Level Dancing and other Maure Castle Refinements

The current Blackrazor campaign.
erilar

Re: Level Dancing and other Maure Castle Refinements

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:Sven is there for 1 meta game reason and one character driven reason.
Meta game, the party needed a wizard after James moved, and I didn't really like the one shot guy i rolled up.

In game, Hoggarth is there. He completed most of the Dwarven adventures and is named "Dwarf Friend" (even though he's Chaotic, :p)

If it seems a rough fit to you guys, I'm okay with teleporting Sven out there.
Isn't Sven more ticked off at the Obsidian Tower members than the Blackrazors in general? I thought that was the deal, but I wasn't around for most of Sven's play.

As for Hogarth and his "chaotic" nature, there's chaotic and there's chaotic. Hogarth in particular is chaotic in the textbook definition, as in free-spirited and individualistic, advocating of personal freedoms, etc. Not the Blackrazor definition of "hmm, we've got a problem here. What we need it a building to burn." Besides, you've most likely all heard it from me before, but IMO alignments are an extremely lacking and ineffective tool for describing the personality and disposition of a pretend person. Then again, our country insists on only two political parties...

I digress (ramble?). Hogarth saw a people displaced from their home and wanted to help fight alongside them to regain it. Didn't hurt that the place was teeming with the undead and rife with treasure, but he did want to help for helping's sake as well.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Isn't Sven more ticked off at the Obsidian Tower members than the Blackrazors in general? I thought that was the deal, but I wasn't around for most of Sven's play.
His initial ire was for the Tower and Wizardry Guild, but spread to include the Blackrazors after the "Against the Giants" subcampaign. Consider this line from Bob's write-up on Sven in the "Order of the Broken Staff" postfest:

"He also greatly dislikes and distrusts the Blackrazor Guild as a whole, even though he maintains a dwelling across the street from the Blackrazor Guild Compound."

With that in mind, would it make sense for him to hang around, even with Hogarth there? He's checked in, made sure that the dwarf-friend is ok, but now he's going to trust the Blackrazors to watch his back in one of the most dangerous dungeons he's ever seen?

It does seem a tad ... unlikely. Is Sven's like of Hogarth and magical curiousity sufficient to overcome what amounts to near hatred for the Blackrazors he'd have to adventure with?

At the same time though, I'd like Bob to be able to play a character he'll enjoy (I personally liked Shamus, who seemed like a good fit for the dungeoncrawl).

One last point that I'd like to make is that this is our token *Blackrazor* campaign -- it's our touch stone to all those classic Blackrazor adventures of old, and I'd like to keep it associated with the guild (meaning that some of the new party members join on with the guild, we use guild resources to help with the adventure, etc.).
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah... what happened to Seamus? He was a cool PC (and a good candidate for the Blackrazor Guild :twisted: )

If I was playing another PC, they likely wouldn't be concerned as much... but Ian was unoffically appointed "Guild Enforcer", so unless you're a dues paying member, information on the guild's secret agendas is scant, and you adventure at your own risk by not being afforded the "benefits" of membership.

Rex was allegedly a reinforcement sent by Malphas (along with Seamus?), and we met Alistair, Charybdis and Thorinn in the dungeon itself.

NukeHavoc wrote:At the same time though, I'd like Bob to be able to play a character he'll enjoy (I personally liked Shamus, who seemed like a good fit for the dungeoncrawl).

One last point that I'd like to make is that this is our token *Blackrazor* campaign -- it's our touch stone to all those classic Blackrazor adventures of old, and I'd like to keep it associated with the guild (meaning that some of the new party members join on with the guild, we use guild resources to help with the adventure, etc.).
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Rex, Seamus, and Thorinn were just part of another adventuring group If I recall correctly. We were just here for loot. However after we "ran into" the iron golem, we broke apart and Rex and Seamus ran into the Blackrazors where we made a quick alliance agreeing to negotiate our share with the guild leader later. Thorinn ran into us as well and joined a bit (week) later.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Rex, Seamus, and Thorinn were just part of another adventuring group If I recall correctly. We were just here for loot. However after we "ran into" the iron golem, we broke apart and Rex and Seamus ran into the Blackrazors where we made a quick alliance agreeing to negotiate our share with the guild leader later. Thorinn ran into us as well and joined a bit (week) later.
Exactly. They were all members of a doomed expedition, as was Alister (for simplicities sake, we might just want to say that they were all part of the same group, since Alister also ran like a sissy from the golem...)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Yeah... what happened to Seamus? He was a cool PC (and a good candidate for the Blackrazor Guild :twisted: )
I agree. While the whole "I'm a monk" thing might have gotten old after a while, what i liked most about that PC was that Bob was never saying "umm, I cast fireball" or some such generic D&D thing. I'm not sure why you don't like him Bob (though I suspect it has something to do with Sven and his new kick-ass staff...)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, I had intended to play Sven from the beginning but since I forgot him, I made up a new guy on the spot. He didn't have much magical equipment to speak of and I didn't really take the time to min/max him. :)
'Sides, I'm not sure where he is right now ........
NukeHavoc wrote:
setanta14 wrote:Yeah... what happened to Seamus? He was a cool PC (and a good candidate for the Blackrazor Guild :twisted: )
I agree. While the whole "I'm a monk" thing might have gotten old after a while, what i liked most about that PC was that Bob was never saying "umm, I cast fireball" or some such generic D&D thing. I'm not sure why you don't like him Bob (though I suspect it has something to do with Sven and his new kick-ass staff...)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Then min/max him if you must, buy your stuff with the expected character wealth, join the guild, then buy more stuff with your share of the loot. :wink:

EvilGenius wrote:Well, I had intended to play Sven from the beginning but since I forgot him, I made up a new guy on the spot. He didn't have much magical equipment to speak of and I didn't really take the time to min/max him. :)
'Sides, I'm not sure where he is right now ........
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sven dislikes (mostly in this order):

1) Obsidian Tower
2) Malphus
3) BR Guild

The straw that broke the camel's back was when the guild decided to use 1 or 2 wishes to resurrect Malphus, and then then they added insult to injury my making Malphus Guildmaster. When Mal came back, both Sven and Luc left their BR Badges on the bartop and left. They quickly sold off all of their guild shares.
erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Sven is there for 1 meta game reason and one character driven reason.
Meta game, the party needed a wizard after James moved, and I didn't really like the one shot guy i rolled up.

In game, Hoggarth is there. He completed most of the Dwarven adventures and is named "Dwarf Friend" (even though he's Chaotic, :p)

If it seems a rough fit to you guys, I'm okay with teleporting Sven out there.
Isn't Sven more ticked off at the Obsidian Tower members than the Blackrazors in general? I thought that was the deal, but I wasn't around for most of Sven's play.

As for Hogarth and his "chaotic" nature, there's chaotic and there's chaotic. Hogarth in particular is chaotic in the textbook definition, as in free-spirited and individualistic, advocating of personal freedoms, etc. Not the Blackrazor definition of "hmm, we've got a problem here. What we need it a building to burn." Besides, you've most likely all heard it from me before, but IMO alignments are an extremely lacking and ineffective tool for describing the personality and disposition of a pretend person. Then again, our country insists on only two political parties...

I digress (ramble?). Hogarth saw a people displaced from their home and wanted to help fight alongside them to regain it. Didn't hurt that the place was teeming with the undead and rife with treasure, but he did want to help for helping's sake as well.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:The straw that broke the camel's back was when the guild decided to use 1 or 2 wishes to resurrect Malphus, and then then they added insult to injury my making Malphus Guildmaster. When Mal came back, both Sven and Luc left their BR Badges on the bartop and left. They quickly sold off all of their guild shares.
That's about the time I think all the lawful characters left -- D'klar also left then (as did Morriam, but I'm not sure on that). Plus there were now more opportunities outside fo the guild for them (Delven & Sons, the Geoff lands, the hidden dwarven Pomarj settlement) so staying didn't make much sense.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Then min/max him if you must, buy your stuff with the expected character wealth, join the guild, then buy more stuff with your share of the loot. :wink:
I agree!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Alright. I'm creating my new character and I have a question about how we do magical treasure.

I've taken the Feat Craft Wand. If I choose as starting equipment wands of spells that I can cast (and therefore create), can I pay half price for them, assuming that they were wands I have created?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I've taken the Feat Craft Wand. If I choose as starting equipment wands of spells that I can cast (and therefore create), can I pay half price for them, assuming that they were wands I have created?
Sure.