Level Dancing and other Maure Castle Refinements

The current Blackrazor campaign.
NukeHavoc

Level Dancing and other Maure Castle Refinements

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'd like to make a few tweaks to the Maure Castle to hopefully make it more enjoyable for everyone, and to hopefully evolve it beyond a simple (ok, horribly complex and deadly) dungeon crawl.

Experience Bump

Because of the ahem, body count, the PCs haven't been leveling quite as quickly as I'd like, or the dungeon needs. For that reason, I'm going to gift everyone 5,000 xp. Based on my calcs, that should level a bunch of you, and that should place even the new 12th level guys near to 13th.

By the skin of their teeth...

Maure Castle is lethal, and the party doesn't have near the resources that the Redshirts did on the Temple of Elemental Evil quest (what with the problematic "Unopenable Door" and the fact that the castle's far from any town or city.

With that in mind, I'd like to propose implementing action points in this portion of the campaign.

Each character would have 11 action points to start with. I expect these will come in pretty handy in avoiding some of the more ... deadly ... aspects of Maure Castle. Of course, the lethalness is part of the dungeon's charm, but I think this will give everyone some breathing room.

Role-playing Opportunities

While the alert sent to Eli by the guard you forced to touch the sign does make things a little more pressing, there isn't a big clicking clock of doom going in this campaign, so we could take the occasional side trek. That's made difficult by the remoteness of Maure Castle, but the party now has two teleporters: Alister (who's been hanging out at base camp when James isn't around) and Sven (assuming he sticks around)

I'd like to suggest we occasionally retreat from the castle and spend some time exploring Seltaren, the city in Urnst (was it the county or the duchy Nate?). If nothing else, it would provide let us visit a place in Greyhawk where we haven't spent a lot of time.

I'd also like to get some fleshed out back stories for Thorin and Rex; right now they're just walking statblocks, and I'd like all of us to have a better idea of who/what they are. (this is particularly important for Rex, given his CN alignment).

One last thing -- from here on out I'd like to keep the character/player ratio at 1:1 just to keep things moving quicker. If we need Charybdis along as a cleric, I'll run her as an NPC ... but I've got another idea in mind for that.

Reinforcements

Malphas, recognizing Maure Castle for the potential magical treasure trove it is (look at all those +1 swords, suits of armor, and natural amulets), will be dispatching some assistance in the form of a new NPC cleric and some leveled Redshirts (to protect the base camp). More on that later.
setanta14

Re: Level Dancing and other Maure Castle Refinements

Post by setanta14 »

Seltaren is in the Duchy of Urnst... it was the old capitol before it was moved to Leukish. Its basically an old city where the majority of the nobles (Suel families) live... See the LG Gazetteer
NukeHavoc wrote:I'd like to suggest we occasionally retreat from the castle and spend some time exploring Seltaren, the city in Urnst (was it the county or the duchy Nate?). If nothing else, it would provide let us visit a place in Greyhawk where we haven't spent a lot of time.
Sounds good... I'd rather play only one PC at a time.
NukeHavoc wrote:One last thing -- from here on out I'd like to keep the character/player ratio at 1:1 just to keep things moving quicker. If we need Charybdis along as a cleric, I'll run her as an NPC ... but I've got another idea in mind for that.

Our original motivation for going to Maure Castle was more than just a treasure hunt... George Fillerman had uncovered evidence of several cults operating there:

Cult of the Long Shadow: Constructed a "Shadow Vault", containing many of their treasures

Cult of Death Undying (Nerull): Trying to bring the Fading Land of Necros to the reality of the Flanaess... evidence was uncovered referring to that demi-plane?, and the possibility that the Cult could possibly be seeking this.

While so far we have not uncovered evidence of either, we have discovered evidence of at least three other cults... Malcanthet-the Queen of Succubi, the Purple Stone guys, and the Claws of Yeenoghu/Kerzit?, and possibly others.
NukeHavoc wrote:Reinforcements

Malphas, recognizing Maure Castle for the potential magical treasure trove it is (look at all those +1 swords, suits of armor, and natural amulets), will be dispatching some assistance in the form of a new NPC cleric and some leveled Redshirts (to protect the base camp). More on that later.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Preventing the Fading Land of Necros from making a re-appearance is a worthy goal, but one known only to Ian and .... who else? True-to-form, you haven't been too willing to share sensative info, Nate.

As to the other cults, yeah, they're mean and evil and stuff. Stopping them is a worthy heroic goal. I'm down with that. But I also really like the idea of retreating from the place periodically, and even switching out characters (keeping to only 1 per player).

This is the sort of thing that some clerics may want to get involved in ....
Our original motivation for going to Maure Castle was more than just a treasure hunt... George Fillerman had uncovered evidence of several cults operating there:

Cult of the Long Shadow: Constructed a "Shadow Vault", containing many of their treasures

Cult of Death Undying (Nerull): Trying to bring the Fading Land of Necros to the reality of the Flanaess... evidence was uncovered referring to that demi-plane?, and the possibility that the Cult could possibly be seeking this.

While so far we have not uncovered evidence of either, we have discovered evidence of at least three other cults... Malcanthet-the Queen of Succubi, the Purple Stone guys, and the Claws of Yeenoghu/Kerzit?, and possibly others.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Uh... it was on Ken's handout that everyone got before the adventure... I thought it was common knowledge (if not to all characters, then at least to all players).

Here are some things on the "to do" list:
1. Retreat from Maure Castle (either to Seltaren, or Greyhawk City) to sell/distribute our items/loot

2. Do more research on Eli Tomorass (probably could only be done in Greyhawk City)

3. Research Kerzit and the Tome of the Black Heart

4. Go back to Maure Castle, looking for clues to the Shadow Vault, and Necros primarily
EvilGenius wrote:Preventing the Fading Land of Necros from making a re-appearance is a worthy goal, but one known only to Ian and .... who else? True-to-form, you haven't been too willing to share sensative info, Nate.

As to the other cults, yeah, they're mean and evil and stuff. Stopping them is a worthy heroic goal. I'm down with that. But I also really like the idea of retreating from the place periodically, and even switching out characters (keeping to only 1 per player).

NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Uh... it was on Ken's handout that everyone got before the adventure... I thought it was common knowledge (if not to all characters, then at least to all players).
All of the original members of the Maure Castle expedition knew the reason for it because you were all briefed by George Fillerman as to the nature of the threat. George's initial briefing is available online as part of the "Unopenable Doors" saga write up.

As far as who knows about that, all of the Blackrazor PCs should, but here's the roster from the first days of the expedition:

Korem, human cleric of Kelanen (Jess)
Fontain the Hand, halfling mage (Jon)
Scrappy, human rogue (Damon)
Willum, human cleric of Pelor (Bob)
Ian, human ranger (Nate)

Ken
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sorry Nate. I was being grouchy the other day. :)

But you did keep that objective hidden when Sven showed up. I specifically asked what the objectives were and all Ian would say was that you were after loot, and you shushed damon when he started to say something about the other objective.

But it's no big deal. There's enough here to interest Sven and ensure continued involvement.
setanta14 wrote:Uh... it was on Ken's handout that everyone got before the adventure... I thought it was common knowledge (if not to all characters, then at least to all players).

Here are some things on the "to do" list:
1. Retreat from Maure Castle (either to Seltaren, or Greyhawk City) to sell/distribute our items/loot

2. Do more research on Eli Tomorass (probably could only be done in Greyhawk City)

3. Research Kerzit and the Tome of the Black Heart

4. Go back to Maure Castle, looking for clues to the Shadow Vault, and Necros primarily
EvilGenius wrote:Preventing the Fading Land of Necros from making a re-appearance is a worthy goal, but one known only to Ian and .... who else? True-to-form, you haven't been too willing to share sensative info, Nate.

erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:All of the original members of the Maure Castle expedition knew the reason for it because you were all briefed by George Fillerman as to the nature of the threat. George's initial briefing is available online as part of the "Unopenable Doors" saga write up.
So, being one of the clueless (typical?), I read this info. Only thing I couldn't glean was the nature of this Unopenable Door(s)?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:So, being one of the clueless (typical?), I read this info. Only thing I couldn't glean was the nature of this Unopenable Door(s)?
They are Unopenable. :) By this I mean that it you can't open them by normal means -- lockpicking won't work, breaking them won't work -- the only way past them is teleportation or planar travel, certain magical items, and waiting for someone to open the Doors from the inside.

The Doors themselves block the entrance to the Ruins of Maure Castle, on the first level. The Blackrazors dealt with them early on, and have largely bypassed them since then.

Does that answer your question?
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: The Doors themselves block the entrance to the Ruins of Maure Castle, on the first level. The Blackrazors dealt with them early on, and have largely bypassed them since then.

Kind of. So, these were the doors that one needs to breach to get into the castle itself? How did we get through them? Can one get out once one gets in? :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, Maure Castle is a mile or so away. The Unopenable Doors are the legendary entrance to a dungeon complex that's near the ruins (mile or so away). The Dungeon Complex is one that was explored decades ago by Mordenkanen and pals.

They open from the inside, so you can always get out. The first group got through them by waiting until some gnolls who live inside opened them to come out. :)

Subsequently, you can past by Dimension Door pretty easily. :)
erilar wrote:
NukeHavoc wrote: The Doors themselves block the entrance to the Ruins of Maure Castle, on the first level. The Blackrazors dealt with them early on, and have largely bypassed them since then.

Kind of. So, these were the doors that one needs to breach to get into the castle itself? How did we get through them? Can one get out once one gets in? :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:[Kind of. So, these were the doors that one needs to breach to get into the castle itself? How did we get through them? Can one get out once one gets in? :)
Yes. (though to be clear, the dungeon you are presently exploring lies perhaps 1/4 mile from the ruins of the castle). You need to get past the Doors to get into the dungeon.

As to how the party got in, the first time I think they waited for a gnoll patrol to come out, ambushed them, then ran inside before the Doors could close. The second time (with the Undead Horrors behind them) Alister (James' character) teleported them past the doors (and accidentally into a trapped chamber). I think this is how Sven got in as well.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Right... specifically because you were then playing Sven the Guildquitter on a guild adventure, and not Willum any longer... orders is orders ya know :D

EvilGenius wrote:Sorry Nate. I was being grouchy the other day. :)

But you did keep that objective hidden when Sven showed up. I specifically asked what the objectives were and all Ian would say was that you were after loot, and you shushed damon when he started to say something about the other objective.

But it's no big deal. There's enough here to interest Sven and ensure continued involvement.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well then you can't expect Sven to attach any particular importance to that goal. :)

setanta14 wrote:Right... specifically because you were then playing Sven the Guildquitter on a guild adventure, and not Willum any longer... orders is orders ya know :D
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I wouldn't expect him to, being that he is no longer a guildmember, and also has a personal disdain for the Blackrazors in general... it didn't seem to make sense that you would play that particular character on this specific adventure, due to its heavy guild influence... its like me playing Tanevir on one of the dwarven adventures... his potential is there, but doesn't quite fit in... unless you can think of a reason why the lawful Sven would deliberately want to adventure with the chaotic Blackrazors when there isn't huge rewards to be had?

I'd really like you to continue with us through Maure Castle, but the whole Sven/Blackrazor conflict thing seems like it would always get in the way. Willum seemed like a good choice... until he self-destructed by donning all of the sex/alignment changing cursed items :lol:

EvilGenius wrote:Well then you can't expect Sven to attach any particular importance to that goal. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Sven is there for 1 meta game reason and one character driven reason.
Meta game, the party needed a wizard after James moved, and I didn't really like the one shot guy i rolled up.

In game, Hoggarth is there. He completed most of the Dwarven adventures and is named "Dwarf Friend" (even though he's Chaotic, :p)

If it seems a rough fit to you guys, I'm okay with teleporting Sven out there.
setanta14 wrote:I wouldn't expect him to, being that he is no longer a guildmember, and also has a personal disdain for the Blackrazors in general... it didn't seem to make sense that you would play that particular character on this specific adventure, due to its heavy guild influence... its like me playing Tanevir on one of the dwarven adventures... his potential is there, but doesn't quite fit in... unless you can think of a reason why the lawful Sven would deliberately want to adventure with the chaotic Blackrazors when there isn't huge rewards to be had?

I'd really like you to continue with us through Maure Castle, but the whole Sven/Blackrazor conflict thing seems like it would always get in the way. Willum seemed like a good choice... until he self-destructed by donning all of the sex/alignment changing cursed items :lol:

EvilGenius wrote:Well then you can't expect Sven to attach any particular importance to that goal. :)