New OB Guild Proposal: Final Rest

The current Blackrazor campaign.
EvilGenius

New OB Guild Proposal: Final Rest

Post by EvilGenius »

It occurs to me that with OB's history with the Undead and the threat of Necros, there really is a niche for an undead fighting guild.

Traditionally, that role is left to various churches, who have their own methods and abilities. But a guild that could pull in clerics of Pelor and clerics of St Cuthbert and druids of Obad Hai and various Paladins and well, really any character's that just want to focus on fighting the undead threats to OB would be a cool guild.

So I'm going to put together a proposal, and make a guy who can do it. I'm thinking that in tone, the Guild is going to be neutral good, to allow cooperation between various factions.

Nate, can I borrow your DMG2 and Complete Divine this week?
setanta14

Re: New OB Guild Proposal: Final Rest

Post by setanta14 »

I really like the idea. I would add Wee Jas to the list of supporting faiths, though there are few of her faithful in OB (which is a shame, because she's HOT).

Is this the PC you will play in Maure Castle?

Last, I don't own CD yet, but I'll bring my DMGII.
EvilGenius wrote:It occurs to me that with OB's history with the Undead and the threat of Necros, there really is a niche for an undead fighting guild.

Traditionally, that role is left to various churches, who have their own methods and abilities. But a guild that could pull in clerics of Pelor and clerics of St Cuthbert and druids of Obad Hai and various Paladins and well, really any character's that just want to focus on fighting the undead threats to OB would be a cool guild.

So I'm going to put together a proposal, and make a guy who can do it. I'm thinking that in tone, the Guild is going to be neutral good, to allow cooperation between various factions.

EvilGenius

Re: New OB Guild Proposal: Final Rest

Post by EvilGenius »

Yes, this is the PC I'd play in Maure Castle. (and yes, she is HAWT!)

I'm thinking that there would be a lot of clerics/paladins/druids but also a lot of other classes who had suffered at the hands of the undead. Lots of that prestige class (Hunters of the Dead?).

My character will prob be a former fighter, now cleric. Maybe Hunter of the Dead.
setanta14 wrote:I really like the idea. I would add Wee Jas to the list of supporting faiths, though there are few of her faithful in OB (which is a shame, because she's HOT).

Is this the PC you will play in Maure Castle?

Last, I don't own CD yet, but I'll bring my DMGII.
EvilGenius wrote:It occurs to me that with OB's history with the Undead and the threat of Necros, there really is a niche for an undead fighting guild.

Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I've got CD. I'll bring it along.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Thanks!
Hardcorhobbs wrote:I've got CD. I'll bring it along.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Cool beans. I like the idea -- how many people do you think would be in a guild like this? 20? 30? This should work nicely with my Pelor write-up, since you've got to assume a few of them would be in this (as well as the Order of the Sun Blade, the martial/adventuring arm of the Church of Pelor).

Ken
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hmm, you guys are going to tease Hogarth away from the BR's... ;)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Actually I'm starting to see a place for Kerth from the dark city campaign... or at least something for him to look into. I'm not sure at this point what would draw him to Bob's proposed guild... but he helps out where he can. But being drawn into a militant wing or guild could be something he'd consider.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

20-30 members is what I was thinking. They'll cooperate with other Guilds and Churches, I think. So membership won't necessarily preclude or take precedence over, say membership in the BRs or the Church of Pelor.

I think out of the membership, there are maybe 15-20 members for whom Final Rest is their primary affiliation and then maybe that many more in casual association with select members of other Guilds and Churches.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I like the idea a lot, though I gotta say, the name makes me think of an old folks home for adventurers. :) (and you wondered where Demetry had wandered off to...)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, I suppose the name is open to negotiation, but I like Final Rest. Everyone is free to submit suggestions, but it'll have to be pretty good to overcome Final Rest. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, Final Rest is the term for the condition that the guild imposes on undead... so something along that vein...

Also, since Bob envisions this as being partly a stand-alone guild, and partly a cooperative organization for individuals with similar beliefs, but are members of other guilds, chruches, what-have-you, maybe the strict term of "guild" shouldn't be used in the name itself.

Perhaps something like...

Deathwarders
Unfettered Souls
Sanctified Grave (nah, on second thought scratch this one)
The Sentinels of Death's Door

[insert one of the following where desired: Order of the ___, Company of the ___, or ___ Society]

EvilGenius wrote:Well, I suppose the name is open to negotiation, but I like Final Rest. Everyone is free to submit suggestions, but it'll have to be pretty good to overcome Final Rest. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Another question... are you planning on this being a yet-undiscovered-by-our-PC's, but existing guild, or will it be forming in the present/near future?

The Persuaders came into existance last Dark City session at the DaggerDown in game... would Final Rest be formed by perhaps inviting those thought to be interested among the city's inhabitants to a private meeting by your PC to hear his proposal and to discuss its formation, charter, etc.? Or would this be considered to have been done in the recent past, and the organization already up and running?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm figuring that would have been done in the immediate past, right before this founding character came on the maure castle adventure.

setanta14 wrote:Another question... are you planning on this being a yet-undiscovered-by-our-PC's, but existing guild, or will it be forming in the present/near future?

The Persuaders came into existance last Dark City session at the DaggerDown in game... would Final Rest be formed by perhaps inviting those thought to be interested among the city's inhabitants to a private meeting by your PC to hear his proposal and to discuss its formation, charter, etc.? Or would this be considered to have been done in the recent past, and the organization already up and running?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

It all sounds very cool. I suggest we make this our January "postfest", so we can create some NPCs to flesh it out (and that gives Bob enough time to post a summary description, and maybe an NPC profile or two for the guild's leaders, so we know what to shoot for.)

Ken