Item Creation

The current Blackrazor campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Item Creation

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Hey guys, I was thinking about my Bane of Dwarves bow last night. Its a +2 composite longbow with a +1 str bonus. The reason I havent been using it is because unless its a dwarf, I can do more damage with my +1 composite longbow with a +4 str bonus. What I was wondering is could I get the Bane of Dwarves bow modified to a +4 str bonus? It is the better bow, so I really cant justify selling it over my current bow. But it'd be nice if I could do as much dmg with this one as I can with my current. I've been unable to find anything on this in the rules.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

You can further enchant a bow (or any magical item) but you can't increase the bonus str damage. With bows, that's a non-magical aspect of construction determined when you make the bow (stronger wood, heavier pull, etc).

Similarly, you couldn't take a normal +1 longsword and modify it into a +1 mithril longsword.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Thanks. Guess I'll need to find some magical means to modify it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

One thing you may want to consider is just selling the dwarf-bane bow and using the gold to further enchant your +1 bow. To increase the enchantment on your +1 bow to a +2 bow would cost 6000gp (8k for a +2 weap - 2k for already being +1).

To increase the enchant to +2 and add a +1 special ability (like Bane, and you could choose your own type) would cost 16K.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Yup. Because it's already a +3 enchantment I wanted to hang on to it. But I defintly think your right. Selling it and upgrading what I have is the better option.

As a matter of fact, I should look into getting all my gear upgraded with my share of the monies...