The Flocktime Expedition

The current Blackrazor campaign.
NukeHavoc

The Flocktime Expedition

Post by NukeHavoc »

Who intends to join the next treacherous expedition to Maure Castle? Dworkin is lining up volunteers now, so volunteer early and often so that you get a place on the next challenge-filled adventure to the subterrean lairs of the mad Maure family!

I'd like to suggest that everyone have *two* characters ready to roll in Maure Castle, even if that means creating a second character. The dungeon's lethal, and I don't want anyone to be idle if their character gets reduced to a small cloud of dust. :)

On a related note, I'm thinking that Mal would use some of the riches acquired from Skel's Lair to formally start a guild hall in Seltaren, where these extra characters could hang out and prepare to be tagged in.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Silas Dunharrow will be my primary character (Fighter 6/Expert 4/Royal Explorer 2)

Ian will retire from Maure Castle to run his new business in OB.

I'll make up a new back-up.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'll be bringing Fonteyn "The Hand" back to Maure Castle. He's now 14th level, btw, after Skel and Eyebiter.

Also, we kinda need to resolve the loot from those adventures, as I'd want Fonteyn to have his stuff before he ventures into Maure Castle.

I'll be making a backup character to bring should he not survive.

Ken, creation guidelines if we need to make new characters? Levels, extra gear to make them survivable, etc.?
malphas

new guild digs...

Post by malphas »

isn't the swamphold guildhall or hardby or greyhawk city closer to maure
castle?

it doesn't make sense to open up a new guildhall if we aready have holdings closer. "being an international operation we can't afford to open up a franchise in every little podunk town."

i don't know how much surplus cash the guild has on hand
the hochock & gorna guild outposts were generously financed by the duke of geoff.

i would imagine we could spare $10k to cover property accuistion, taxes & fees

we can use our yearly stipend from geoff to "upgrade" the gorna guild
headquarters to open another gate to urnst and if some supplies earmarked to gorna or hochoch accidentally get put in the magic closet and disapear to some location in another country which also happens to be owned by us,
who's to say what happened to them. we are adventurers, not accountants
after-all.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Ken, creation guidelines if we need to make new characters? Levels, extra gear to make them survivable, etc.?
30 pt buy, 13th level, standard and magic items selection as per the Starting Equipment spreadsheet (http://www.griffcrier.com/downloads/)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: new guild digs...

Post by NukeHavoc »

malphas wrote:isn't the swamphold guildhall or hardby or greyhawk city closer to maure
Dworkin (the guild's master of delvers and follower of Dalt, a new hire Mal approved ... really he did) will nod respectfully and then say "true sir, but the problem is one of resources. Swamphold is, well, a swamp. It has little in the way of exceptional resources for us to take advantage of, where as Seltaren is the former capital of the Duchy of Urnst. Its streets are practically paved in history, to the point that the Maures themselves once walked some of its cobblestones.

The city has magical resources in the form of the guild, which our new loremaster -- Alistar, I believe his name is -- belongs to, and has been able to use to gain us insight into the dangers and wonders of the castle ruins. Moreover, it is a large city, one capable of purchasing much of the more mundane plunder we take from the castle.

As Greyhawk is presently barred to us, and with it Hardby, it seemed like the next best option."
malphas

Post by malphas »

NukeHavoc wrote:
malphas wrote:isn't the swamphold guildhall or hardby or greyhawk city closer to maure
As Greyhawk is presently barred to us, and with it Hardby, it seemed like the next best option."
"that can be changed easily enough. if say certain members of nobility of a well respected and sympathetically viewed duchy, for example geoff were appointed as ambassadors to the jewel of the flaness, it would reflect very poorly on their host cities if any harm were to befall them. greyhawk may be a city of thieves, but it is also a city of delicate politics and bureaucracy. just to be on the side of caution perhaps we should start pricing properties in seltaren"
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

malphas wrote:"that can be changed easily enough. if say certain members of nobility of a well respected and sympathetically viewed duchy, for example geoff were appointed as ambassadors to the jewel of the flaness, it would reflect very poorly on their host cities if any harm were to befall them. greyhawk may be a city of thieves, but it is also a city of delicate politics and bureaucracy. just to be on the side of caution perhaps we should start pricing properties in seltaren"
Blackrazors as ambassadors to Greyhawk from Geoff ... I give them 3 months before the embassy burned down. :)

In all seriousness though, I doubt the Duke would do that, at least from what we've seen of him via Nate's Westmarks campaign. I think he'd be happy to send Blackrazors off to kill monsters and such, but ... diplomacy? I think not ... though I'd defer to Nate on that one.
malphas

Post by malphas »

NukeHavoc wrote: Blackrazors as ambassadors to Greyhawk from Geoff ... I give them 3 months before the embassy burned down. :)
if the ambassador from the great kingdom can be afforded diplomatic immunity and clandestine protection from the CoG (oops our bad) then why not the ambassadors of geoff
NukeHavoc wrote: In all seriousness though, I doubt the Duke would do that, at least from what we've seen of him via Nate's Westmarks campaign. I think he'd be happy to send Blackrazors off to kill monsters and such, but ... diplomacy? I think not ... though I'd defer to Nate on that one.
some of us can be quite diplomatic and very persuasive*cough*greggor*cough*
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

malphas wrote:if the ambassador from the great kingdom can be afforded diplomatic immunity and clandestine protection from the CoG (oops our bad) then why not the ambassadors of geoff
Yeah, but even they didn't destroy Innspa. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah, Grand Duke Owen had appointed the Countess Sierra Blackblade as his diplomat to the Kingdom of Keoland, and any relations with Greyhawk would likely be handled throught the King Skotti's Court of the Lion Throne, as Geoff is a vassal state of Keoland.

If Geoff had any of its own representation in Greyhawk at all, official or otherwise, it would likely be handled through the Prydythi (Old Lore Bards), as was the case with the man known as Ninian ap Ioseff, who served as a professor at Grey College for over a decade.

The leader of the Geoff Rangers (Olwythi), Cuthalion Strongbow, would likely have communications with the leaders of the Gnarley Rangers, but this would be unofficial, and just a means of sharing intel.

NukeHavoc wrote:In all seriousness though, I doubt the Duke would do that, at least from what we've seen of him via Nate's Westmarks campaign. I think he'd be happy to send Blackrazors off to kill monsters and such, but ... diplomacy? I think not ... though I'd defer to Nate on that one.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Does anyone have the Heroes of Horror book?
NukeHavoc wrote:
Jonkga wrote:Ken, creation guidelines if we need to make new characters? Levels, extra gear to make them survivable, etc.?
30 pt buy, 13th level, standard and magic items selection as per the Starting Equipment spreadsheet (http://www.griffcrier.com/downloads/)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Not I, Nate.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Does anyone have the Heroes of Horror book?
No, I don't think anyone ever picked up that book.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Just wanted to say that I've been reading the two expansions for Maure Castle -- Chamber of Antiquities and The Greater Halls -- and I'm really excited to run this dungeoncrawl again. There is so much great stuff in here -- I can't wait for you guys to find it all. Oh sure, it's still hideously deadly, but some of the stuff that Rob Kuntz has added on the deeper levels is just vintage 1st edition D&D (and in a good way).