Flaws and Alternate Powers

For Mutants & Masterminds prep and discussion.
NukeHavoc

Flaws and Alternate Powers

Post by NukeHavoc »

Bob (and the other M&M experts)

I'm working on a villain who has a 2pp/rank primary power with a -1pp/rank flaw and five alternate powers. Assuming 10 ranks in the primary power, that yields a cost of 20pp (10 ranks x 2 pp for the power) -10pp (-1 per rank for the flaw) = 10pp + 5pp for the five alternate powers

So my question is ... how many power points do I have for the alternative powers? 20, because that's the true cost of the power before the flaw, or only 10 because of the flaw.

I'm assuming 20 because that feels right; otherwise the relatively minor -1 pp flaw becomes pretty serious.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

each of the alternate powers are limited to 10pp because that's the number of pp you are 'spending' on the primary power.

it does make flaws much more serious, but it also gives you more bang for your buck on extras.

it's also one of the reasons that Paladin's various powers (which are almost all in arrays) are ranked so high. I based them off of a primary power with a high cost.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:it does make flaws much more serious, but it also gives you more bang for your buck on extras.
how so?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:each of the alternate powers are limited to 10pp because that's the number of pp you are 'spending' on the primary power.
Hmmm. Ok. I'll just go ahead and drop that flaw. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:it does make flaws much more serious, but it also gives you more bang for your buck on extras.
how so?
Because the extras purchased for the primary power increase the initial power point cost, which increases the # of power points you can spend on an alternate power.

Here's an example:

Blast is 2pp/rank. Purchase 10 ranks for 20 power points.

If you add an extra that increases the cost to 3pp/rank, 10 ranks costs 30 pp. So if you're adding an alternate power, it can cost up to 30pp.

That's useful for powers that cost more than the primary power (for example a 1pp/rank power with an extra that bumps to 2pp/rank and now you can get a good 2pp/rank power as an alternate).