Relax Ma'm, I'm from the Government, I'm here to help :)

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
EvilGenius

Relax Ma'm, I'm from the Government, I'm here to help :)

Post by EvilGenius »

So Kato is going to start investigating the goings on between the Messengers and their opponents, starting with the guild of wizardry.

Kato will contact the Guild at their office/hq (where ever that is) and request to speak with someone regarding the Messengers Guild.

Tenatively, Kato would like to speak to all of the people who claim to be wronged by the Messengers Guild before he speaks to the Messengers themselves.

Based on what he learns, he will then decide what his next course of action should be.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Man, I'm totally lost as to what's going on, and Largo is at the center of all this. I need to do some serious saga reading.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Re: Relax Ma'm, I'm from the Government, I'm here to help :

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:So Kato is going to start investigating the goings on between the Messengers and their opponents, starting with the guild of wizardry. Kato will contact the Guild at their office/hq (where ever that is) and request to speak with someone regarding the Messengers Guild.
Kato speaks with Conzell, Guild Steward. He informs you that the guild has no problems with the Messengers Guild. There was a disagreement, but it has been ... dealt with. Please leave.
EvilGenius wrote:Tenatively, Kato would like to speak to all of the people who claim to be wronged by the Messengers Guild before he speaks to the Messengers themselves. Based on what he learns, he will then decide what his next course of action should be.
Gather Information check please. Don't worry about the dice roller, just roll offline (or at the d20SRD.org) and post to this thread; I trust you. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmm, unfriendly chap. I make a mental note of it and move on.

In Gather Info, I'm looking for general information on the street about the recent goings on; strikes and counter strikes, who the major players are and who stands to benefit from things as they are and as they may end up.

I rolled an 18, plus my Gather skill = 29

:)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

How does Cato present himself as he walks the streets looking for information? Is he saying "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" or does he take a different approach? What's his physical appearance when doing this?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

No, Cato most definitely does not just state "I'm from the government, I'm here to help". But that WOULD be totally funny! :)

I'm fully armed and armored however, people don't KNOW that.

My armor has the Silent Move quality and I have elven boots, so I have a positive modifier to my Move Silently check. I'm not actively trying to sneak around, but the effect I'm going for is that when I'm wearing my armor, I'm not clanking around.

That's important because I also have a Hat of Disguise. :)

So I blend in.

For inquiries to lawful and proper organizations, I appear as myself (though I appear unarmored so that I present less of a threat). I do identify myself as being a representative of the Courts and a follower of Rao.

On the street for general inquiries, I make myself appear as a craftsman type. Simple clothes, but nice. Somewhat worn and smudged. Not armed or armored.

When I want to talk to someone who has specific information I need, I'll usually revert to normal and Diplomacize them. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Hmm, unfriendly chap. I make a mental note of it and move on. In Gather Info, I'm looking for general information on the street about the recent goings on; strikes and counter strikes, who the major players are and who stands to benefit from things as they are and as they may end up. I rolled an 18, plus my Gather skill = 29 :)
In asking around on the street, you're able to learn that the Messengers Guild has been seeking to impose a defacto monopoly on postal delivery within the city. You hear "friend of a friend" tales about former freelance carriers who had run ins with thugs who told them it would be better for their health if they joined a trade guild, as there's no telling what dangers a lone courier might run into on the streets.

Those who did not join the guild encountered some of those dangers, including random run-ins with thugs, runaway wagons that accidentally crush them, etc. One of the poster children for this is a halfling named "Largo Leftpocket" who apparently had his leg broken by such thugs, and was forced into a prolonged recovery at the Bouncing Elf in for upwards of a month.

Word on the street is that some of those who refused to join the Messengers Guild are attempting to form a rival organization known as the Couriers Association, with Largo being the spokesman for that group. Cato's best bet would be to find this halfling and talk with him for more information. It's also known that prominent businessman Promethean Steelbrand has openly sided with the Couriers, and is hiring them to do his messaging work.

Because you rolled so well, you also learn that tensions between the two Messengers and the Couriers eased off in recent weeks as there was apparently some sort of dust up between the Messengers and the Earth Dragons. People have been turning up dead on both sides, and while fingers have been pointed, there's no hard evidence of who was responsible for what. That culminated with the death of a half-dozen Earth Dragon Guards -- including a guard captain -- inside the Earth Dragon compound. But again, no charges have been filed, and no one knows for sure that the Messengers were even responsible. What is known is that the Earth Dragons have become even more protective and paranoid, and have been actively expanding their compound and influence in the Mudsitters District as a result.

Over the last two weeks that particular battle seems to have ended, and the Messengers Guild is turning its attention back to the Couriers. Your government contacts inform you that Ordo has approached the Council of Guilds asking that they grant the Messengers Guild protected trade guild status, effectively granting it a legal monopoly on the postal service in Obsidian Bay.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Okay. I've got some stuff to work with here.

I'm going to check with the City Guard and see what specific information I can find on the Cult of the Earth Dragon and the Messengers Guild.

I'll start with the Mudsitters Guard, because that makes sense. I will present myself as a representative of the OB Courts. See what I can get through 'official' channels.

Then I'll track down largo.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

You walk into the City Guard Barracks of the Mudsitters District to find four guards sitting around playing cards. One of them looks up at you, takes the cigar from his mouth and says "what the hell do you want?"
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

First, I'm going to say "well, my business can wait a little while. mind if I play a few hands? I'm not very good but I sure do love a good game of cards ....."

I'm going to try and loose a bit of coin to them. Not a huge amount, and mostly in copper and one or two silver. Hopefully I'll be able to bring things up all casual-like in the game.

I'm going to present myself as though I've been given a total crap, waste of time job by my "superiors".

I'll be asking about the earth dragon cult and messengers brawls. I'm going to do my best to look totally bored and way more interested in the cards and I'll try to get them to co-miserate with me.

So hopefully I'll be able to create a situation where I can use my Diplomacy/Gather Info skills while their already feeling a little friendly toward me, or at least don't want to make me angry and go away because they want me to keep loosing my coin to them.

:)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:First, I'm going to say "well, my business can wait a little while. mind if I play a few hands? I'm not very good but I sure do love a good game of cards ....."
The man looks somewhat taken aback, as though no one's ever asked to join a guardsmen card game before (and no one probably has). He says "We might have a seat for you. Maybe." He narrows his eyes.

"But first, who the hell are you, and what the hell do you want?"

The man's wearing a well-crafted suit of chainmail armor that gleams despite the layer of dust and grime that covers it. He's got a plain looking scabbard on his belt, but the hilt is filigreed with gold and sliver. If you had to guess, this guy's probably an officer.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:First, I'm going to say "well, my business can wait a little while. mind if I play a few hands? I'm not very good but I sure do love a good game of cards ....."
The man looks somewhat taken aback, as though no one's ever asked to join a guardsmen card game before (and no one probably has). He says "We might have a seat for you. Maybe." He narrows his eyes.

"But first, who the hell are you, and what the hell do you want?"

The man's wearing a well-crafted suit of chainmail armor that gleams despite the layer of dust and grime that covers it. He's got a plain looking scabbard on his belt, but the hilt is filigreed with gold and sliver. If you had to guess, this guy's probably an officer.
Cato laughs a little, "of course, of course! Where are my manners? I'm Cato (I like the actual spelling better than with a K)."

Now Cato looks like he's been given a chump assignment. "I'm a devotee of Rao and I work for the Mayors office and a few of the Courts. I do paperwork, check the facts, verify people's alibi's, make sure they know when to show up and give testimony in court, that sort of thing. Pretty boring, really. (all of which is perfectly true)"

"Anyway, the Messengers Guild is asking the City to check on the legal rights their guild can pursue."

Cato's going to be looking at the card game distractedly while he answers.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

"Quill pusher eh? Should have figured as much ... you've got the look about you. But boy, you're in the wrong place. Guilds? Rights? Pah, that's political crap ... we *work* for a living down here."

(This causes a small round of laughter to come from the card game).