Order 66 podcast

Our KOTOR campaign.
Jonkga

Order 66 podcast

Post by Jonkga »

So, I really tried to give this a shot over the weekend. I downloaded a handful of episodes: a few early ones, some mid ones, and the latest ones. While I could every once in a while glean an interesting factoid from an episode, they were very painful to listen too. All the really stupid "bits" made me want to keep reaching for the off button. And the two hosts themselves reminded me of Jase and Robbie from the PvP comic strips - just a pair of well-meaning but slow frat boys in over their heads. While occasionally they start good discussions, they never seem to really discuss anything too in depth. Rather, they more often than not go for the joke or the half-told story from their own campaign.

I guess overall, these could be seen, IMHO, as good discussion starter material, but they don't really seem to have that much to offer me.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Thanks for checking them out. Sorry you didn't like them more; personally they've been a great help for me in prepping the game, but I agree, they can run a little amok at times (and I usually skip the comedy bits).

Fortunately, there's an alternative for you; WotC's released the second episode of their official Star Wars RPG podcast :)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=st ... /Podcast2v

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I also tried to listen to the podcast about racial options. My reaction was similar to Jon's. I couldn't even listen to a complete episode.

I can't say this without seeming mean, but I don't intend to be insulting with this comment, so keep that in mind.

Every podcast I've ever listened to lacks the professional presentation that I would want from them.

I know that's sort of the point to podcasting; it's amatuer, not professional. And amatuer doesn't equate to bad. But it's a dealbreaker for me. I simply don't want to spend the time listening to a bunch of geeks being geeks. (that sounds harsh. Sorry about that.)

It's okay with you guys because I know you. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I can't say this without seeming mean, but I don't intend to be insulting with this comment, so keep that in mind. Every podcast I've ever listened to lacks the professional presentation that I would want from them. I know that's sort of the point to podcasting; it's amatuer, not professional. And amatuer doesn't equate to bad. But it's a dealbreaker for me. I simply don't want to spend the time listening to a bunch of geeks being geeks.
I understand. It's not for everyone.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I try and listen to podcasts. But time at home is spent on other projects, and I can't really listen at work. I've tried, I end up only hearing 50% of the content.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I try and listen to podcasts. But time at home is spent on other projects, and I can't really listen at work. I've tried, I end up only hearing 50% of the content.
Heh. I usually listen while doing those other projects. :) In fact, I'm looking forward to painting the gaming room so I can get caught up on all my podcasts, but I can see how that could be distracting (or impossible if you're working with power tools).

I think you guys all know my opinions of podcasts, so I won't ramble on about it again here.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone trying them out.

ken
Last edited by NukeHavoc on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Oh, and just to clarify, I didn't want my comment to seem as if I was putting you guys down for listening. Ken, I'm actually glad the 'cast works for you, because I do think they discuss some stuff that can inform our games. I just was having trouble myself with that particular podcast.

And, I'm not down on podcasts as a whole, there are plenty I do like. This one, however, is not presented in a way I can easily get into.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:Heh. I usually listen while doing those other projects. :) In fact, I'm looking forward to painting the gaming room so I can get caught up on all my podcasts, but I can see how that could be distracting (or impossible if you're working with power tools).
Many of my projects around the house involve power tools or someone who wouldn't enjoy said podcasts. The projects where I could listen are instead used to catch up with various TV shows.
Jonkga wrote:Oh, and just to clarify, I didn't want my comment to seem as if I was putting you guys down for listening. Ken, I'm actually glad the 'cast works for you, because I do think they discuss some stuff that can inform our games. I just was having trouble myself with that particular podcast.
I agree completely. Podcasting is an awesome way to catch up on news, reviews, etc. I just wish work made them a bit easier to listen to.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, the comedy bits are not for everybody to be sure. I usually listen straight through, but the vast majority of my podcast listening time is during my commute, and so some stupidity doesn't offended my workday-fried brain too much.

The biggest problem I've had with these particular hosts is the way they present material. Let's say they are going over the talents for a particular class. Each one is either the "best talent in the game - it roxxors!!!", or it's not worth your while. Their critical review could use some more help. Re. GM Dave, I pretty much have the same opinion as Jon - he's not at all articulate and doesn't lend much to the podcast. GM Chris does a good job though, IMO.

Re. Bob's comment on the level of production and polish of podcasts: we're not fans of podcasting because they are amateur. We're fans of podcasts because they exist, and are an additional option for our audio entertainment.

There will never be a professional podcast on Star Wars Saga Edition, or HeroClix, or D&D. There is no sizable audience, and hence no money to entice a professional production.

Note that I'm lumping podcasts such as WotC's SWSE and D&D podcasts, the PC Gamer podcast, the Official Xbox Magazine podcast, etc. into the amateur category, because they still are not full-fledged professional productions. They are still two or three geeks (albeit geeks employed in the field) recording an amateur production.

We gravitate to podcasts because they are an alternative to the crap that pollutes the FM airwaves and doesn't speak to our interests. If someone would have told me 10 years ago that there would be several weekly audio programs dedicated to say D&D, I would have said they were crazy. But there are out there.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I agree completely. Podcasting is an awesome way to catch up on news, reviews, etc. I just wish work made them a bit easier to listen to.
Yeah, it's pretty much impossible for me to listen at work, mostly because the work I do requires too much concentration and anything that's too boring or repetitive, I can usually write a script to do ... which requires too much concentration, so ...

At this point I listen to shows while walking to work, at the gym, and on the rare road trip. Having time to listen to shows is the only thing I miss about my old crappy commute on I-78.

When I remember, I also try and listen when I'm playing RPGs on the Xbox (I'd rather listen to podcasts then say, yet another run through Galaxy News Radio) but I usually forget to dig out the iPod. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:When I remember, I also try and listen when I'm playing RPGs on the Xbox (I'd rather listen to podcasts then say, yet another run through Galaxy News Radio) but I usually forget to dig out the iPod. :)
I can't do that with Fallout. I find I have to listen intently to the background so I know when something spots me before I spot them. (I have poor perception)