GM Tips

Our KOTOR campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

GM Tips

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Question: Threats of the Galaxy is pretty much equivalent to the monster manual?

I ask because now that I'm getting into the nitty-gritty of planning out the session it seems like there aren't all that many examples. Almost seems like I should go pick it up.

Also if you have any other tips to share throw them in. Specifically I'm looking at Ken regarding calculating encounters (because we all know he learned a lesson with the vibro knives ;-))
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Ah, I found Ken's review of Threats of the Galaxy: http://www.nuketown.com/games/reviews/starwarsthreats

I thought I read that before. I'm going to pick up a copy tonight. Go Go Christmas gift cards!
NukeHavoc

Re: GM Tips

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Question: Threats of the Galaxy is pretty much equivalent to the monster manual?
Also if you have any other tips to share throw them in. Specifically I'm looking at Ken regarding calculating encounters (because we all know he learned a lesson with the vibro knives ;-))
yes, definitely pick it up; it's very useful to have on hand, both for ideas and instant NPC creation. I've photocopied a bunch of the ones I think I'm going to use (like slicers, information brokers, etc.) and thrown them into my campaign book for quick reference.

As far as designs go ... I've been keeping my named villains at 2nd-3rd level, with a few exceptions (the Sith were 3rd level; Koth was 4th; the pirate lieutenant was 4th, but you never actually fought him)

Keep in mind that you can use non-heroic levels (covered in the core rule book) to make more average NPCs; non-heroic characters don't get talents and have a few other limitations that make them less tough than your average character. You get 4 non-heroic levels to every heroic one, so they're useful for creating NPCs who are a little tougher (or weaker) than the PCs. (e.g. you could create a Scoundrel 1/Non-Heroic 2 for an NPC who isn't quite a CL 2).

I've been using Non-Heroic 2 and Non-Heroic 3 mooks, but keep in mind that even a mook can easily kill a PC if you give him a blaster rifle, so be sure to keep an eye on how much damage their weapons can do (i.e. Shim's first battle, in which he got clobbered, was against CL1 thugs; in the second fight, he was up against Non-heroic 2s, which translate to about CL 1/2).

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange