"Five Foot Steps" and Attacks of Opportunity

Our KOTOR campaign.
NukeHavoc

"Five Foot Steps" and Attacks of Opportunity

Post by NukeHavoc »

I was reading through the Order 66 forums and came across a thread on Attacks of Opportunity that raised an interesting point: there are no more 5 foot steps. Per RAW, moving from a threatened square provokes unless you perform a withdrawal action or tumble (via Acrobatics).

As a result, that familiar "5 foot step" to setup a flank buddy that we always used in 3.x? That provokes in Saga Edition, at least per RAW.

That said, we've been doing it the old way for 13 chapters without any big complications, so we could just house rule that you can "5 foot step" to flank without provoking. That said, I'd be curious to play it per RAW and see how it changes things up. I think that net-net it would benefit the party's melee fighters (particularly Jedi and JPD-14) though you'll need to be more careful when setting up flank.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Re: "Five Foot Steps" and Attacks of Opportunity

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I don't know Ken, I seem to recall several times where we pointed out to someone that there are no 5 foot adjustments, and you have to make a withdraw action to move out of combat...

But I try my best to stay out of combat so... :mrgreen:
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I agree with Cory. Usually the issue comes up at least once per night, though I cannot say that we always consistantly remember the actual rule. Unless Jon is there because he always points out the correct rules to us. :)

I'm okay with doing it according to the actual rule and taking away 5' steps.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I don't know Ken, I seem to recall several times where we pointed out to someone that there are no 5 foot adjustments, and you have to make a withdraw action to move out of combat... But I try my best to stay out of combat so... :mrgreen:
Yeah, I think we kept saying that, but at the same time I think we've occasionally treated the "5 foot for flanking" as traditional five foot steps that don't provoke. Or maybe I'm just misremembering. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:I agree with Cory. Usually the issue comes up at least once per night, though I cannot say that we always consistantly remember the actual rule. Unless Jon is there because he always points out the correct rules to us. :) I'm okay with doing it according to the actual rule and taking away 5' steps.
Works for me too. Remind me I said that the next time a bad guy gets slaughtered by JDP-14's extendo-arms.