Highlife

Our KOTOR campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Highlife

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

If its ok, I'm thinking of swaping out some of Highlife's abilities. I really enjoy the campaign, and Highlife's character, but his stats bug me sometimes. I want to focus him more on his ship role, because even though thats his specialty I don't always feel like he's shining there like he should. To that end I want to change one of his skills to mechanic so I can help Zulen repair the ship. I definitely want to swap out his talents. On paper the ambush talent (give up my standard action to give the rest of the party a move action) sounds awesome! Until you bring in the fact that we are 50% jedi who aren't really the sneaky type. So I was thinking of dropping those talents in favor of engineer (which will help us out emensely once we get the ship).
setanta14

Re: Highlife

Post by setanta14 »

Well, I think that would help out immensely... when we're doing ship specific stuff. I think he's more of a really cool NPC that you're trying to play as a PC in a group of primarily-designed PC's (Jedi, Soldiers, Scoundrels, etc.). Maybe think about multi-classing him as well?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

What about taking the Starship Maneuvers feat (or is it a talent?) from Starships of the Galaxy? Some of those are pretty cool, and give you more options in starship combat (which is where Highlife shines anyway?)

Mechanics is a little redundant if Zulen and Shim are both around, but that doesn't happen that often and Zulen can always stay with the ship if necessary (I'd rather an PC have the spotlight).

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm always in foavor of character re-design if it means you'll enjoy playing more. And, I kinda agree with Nate here, the starship fighting stuff seems more ship-driven than character-driven to me, so if you want to swap some of that out for more character-driven talents and feats, I'm all for that.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

setanta14 wrote:Well, I think that would help out immensely... when we're doing ship specific stuff. I think he's more of a really cool NPC that you're trying to play as a PC in a group of primarily-designed PC's (Jedi, Soldiers, Scoundrels, etc.). Maybe think about multi-classing him as well?
I'll look into it, though I think a lot of it is the fact that we have so many characters that overlap Highlife doesn't get to explore his biggest asset, a large amount of skills.
NukeHavoc wrote:What about taking the Starship Maneuvers feat (or is it a talent?) from Starships of the Galaxy? Some of those are pretty cool, and give you more options in starship combat (which is where Highlife shines anyway?)

Mechanics is a little redundant if Zulen and Shim are both around, but that doesn't happen that often and Zulen can always stay with the ship if necessary (I'd rather an PC have the spotlight).
I have Starship Maneuvers. I need to look at my abilities though, because my current set-up only gives me one. Then again, I had a hard time picking the one maneuver I get, because I frankly didn't find them all that exciting once I really read into them, or the ones I was interested in I can't pull off at this time.

As for mechanics I don't think Shim have this skill. I'll check with Brendan but I think because he's a crew member everyone assumed he had mechanics when in reality he only has computer use.
Jonkga wrote:I'm always in foavor of character re-design if it means you'll enjoy playing more. And, I kinda agree with Nate here, the starship fighting stuff seems more ship-driven than character-driven to me, so if you want to swap some of that out for more character-driven talents and feats, I'm all for that.
The problem I've found is that ship combat especially needs a focused character to pull it off. Your starting with a -10 due to the ship size which means even with max ranks and skill focus I'm at a +3. Maybe I can figure out a way to boost my dex a bit more... which have the added benefit of helping out with my shooting in combat.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So I've been thinking about this and maybe the problem is I'm not focusing enough on Highlife's social aspects. Highlife is from a rich influential family who became an up and coming republic officer before being thrown out of the navy and ultimately disowned by his family. He's got some great social skills, so maybe I should be taking things from the contacts talent tree. Afterall, his ultimate goal is to own his own starship (with his partners) and run a shipping company. It only makes sense that he's been making contacts throughout his years as a pilot for hire. Plus, it will make him much more valuable to the jedi during on world missions if he happens to "know a guy".
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

That doesn't sound like a bad way to go at all, Cory.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:So I've been thinking about this and maybe the problem is I'm not focusing enough on Highlife's social aspects. Highlife is from a rich influential family who became an up and coming republic officer before being thrown out of the navy and ultimately disowned by his family. He's got some great social skills, so maybe I should be taking things from the contacts talent tree. Afterall, his ultimate goal is to own his own starship (with his partners) and run a shipping company. It only makes sense that he's been making contacts throughout his years as a pilot for hire. Plus, it will make him much more valuable to the jedi during on world missions if he happens to "know a guy".
I think that's an excellent approach, especially once we start spending more time off world and have dealings with planetary governments, corporations, etc.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Could someone post a summary of the following talents for me?

# Influential Friends*
# Powerful Friends*

They are in found the Force Unleashed which I don't, have but I'm very interested in.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lineage Talent Tree

Influential Friends: You have influential contacts within a certain organization, planet, or region who can provide concreate information on certain subjects. Once per day, you can have one of those contacts make a skill check on your behalf. The contact always takes 20 on the skill check (even if the skill would normally not allow taking 20) and has a skill modifier equal to 5 + one-half your heroic level. Contacting your allies and receiving the skill check takes a number of minutes equal to 10 x the skill check result

Prerequisite: Connections

Powerful Friends: You have a powerful contact who has an extended sphere of influence. The contact could be an Imperial Senator, a high-level military officer, a regional governor, an infamous crimelord, etc. Once per encounter, you can invoke the name or office of your powerful friend and take 20 on one Persuassion check, with no increase in the time needed to make the check.

Prerequisite: Connections, Influential Friends

From a mechanical standpoint, I think "Influential Friends" is a great talent, and a perfect catch-all one to have. You'd need to figure out which group/planet/region it applies to, but it could be crazy useful depending on who you pick (and equally good for role-playing hooks).

"Powerful Friends" is kind of underwhelming mechanically (take 20 on a Persuassion check ... and it costs TWO talents?) but storywise having a senator or crimelord that you're close to could be very useful.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Awesome! Thanks Ken. I completely agree, and Highlife will be taking connections and Influential Friends. Powerful Friends just isn't what I'm going for (plus some of the Jedi can do that same thing... but better). As for who his friends are, I think thats easy. Highlife may have been dishonorably discharged from the Republic Navy, but he was a well liked with both his peers and many of the Officers. So thats obviously who I would choose. (Plus the Republic Navy will keep the contacts relevant later in the campaign.)