Halo Reach

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

Halo Reach

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So my buddy Mike and I played some Halo Reach last night and had a blast. It definitely feels like Halo and once again refines what has come before. Yet at the same time it feels new and different.

First off, let me say that we can play together. All your friends playing reach can be seen from the waiting room, where you can invite them into your room. From there you can set a type of game, map, even social settings. Once we initiated a game mike and I were taken out into the masses, and the rest of the spots were filled with randoms.

There wasn't really anything new in terms of the game types. Capture the flag, team slayer, etc.

The controls are very familiar, with the exception of the additions. First the melee button is now right bumper, which swaps out reload on X. That's because you'll be using melee more often. Not only can you pummel your opponent, you can also assassinate them. Get behind someone and hit the melee button for an instant kill! Very cool cinematics for that too (I saw at least two different ones).

The other big addition is spartan type. At the beginning of the mission, and every time you respawn, you have an option of 4 spartans. Each has it's own power. The abilities are Run, Shield, stealth, and jetpack. These are abilities innate to your spartan. When you use them they use up a little power bar. When it's out, or you you release the button (left bumper), the bar recharges. It's a really fun mechanic and each type is useful in it's own way. Run lets you sprint. Shield puts you into a little shield bubble making you invulnerable for a short amount of time, though you can't move. Just enough time to recharge your regular shields. Stealth makes you invisible. Jetpack lets you jump around the board.

The weapons are also different but the same. They are a bit harder to describe as I don't know what to call them. Suffice to say while most of them look different, you'll figure out what to do with them quickly.

So my conclusion is that Reach is going to be a lot of fun, and I can't wait for the campaign! I look forward to playing a few rounds with you guys. Especially since the more you play the more armor options you unlock. You guys know how I love me a customizable avatar!
erilar

Re: Halo Reach

Post by erilar »

Sorry for not showing up last night. Short version is, I just wasn't in the proper mental state to be good company to you guys. Ended up watching Stargate Univ to cool out (SGU has been REALLY good lately!). Hopefully, we can get together soon.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Major Nelson's latest podcast ahs a interview with one of the Bungie guys talking about the armor and weapon loadouts and other things Halo Reach beta related,so check it out if you're interested.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Sorry for not showing up last night. Short version is, I just wasn't in the proper mental state to be good company to you guys. Ended up watching Stargate Univ to cool out (SGU has been REALLY good lately!). Hopefully, we can get together soon.
No worries. I only played last night to check it out. I won't devote too much time into it as it's only a beta. I have far too many other games to play at the moment. If you want to play one night this week just let me know here or text me. I've been playing a lot of Shin Megami Tensi Strange Journey on the DS lately. I can certainly put that aside to play with you though :)

Also I agree about SGU. I need to get caught up. I'm about two weeks behind.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Yeah, I was equally lame. Sorry about that -- just wasn't feeling much like gaming between the cold, insomnia and work (funny how all those things combine together).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Health-wise, I've felt fantastic. Ever since the storm broke and this high pressure front arrived, I've felt refreshingly human!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer