Duck And Cover

Our KOTOR campaign.
EvilGenius

Duck And Cover

Post by EvilGenius »

Here's the full rule, for future reference:

Duck and Cover
When exposed to an area attack, you can dive for cover.
Prereqs: Trained in Stealth
Benefit: Whenever you are the target of an area attack that misses, once per turn you can move 2 squares as a reaction. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

So this doesn't really say if you take the 1/2 damage from the attack or not. IMO, you shouldn't take the damage IF you're able to move out of the blast radius. I think they're going for a 'you got the hell out of the way' feel.

I think it is balanced vs the Evasion talent in the following ways:
Moving 2 squares may not get you out of the area of effect.
Evasion is every attack in a round. Duck&Cover is only once per turn.
Evasion says if the attack hits you, only take 1/2 damage. If the attack misses, take no damage.
Duck&Cover says if the attack hits you, take full damage. If the attack misses, move. If you're out of the aoe, take no damage.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Duck And Cover

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Sorry man, I disagree. You are trying to interpret a rule that I think is pretty clear. If you're missed by an area of attack you can move 2 squares. You were still in the area of attack so you still take the half damage. If you could negate the damage it would say so. All it says is you can move, so IMHO say that's all you can get. I think Star Wars has done a very good job of making the rules clear. I don't see why this one would be different.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I think Cory's right -- if it negated the damage, it would say so (and so would the errata ... which doesn't).

IMHO, this is meant to be used alongside the evasion talent to give you an extra movement boost. e.g. as a soldier I might take this feat just to be able to move closer to my enemy and/or cover, even if I'm taking damage doing it. As a scoundrel, I'm deftly dancing out of the way of the blast (thanks to evasion) and grabbing some cover.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmm. I can see your points. Mind if I rethink the feat? :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Hmm. I can see your points. Mind if I rethink the feat? :)
Nah, go ahead. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange