SW The Old Republic

Our KOTOR campaign.
EvilGenius

SW The Old Republic

Post by EvilGenius »

Dude. Listening to the 1up podcast with The Old Republic designer. The interviewer chick from 1up is pretty annoying and non-impressive. But O.M.G. the game the designer is describing is just amazing. I am going to LOVE this game!
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: SW The Old Republic

Post by EvilGenius »

Wow, just watched the production video for the Music of the Old Republic on the SW:TOR site. Here's the link: http://swtor.com/news/news-article/20100716_003

They are really pulling out all the stops on this game. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Yeah, Kat isn't the best host. Since she took over its really hit or miss depending on what other 1up editors show up.

Anyway I was really disappointed in what he was saying. I get an ebon hawk style ship... But I cant pick the design? It's based on the class I choose? The more I hear about TOR the more it just sounds like a multiplayer KOTOR with a bunch of different stories to witness. Oh, and some pvp.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:The more I hear about TOR the more it just sounds like a multiplayer KOTOR with a bunch of different stories to witness. Oh, and some pvp.
Multiplayer KOTOR seems pretty good to me. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Yeah, Kat isn't the best host. Since she took over its really hit or miss depending on what other 1up editors show up.

Anyway I was really disappointed in what he was saying. I get an ebon hawk style ship... But I cant pick the design? It's based on the class I choose? The more I hear about TOR the more it just sounds like a multiplayer KOTOR with a bunch of different stories to witness. Oh, and some pvp.
I hear what you're saying regarding customization but honestly, that's what expansion packs are for. And I would be truly surprised if they didn't introduce that later on. Lance can probably elaborate but I'm pretty sure that's what happened with WoW.

And the designer was cagey about a lot of those things, too. There were a lof of responses along the lines of "we haven't talked about that ... yet". Space combat, trophies, customization, it's all on the table, the only ? is when.
erilar

Post by erilar »

When WoW launched, there was only one mount model available for each race - just different colors, fast ones and slow ones, etc. If customization is your big thing, then MMOs might not be the best thing for you. In old WoW, when you reached max level and were raiding, you pretty much looked like everyone else of your race/class combo.

That said, everything will prob depend on how successful the game is. If it ends up a license for Bioware to print money, like WoW was for Blizzard, then expect to see more choices and options.

Me, I've decided I'm not playing TOR. If they can't make a version for Mac, in this day and age of Intel Mac processors, then they shouldn't expect me to buy it. There were, and are, a LOT of Mac users playing WoW - I really think Bioware is missing the boat here.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I was just so excited when he started talking about spaceships... but the more he talked the less excited I became. He said they didn't want to give players a small fighter because it wouldn't be big enough to carry all your companions. Makes sense, but that means I HAVE to have companions to worry about? I can't just float around the galaxy in my little starfighter Luke or Obi-wan style? Again, it sounds like a multiplayer Kotor than an MMO. Why do I think that's bad? Because IMHO an MMO should give you more freedom to do what you want. I understand this could change down the road, but for now it's just a disappointment.

But yes, I'll admit MMO's are just not for me. Most of them don't have the freedom I'm looking for. There are some exceptions. Some like EVE and the old Star Wars game let you have player based economies. In this case you're a bit more free to do what you want. But at the same time, as it's player based, a few bad apples can really screw things up. So I guess in this case you gotta take the good with the bad.

Anyway, I just wanted to post my thoughts up here. Especially since I pointed Bob to the interview. I'll refrain from talking too much more about it though because like Lance, I don't have a machine that will run it. So I'm out regardless.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the idea of an MMO we can all play as a group, that's not on a console.

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Lars Porsenna wrote:That's too bad. I was really looking forward to the idea of an MMO we can all play as a group, that's not on a console.

Damon.
Sorry man, but if it's not on a console it's very unlikely that I'm going to play it. I'm threw with the days of keeping my computer up to date to play a new game. I'd much rather buy a new console every 5 years that will last that whole time without upgrades.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Ok they announced space combat last night at SDCC. That possibly makes up for lack of ship choices (depending on how ship combat is carried out). Not enough for me to buy a new pc yet... but that's a big step in the right direction :P
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I was browsing some info on the big ComicCon panel and not only will there be space combat but there will ALSO be customizable ships! Flippin sweet. :)