Malcanthet's Den: What Ian's doing in OB

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
NukeHavoc

Malcanthet's Den: What Ian's doing in OB

Post by NukeHavoc »

Nate and I were talking Saturday about how to proceed with Ian's new tavern, Malcanthet's Den. We're thinking the way to go is to use the business creation rules from the Dungeon Master's Guide II, which do a good job of outlining exactly how much everything costs based on location, risk, and material costs.

The only change I'd make to those rules is to allow some variation in real estate costs (perhaps 10%-$20%?) based on which quarter you plan on building/buying (so the Mudsitters District would cost less, High Quarter would cost more, etc.)

I'm inclined to use these rules for all of our business creation needs (though I think the 'event table' could use a little tweaking to make it a little less bad event-intensive).

Thoughts?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Yeah... they base the real-estate costs on the prices listed in DMG1. The problem is that the first two types of buildings, which would be the ones we would use the most often, are 1000gp or 5000gp, and both are described as being wooden construction with thatched roofs.

I would like to expand upon this (as is recommended in the rules), to allow for upgrades... like for brick or stone walls, wooden or slate shingles instead of thatch, whether it is one or more stories and whether it has a basement or not, whether it accesses the sewers, etc.

I'll do some research tonight and see if the old Stronghold Builders Guidebook has any insights.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Another big problem with those business rules is the amounts listed for start-up costs, not including the cost of the building. For example, in a Metropolis-sized city... its 32,000gp for a tavern, which supposedly includes permits, licensing, bribes to officials, etc.... which I could see for the High Quarter, but definitely not for the lower-class sections like the Mudsitters District. As they say in the real estate business... its Location, Location, Location.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Another big problem with those business rules is the amounts listed for start-up costs, not including the cost of the building. For example, in a Metropolis-sized city... its 32,000gp for a tavern, which supposedly includes permits, licensing, bribes to officials, etc.... which I could see for the High Quarter, but definitely not for the lower-class sections like the Mudsitters District. As they say in the real estate business... its Location, Location, Location.
What were you thinking for the cheap seats, half that? I think Sven paid around 16k for his building with lot (that sound about right Bob?)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yeah, 16K sounds about right.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, I was thinking that the different districts would use the existing rules, but with different area types... like Metropolis for the High Quarter, Large City for the Strange Quarter, Small City for the Wharf and Docks District, and Town for the Mudsitters District. What matters is the profit modifier for these differing regions, so the +4 gained for being in a Metropolis wouldn't apply unless your business were in the High Quarter.

NukeHavoc wrote:
setanta14 wrote:Another big problem with those business rules is the amounts listed for start-up costs, not including the cost of the building. For example, in a Metropolis-sized city... its 32,000gp for a tavern, which supposedly includes permits, licensing, bribes to officials, etc.... which I could see for the High Quarter, but definitely not for the lower-class sections like the Mudsitters District. As they say in the real estate business... its Location, Location, Location.
What were you thinking for the cheap seats, half that? I think Sven paid around 16k for his building with lot (that sound about right Bob?)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Well, I was thinking that the different districts would use the existing rules, but with different area types... like Metropolis for the High Quarter, Large City for the Strange Quarter, Small City for the Wharf and Docks District, and Town for the Mudsitters District. What matters is the profit modifier for these differing regions, so the +4 gained for being in a Metropolis wouldn't apply unless your business were in the High Quarter.
I was thinking along the same lines. I'll try and post a chart over lunch.

Ken
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Last call for investors... the building will cost ~36,000gp, and the business start-up costs will be ~16,000gp.

Get your piece of the action while you can :twisted:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I need to dig out Aaron's character sheet for an exact GP value, but expect he'll be investing.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Aaron will put up 3,000 gp as an investment in the inn.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'll try to get you Rex's share soon (gotta dig through a bunch of posts and old paperwork.)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I've posted this to the wiki:
http://www.griffcrier.com/wiki/index.ph ... ding_Costs

I included a link to the relevant building section of the SRD.