Halo: Reach and Network Settings

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

Halo: Reach and Network Settings

Post by erilar »

I am guessing that our lag problems in campaign co-op were just launch day overload and not us.

However, if you guys are interested in improving your network performance for Reach, you might want to look at this article that Bungie recently posted: http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/ar ... ?cid=28529

In particular, NAT type is a pretty big deal with Halo games. I know that Jon's was reading as "moderate", so he may want to try to fiddle with a few of his router settings. In particular, turning on UPnP and forwarding the proper ports could make a big difference. I can help him with this when he's ready - just call.

Jon's NAT was not causing our problem last night though - I think that was the overloaded system.

Zack had been able to play some fairly lag-free campaign co-op with John Hippensteel (Xboy68) yesterday, but that was earlier in the afternoon/evening. I checked Zack's "network status" within Reach this morning, and his upload bandwidth was reading "warning - low". I am very skeptical that our upload throughput is actually slow though. We have a solid 680 kbit/sec up with a 40 ms or so ping (latency). Again, I think it was just the system. Zack said that when they tried Matchmaking later, they were getting lag.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Re: Halo: Reach and Network Settings

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, I'd pretty much chalk it up to launch day overload.

I played through some of the campaign myself ok, and it was awesome.

I played some slayer multiplayer last night, and had a blast - the settings allowing you to choose people who don't trash talk, want to play a friendly game, etc. seem pretty good, and I had a pretty fun time with the folks it matched me with.

I played some firefight this morning, and as I hadn't done any of that with ODST (as I dont have that one yet), it was pretty cool. Jumping around with the jetpack was crazy cool, too! :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jon and I played for a bit before bed last night. (I got a lot of gaming prep done, so I thought I deserved a treat.) When we started it was pretty choppy. All of a sudden Jon was dropped to the menu. After we started up again the game was running great! No problem as we played through two levels. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:After we started up again the game was running great! No problem as we played through two levels. :)
Were you playing story co-op?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Were you playing story co-op?
Yep. My conclusion is it's definitely server stress. Major Nelson posted that Halo made an estimated $200 million the day it was released! Also, my sister-in-law works at the new Amazon warehouse in Allentown and said all she's packed all week is halo :P
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
Hardcorhobbs wrote:After we started up again the game was running great! No problem as we played through two levels. :)
Were you playing story co-op?
Yeah, we played through two story levels together in co-op. Much fun! :)

And, yeah, a bit choppy at first, but it settled down and we were fine - even lining up headsots! :)

I didn't get the achievement for the first level we played through, as we didn't start right at the beginning after I was kicked off, so I'll definitely need to play through it again for that (and many times besides for the fun).
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I also played some slayer this morning and had a great deal of fun with it. No lag at all at 9 am, and very cool map spaces. It'll be a blast when we have the full complement doing these sort of things together again.

And with all the firefight modes and challenges, I don't see it wearing out its welcome very soon. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm playing through on normal, so I'll need you guys to help me through on heroic or enven legendary!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'm playing through on normal, so I'll need you guys to help me through on heroic or enven legendary!

Sounds like a plan. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I'm playing through on normal, so I'll need you guys to help me through on heroic or enven legendary!
I have heard that Reach tries to keep the difficulty just as hard no matter how many people are playing this time. So, Heroic will be a much bigger challenge, and Legendary may be a real bitch! We're gonna have to step up our game! :D
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:I have heard that Reach tries to keep the difficulty just as hard no matter how many people are playing this time. So, Heroic will be a much bigger challenge, and Legendary may be a real bitch! We're gonna have to step up our game! :D
You're telling me! See the other Reach thread... :(
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Last night I tried to play a little co-op with some friends. It was all choppy like it has been. Then we jumped into some match making, where we had no problems at all. So I'm guessing while multiplayer has been optimized for lots of players, co-op has not. Hopefully in the coming weeks this will change so we can get some co-op in. I'd hate to think the campaign is forever to be a solo event :/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Last night I tried to play a little co-op with some friends. It was all choppy like it has been. Then we jumped into some match making, where we had no problems at all. So I'm guessing while multiplayer has been optimized for lots of players, co-op has not. Hopefully in the coming weeks this will change so we can get some co-op in. I'd hate to think the campaign is forever to be a solo event :/
Well, I'd say Bungie is still having issues with both multiplayer and co-op. I tried to do a bit of multiplayer last night, and while I was in a match things were fine, but getting to a match was tough - bungie servers kept going down. And, there were also times matches reverted back to the start of the event even though we were almost through...