Padawans and Starfighters

Our KOTOR campaign.
EvilGenius

Padawans and Starfighters

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken, you had asked us previously if we wanted a padawan. I'm considering introducing one. What level should he be?

Also, we had discussed coming back to our main characters with a starfighter. If I take a padawan, can I gave a fighter that seats two?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Re: Padawans and Starfighters

Post by NukeHavoc »

We're using the Padawan rules from the Jedi Academy Training Manual. As such, your padawan would be a 1st level, non-heroic character under the GM's direction. The padawan gains as much experience as the Jedi Knight training him/her/it with each adventure, and thus goes up in level much faster than the Knight. (which means I really need to get back to doing proper XP rewards, as we'll now have two padawans in the party).

Each time the padawan levels, you get the 24 hour bonus from the Education destiny, regardless of whether you actually have that destiny.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

For jedi starfighters I believe we're using the Star Saber from the KOTOR campaign guide (is that right Damon?)

One and two seater versions are available. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:We're using the Padawan rules from the Jedi Academy Training Manual. As such, your padawan would be a 1st level, non-heroic character under the GM's direction. The padawan gains as much experience as the Jedi Knight training him/her/it with each adventure, and thus goes up in level much faster than the Knight. (which means I really need to get back to doing proper XP rewards, as we'll now have two padawans in the party).

Each time the padawan levels, you get the 24 hour bonus from the Education destiny, regardless of whether you actually have that destiny.
Ah. Not sure that's what I'm looking for.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Ah. Not sure that's what I'm looking for.
Most of the auxiliary characters in Saga Edition work this way (e.g.; non-heroic level followers). I believe Crime Lord's minions are about the same, though they start at a higher level. The padawans do get more perks though; they share their master's Defense scores if they are within 12 squares (IIRC) and I think there might be another option or two. But they're very much designed as support characters; they're not like followers or companions in 3E.

Personally, I think this is a good approach. It lets you have that support character, but doesn't steal the lime light (and play time) from the PCs. With Adon I used a standard PC build, but at a lower level, simply because someone was going to be playing him as a PC.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So what were you looking for?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
So what were you looking for?
A 3E-style follower, of course! :)

Mostly I was looking for a secondary character who could pilot my fighter while I man the guns. lol!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:Mostly I was looking for a secondary character who could pilot my fighter while I man the guns. lol!
It's not that kind of fighter. It only has pilot controlled weapons. The second seat is only for passengers, no controls. There may be other solutions if you just want to man a gun though...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Yeah, I've got to upgrade my fighter. :)

In the meantime I'm now good at manning the guns on one of the freighters.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Bob was looking for the Leadership feat in 3E so he could have one 8th level co-pilot and 2d10+5 Gamorreans snacks, er, crew members. :twisted:
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ken, since the padawan rules aren't really what I'm looking for, what do you think about me bringing in a lower level, heroic-class character to act as my backup? Kind of like Whiskey for BT?