Mass Effect 3

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
NukeHavoc

Re: Mass Effect 3

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm out of the loop. What does multiplayer in ME3 let you do?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote:I'm out of the loop. What does multiplayer in ME3 let you do?
ME3 story mode is largely about preparing the known galaxy for a final stand against the marauding Reapers (intent, of course, on total xenocide). As you complete quests, you increase "war preparedness" by recruiting new forces, discovering new sources of supplies and munitions, etc.

However, to obtain the "best ending", players must also pump up their War Preparedness even further in multiplayer mode. This is a 4-player co-op fest against waves of enemies (variously Cerberus, Geth, and Reaper, IIRC). You create a generic combatant - one initially only has access to humans. As you play, you earn War Preparedness, and also supply kits or somesuch that are essentially like CCG booster packs. They randomly contain anything from one-use items to access to new races, classes, powers and weapons. Of course, in true EA fashion, these booster packs are also available via cold hard cash (in the form of MS points)...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

While we're on the topic, which of you are currently playing through ME3 story mode? I'd love to schedule a night of MP co-op fun.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:While we're on the topic, which of you are currently playing through ME3 story mode? I'd love to schedule a night of MP co-op fun.
I'm playing through the story mode. I imported my ME1/ME2 save, and have been loving the story so far. I also have the "From Ashes" DLC for the story as well.

I find myself going very slowly through the story as I don't want the story to end (not that I am even close to that far - I only really just left the Citadel after the first visit - so only just out of the prologue, really).

And, I've done a little bit of the multiplayer, which is largely horde-mode type stuff, which I am really enjoying.

I play a soldier in the main story mode, and love that I can control my companions abilities through the power wheel. So, I usually make sure I have a solid mix of tech and biotic powers in my party so I have the full complement of abilities in combat. So much fun! :)

In the multiplayer, though, I am playing an engineer. Again, this gives me gun combat, but also a good mix of powers that can impact organics and synthetics, for a pretty balanced approach. I will say, having a balanced party certainly helps in the multiplayer.

I am largely unaware of how multiplayer imacts the story mode. How would that work?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote: I am largely unaware of how multiplayer imacts the story mode. How would that work?
Look at my 2nd paragraph two posts up - I explained it for Ken.

I am also playing a Soldier in the story, and have been looking forward to trying out all the other classes in MP. Planning to focus on a full-bore biotic - I guess that would be the Adept? Some of the biotic powers are really spectacular, but I didn't tend to use the full Adepts in my play though, since I wasn't a fan of those characters (Jack, for instance, really wears on my nerves). I have been hanging around with Liara in ME3 though, and Singularity is incredibly useful. Those troopers with riot shields aren't so tough when they are floating around like dolls in zero-gee. :D

In other news, I was very glad to learn that my save did indeed import correctly (other than forgetting my Shepard's face, which I was able to recreate with passing success). When I did the import, the list of choices had said "Mass Effect 2 Romance - None" ,which wasn't the case. However, in one of my chats with Ashley, she clearly referenced my fling with Tali, so I guess it did remember all my choices. Very weird. I'd been really pissed, as Tali is probably my favorite character, and the thought of "my" plot changing was really annoying.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Cool. Thanks for the clarification re: multiplayer. I had known that, about the preparedness, I just thought you had mentioned some in-story multiplayer that I was unaware of.

Glad to hear your save worked out. I love that these games really do continue that story. Every conversation, with the even smallest bit players, seems informed by things you did in both previous games.

And, I really think the new characters they've added and the new storylines so far just extend that story goodness.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Also, be sure to keep an eye on how many weapons you are carrying - especially if you aren't ever using them. The weight you carry can dramatically increase the cool-down of your powers. Carrying fewer guns, and modding the ones you do carry to be lighter, can not only eliminate this increase, it could actually decrease the cool-down, so your abilities are ready quicker - always good in a fire-fight. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I noticed this, and I like the system. You could elect to forgo power-regen time to carry a big heavy weapon, etc.

Does this system effect your squadmates though? Because when you're picking guns for them, there is no display of power regen time like when you're working on your own loadout. Are they immune, or is the outcome just hidden - inquiring minds want to know...

PS - spell checking fun informs me that forego and forgo are two very different words. Interesting.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:I noticed this, and I like the system. You could elect to forgo power-regen time to carry a big heavy weapon, etc.

Does this system effect your squadmates though? Because when you're picking guns for them, there is no display of power regen time like when you're working on your own loadout. Are they immune, or is the outcome just hidden - inquiring minds want to know...

PS - spell checking fun informs me that forego and forgo are two very different words. Interesting.
According to what I could find on the intarwebs, the official word from Bioware is that, no, this doesn't impact your squadmates.
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

My post has vanished into the interwebs, but the gist is that I'm trying out XBOX GOLD, and I have fallen in love with ME3 multiplayer. If anyone else is on after 10pm, please friend me (Fenilock).
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Fen's Ego wrote:My post has vanished into the interwebs, but the gist is that I'm trying out XBOX GOLD, and I have fallen in love with ME3 multiplayer. If anyone else is on after 10pm, please friend me (Fenilock).
Awesome. Many of us have been spending time there too, so it'll be fun to have another to fight the good fight with. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

My buddy VedroMike and I (Hardcorhobbs) will likely be on. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Fen's Ego wrote:My post has vanished into the interwebs, but the gist is that I'm trying out XBOX GOLD, and I have fallen in love with ME3 multiplayer. If anyone else is on after 10pm, please friend me (Fenilock).
Read your post way too late to join you tonight, but will definitely friend you for future Geth-shooting!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Cool -- I'll send you a friend request!
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Mike and I will be on tonight. Tom will be joining us when he gets in. Anyone else available tonight? (May 25th)