Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Post by NukeHavoc »

Armageddon Echo

Samaritha and Phil spend hours pouring over the workbook of Shindiira Misraria, the apparent leader of the drow expedition on Devil's Elbow. Written in Elvish, but puntuated with words and phrases taken from UnderCommon, the journal is filled with half-thoughts, rough sketches, and calculations so complicated as to give the reader nosebleeds.

With the aid of the cyphermages, you're able to determine that the drow used ancient rune magic -- apparently a warped form of Thassilonian rune magic -- to call down the skymetal. This required the preparation of a special underground "rune chamber" in which the symbols were inscribed and then empowered through rituals only hinted at in the journal.

There are many references to the parallel research occuring in Celwynvian. This part is particularly difficult to understand, as Shindiira's cold, calculating writing style gives way to rants, fantasies, and other digressions when she discusses Nolveniss, the male drow leading that operation.

It is this section where she discusses the "Armageddon Echo", which appears to play a major part in the drow's end-of-the-world plan. Careful reading reveals that this "echo" is being used to study the original Earthfall event. It seems unlikely that this is an artifact; Shindiira mentions how much time Nolveniss spends within the Echo itself, leading the cyphermages to speculate that it may be some sort of demiplane or shadow reality.

Mixed in among Shindiira's calculations is a timeline; it seems like the drow's research into the Armageddon Echo will last at least another few months; three at the least. She laments it will take so little time -- as she hopes to maximize her time with Nolveniss once he becomes her consort -- and speculates on how she might extend his research timeline to serve her own needs.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 14, Interlude 7: Rust on the Wind

Post by NukeHavoc »

Celwynvian

Those interested in researching Celwynvian and the Mierani Forest should make Knowledge: History and Knowledge: Geography rolls. Other skills might be appropriate, so feel free to make an argument for them. :) You'll receive a +4 bonus thanks to the assistance of the cyphermages and access to their library.

Kwava is not particularly useful in this regard; he's newer to the region than most of you, having traveled here from the Mwangi Expanse, located far to the south. Although he has local contacts in the Shin’Rakorath, which is based in Crying Leaf outside of the Mierani Forest, he has not been initiated into the secrets of Celwynvian.

He does know that there is a garrison of Shin’Rakorath in Crying Leaf, and that they actively patrol the perimeter of the city. They've come back badly wounded on more than one occasion, but those wounds were dismissed as being the work of a green dragon that lairs in the woods.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Captain's Tea

Jheru's Captains' Teas continue continue to be a popular event with the upper echelon of the maritime class, all the more so since it moved back to the familiar grounds of the Gold Goblin.

Jheru: Make two Diplomacy checks: one to learn about the drow, the other to learn of general happenings in and around Riddleport.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru does not have the requisite skills to glean anything about the Mierani Forest of the elf city - and he didn't travel through there on his way to Riddleport, so he'll leave that to the researchers on the team.

As for the Teas, here are his Diplomacy rolls:

Drow: 12 +8 = 20

Riddleport: 20 +8 = 28

Jheru will also begin, diplomatically of course, to inquire of the Teas attendees if there is anyone who might know of someone interested in learning the art and running the teas in his absence. perhaps one of the Captains would like to become a patron of the Tea and sponsor it at the Goblin?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Captains are surprisingly eager to discuss the drow; ever since Depora's triumphant escape by leaping from the Cypher Gate, the dark elves have been a popular topic of conversation and speculation in Riddleport.

Some claimed that the origin of the drow was obvious: not all elves fled Golarion before Earthfall. Some remained, and fled deep into the ground to escape the apocalypse. This line of reason assumes that the elves found something in the depths, something that warped them into new and alien.

Some say that the drow are not true elves, but rather some other humanoid race that used transformation magic to morph themselves into into a more pleasing form; to catch a glimpse at the true face behind the visage is to stare into the depths of madness itself.

Others claim they are true elves, but refuges from another reality, one in which a doomsday cult extinguished the sun and forced the surface dwelling races deep below ground seeking the warmth of the planet itself. This self-same cult achieved dominion over the Underdark, and the drow expended the last of their magical reserves to break through to the Prime Material Plane.

All of of the legends claim that the drow's true domain lies underground, and that they universally hate the surface world.

Regarding happenings in Riddleport

The River Horror

A tentacled horror is haunting the Velashu River, snatching wharf workers, sailors, prostitutes and guards from the river's edge. The entire guard contingent of deceased smuggler lord Avery Slyeg was apparently devoured by the creature. Many believe the Thing in the River fell to earth with the meterorite that impacted on Devil's Elbow. Others suspect the creature was driven into the city by that impact. Still others are more practical, and blame the priest of Besmara in the "Fish Bowl" for summoning -- and then losing control of -- the creature.

Gorwrack

The black dragon Gorwrack has been preying on river boats and caravans traveling between Riddleport and Brinewall on the Velashu River. A band of lizardmen numbering 30+ serve him, worshipping the dragon as a god. The overlord is offering a bounty of 5,000 gp for the creature's head.

Raiders on the Velashu Highlands

Hallvor is the self-styled king of the wastes. Exiled by the Linnorm Kings for poisoning his brother and his nephews is a failed power play, Hallvor was sent to the Nolands, just south of Brinewall. There he assembled a band of warriors, bandits and miscreants. He then led this group south to the Velashu Highlands to raid the easy pickings there. The overlord has placed a bounty of 250 gp on the self-styled "King of Noland".
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Perhaps one of the Captains would like to become a patron of the Tea and sponsor it at the Goblin?
Samuel Benedict, captain of the 'Gold Griffon', out of Andoran, will take Jheru up on this offer, and bankroll the teas in the monk's absence.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

NukeHavoc wrote:Regarding happenings in Riddleport

The River Horror

A tentacled horror is haunting the Velashu River, snatching wharf workers, sailors, prostitutes and guards from the river's edge. The entire guard contingent of deceased smuggler lord Avery Slyeg was apparently devoured by the creature. Many believe the Thing in the River fell to earth with the meterorite that impacted on Devil's Elbow. Others suspect the creature was driven into the city by that impact. Still others are more practical, and blame the priest of Besmara in the "Fish Bowl" for summoning -- and then losing control of -- the creature.
I say we try and poison the beast... Spike a few sides of beef with something nasty, float them out in the usual spots at night with some Dancing Lights as additional bait, and let things take their course.
NukeHavoc wrote:Gorwrack

The black dragon Gorwrack has been preying on river boats and caravans traveling between Riddleport and Brinewall on the Velashu River. A band of lizardmen numbering 30+ serve him, worshipping the dragon as a god. The overlord is offering a bounty of 5,000 gp for the creature's head.

5 Large?!?!?! Let's hunt some dragon!

NukeHavoc wrote:Raiders on the Velashu Highlands

Hallvor is the self-styled king of the wastes. Exiled by the Linnorm Kings for poisoning his brother and his nephews is a failed power play, Hallvor was sent to the Nolands, just south of Brinewall. There he assembled a band of warriors, bandits and miscreants. He then led this group south to the Velashu Highlands to raid the easy pickings there. The overlord has placed a bounty of 250 gp on the self-styled "King of Noland".
So, on the way to take out Hallvor/Dorclavak, we take out the dragon and lizardmen, and send those Ulfen bastards back up north to their flea-bitten wolf dens.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:So, on the way to take out Hallvor/Dorclavak, we take out the dragon and lizardmen, and send those Ulfen bastards back up north to their flea-bitten wolf dens.
To be clear, this should have been Hallvor. Forgot to edit out the original name. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Citadel of Rust

Jorm heads down to pick up his modified armor at the Esteemed Order of Metallurgical Mastery next to the Gas Forges. While there, he strikes up a conversation with Grimm Firebeard about the Citadel. He scoffs at mentions of golems. "Golems? Not likely lad. That place is more than 11,000 years old, and humans don't build things to last. Not even the Hells-damned Runelords. I heard from my cousin that it's not even rust that's up in those mountains, but sand. Red sand! Stupid humans -- can't tell sand from rust!"

"Still, there might be *something* still rumbling around in ol'Karzoug's lair. The dwarves have been there looking for skymetal of course and sure enough, they found some of those great damned metal statues the Runelords liked to build, but I don't recall any animating. No, the real problem was giants. Four armed giants. The damn things were part of Karzoug's honor guard and they're still there, bound by honor and magic to watch over that Abyss-damned citadel."

"Now if you *did* run into a golem, you should do what we do ... run! There's no dishonor in retreating from an enemy you can't beat when it's in a Devil-damn ruin that no one cares about. Oh sure, if it's an iron golem you might be able to slow it down with electricity -- that gnome you associate with might be able to throw a lightning bolt and buy you some time -- but unless you've got a Limbo-cursed rust monster (he spits in disgust) or some Asmodeus-frakked rust spell (he spits twice), you'd be doomed. Fire's no use, even that iron sword I see you wearing on your hip wouldn't do a damned thing. Now an adamantine blade ... that might do the trick, but I ain't seen many of those falling from the sky lately."

"Rust golems? Ain't no such thing, Torag be praised."
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

And now Skender will spontaneously develop ADD from all of the adventure opportunities!
Last edited by setanta14 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

setanta14 wrote:And now Skender will spontaneously develop OCD from all of the adventure opportunities!
Seriously, all this looks cool. :)

Jheru agrees with Skender - we should do something to address the riverbeast - possibly the poisoned bait route - but we may want to make sure and not just hope it gets poisoned. To that end, Jheru will seek out an alchemist in Riddleport to stock up on some sundries he can use as projectile weapons - acid, fire, etc. (In fact, Jheru may consider learning some alchemy down the road to make his own supplies, perhaps.)

And, Skender;s idea about taking out the Black Dragon's lizardmen, or at least thinning them out, and then progressing on towards the Nolands to deal with the petty warlord looks promising. This will also get us familiar with the lands en route to the Mierani, if my geography doesn't fail me, and should prepare us well when the time does come to venture towards the fallen elf city.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jonkga wrote: To that end, Jheru will seek out an alchemist in Riddleport to stock up on some sundries he can use as projectile weapons - acid, fire, etc.

Also, it occurs to Jheru that we may want to hit up the mages or the Calistrians or someone for potions of waterbreathing if available, as fighting an aquatic tentacled horror could result in drowning... at the very least.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'd like to take the opportunity to hunt down the black dragon and finish him. E can try and take the lizard men minions first, then let's get the dragon!!! :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:The Captains are surprisingly eager to discuss the drow; ever since Depora's triumphant escape by leaping from the Cypher Gate, the dark elves have been a popular topic of conversation and speculation in Riddleport.

Some claimed that the origin of the drow was obvious: not all elves fled Golarion before Earthfall. Some remained, and fled deep into the ground to escape the apocalypse. This line of reason assumes that the elves found something in the depths, something that warped them into new and alien.

Some say that the drow are not true elves, but rather some other humanoid race that used transformation magic to morph themselves into into a more pleasing form; to catch a glimpse at the true face behind the visage is to stare into the depths of madness itself.

Others claim they are true elves, but refuges from another reality, one in which a doomsday cult extinguished the sun and forced the surface dwelling races deep below ground seeking the warmth of the planet itself. This self-same cult achieved dominion over the Underdark, and the drow expended the last of their magical reserves to break through to the Prime Material Plane.

All of of the legends claim that the drow's true domain lies underground, and that they universally hate the surface world.

It occurs to Jheru to mention to Phil and Sam (and any of his other more studious-minded friends) that perhaps a way to broach the Drow again with the Cyphermages would be to ask more pointed questions about the elves at the time of the Earthfall. If we are venturing into the forest and the fallen city eventually, gathering an idea about what the city was like, what might be awaiting us there, etc. may be beneficial. If the mages know anything of magic studied/used by the elves back then, it may be useful info. I know their leader refused to talk drow, but he may be more willing to discuss the regular elves.

Also, Jheru will continue the conversations about Drow with the Captains to see if they have any further details concerning the events of the drow lady's dramatic shipboard escape on the day of the battle of the cyphergate. Any details they recall may be useful.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Ken, do you have any of the Rise of the Runelords series? #3 (Hook Mountain Masacre) has a lot of material on the Velashu Uplands, etc.