Stellar Terrain

Adventures and starship battles in a universe where the stars are dying.
NukeHavoc

Stellar Terrain

Post by NukeHavoc »

Stellar Terrain

I was re-reading the Recon Run scenario and saw that it *is* supposed to have stellar debris. I don't know that it would have saved me, but it *would* have been nice to have something to hide behind. I think it's critical to keep terrain in mind when running scenarios; I think we've seen time and again that when two fleets go straight at 'em, they may do Admiral Nelson proud, but they're also likely to have a high casualty rate. We haven't run many (any?) battles with space terrain, and I'm very curious how having a moon to hide behind helps things.

Consider: Asteroids can damage your ship, but grant you Stealth 3+. Dust clouds interfere with your crew quality checks, but grant you Stealth +2 (and a bonus to your crew quality check to try and run silent). Planets (and moons) block line of sight.

All of this is to say that yes, it's awesome that certain ships can shred their opponents when they get close ... but that assumes a perfect scenario with no terrain to provide cover (which, admittedly, is exactly what we've been doing).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange