Planning ...

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Planning ...

Post by EvilGenius »

I've been working on the overall campaign plans and I just wanted to check and see if there was anything that you, the players, wanted to test/explore so that I can make sure to include options. For example, if someone really wants to test out grapple, trip, bull rush, parry and disarm rules, I'll make a special point to incorporate those situations. Anything rule-wise, character class concepts, certain monsters, styles of play, whatever. Just let me know so that I can incorporate it. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Planning ...

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:For example, if someone really wants to test out grapple, trip, bull rush, parry and disarm rules
Quick aside, are there such rules? I only saw rules for these manuvers as special moves for the fighter class. Did I miss them somewhere?

Main topic: Bob I have nothing in mind at the moment, but I'll let you know if I think of anything along the way. Just looking forward to giving the new rules a go!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Quick aside, are there such rules? I only saw rules for these manuvers as special moves for the fighter class. Did I miss them somewhere?
Dunno. I haven't looked for them yet. Just listing examples, you know, in case anyone is planning on making a whip-master or a bare hand grappler type character. :D
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

EvilGenius wrote:Dunno. I haven't looked for them yet. Just listing examples, you know, in case anyone is planning on making a whip-master or a bare hand grappler type character. :D
10-4!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Nothing is leaping out at me as far as rules go -- there just aren't as many of these fiddlybit rules system as in 3.x or Pathfinder.

A better way to go might be to talk about the sort of encounters/scenarios we'd like try to see how 5e handles it. I'm not saying we need to faithfully reproduce scenarios from our D&D campaigns, but I can think of a few things off the top of my head:

* Battle on an icy/slippery/treacherous bridge.
* Overland wilderness journeys (getting lost, tracking a monster, dealing with weather, etc.)
* Fights in interesting terrain (treetop battles, barrel fights in river rapids ... pretty much anything we've seen in The Hobbit. :))
* Social conflicts (convincing the Duke to help us; bribing the guard to let us escape after failing to convince the Duke to help us)
* Anything we might have used a skill challenge for in the past (basically sustained skill events).

In short, apply pressure to the system, and see where it breaks. :)

Ok, now that I think about it ... there are some specific rules I'm interested in.

* Poison.
* Traps.
* Professions.
* Monsters with lair powers.

Mechanically, lair powers are the things that interest me most, but that's higher level play -- I'll need to double check, but I think most of the monsters with lair powers are CR 8 or higher. I didn't see any at low levels (e.g. 5th or 6th) but I'm still reading the Monster Manual.

I'm also interested in testing the kit-style rules. They've been teasing plug-and-play components for 5e since the beginning, and I'm hoping the DMG gives us some more examples of that (a la feats vs. attribute bumps).

Depending on the rule, I could see playing with a particular rule (hex based combat!) for a level and seeing how it goes.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Roger Roger. :)

I've got a pretty good idea of the general playtest campaign. There's going to be an ongoing mystery and an overarching plot. There will certainly be room for character-driven plot, but there are things that will tie it all together. Secret things .... :shock: :P

I've already brainstormed a bunch of different encounters, many designed to test aspects of the rules, but of course, input is welcome.