Friday 8/5: Dark City: Another Night in the Strange Quarter

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
setanta14

Friday 8/5: Dark City: Another Night in the Strange Quarter

Post by setanta14 »

So, this Friday we'll be continuing with the Darkdweomer End scenario.

Jon will be out, but Cory will be joining us... with a Favored Soul (spontaneous divine caster) character?

Same rules for creation as NukemCon: 30 points for buying stats, same starting gold and equipment spreadsheet.

Does a Favored Soul select a deity like a cleric does? If so, we can give you some suggestions.
erilar

Re: Friday 8/5: Dark City: Another Night in the Strange Quar

Post by erilar »

Nate -

This is the 1st night of Musikfest. I might get there at 7:30 instead of 7:00, since I'm going to go to see one band with my family before heading out. Don't want to miss this session though - your adventure is really cool so far!

Lance
setanta14 wrote:So, this Friday we'll be continuing with the Darkdweomer End scenario.

Jon will be out, but Cory will be joining us... with a Favored Soul (spontaneous divine caster) character?

Same rules for creation as NukemCon: 30 points for buying stats, same starting gold and equipment spreadsheet.

Does a Favored Soul select a deity like a cleric does? If so, we can give you some suggestions.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Favored Soul's do in fact worship a deity. My impression is its more-so than clerics due to the fact they seem to have a piece of the higher power in themselves, insead of just getting a chanelling of the power. At first glance last night, I was thinking Palor. I've always liked the sun god. He has credibility, you can SEE him! :P

*ahem* But suggestions are certainly welcome. I dont get any domain spells as a FS, but I do however get feats pretaining to the favored weapon of the deity. So if its not in the phb thats the only info I need.

~HH
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Well, i guess it really depends on what role you see him filling in the campaign. Do you want to be primarily a healer? Do you want to wage a campaign against the undead? Do you want to champion liberty and individualism? Do you want to soothe the downtrodden and ease their burden? Do you want your character to be a master of the blade?

The cool thing about divine characters is that there's a lot of room for role-definition. There are gods for all of the things listed above and more. And there's room in this type of campaign for just about any role you want to create.

So what is it that you really want this character to be doing? Other than just having the ability to cast divine spells.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:Favored Soul's do in fact worship a deity. My impression is its more-so than clerics due to the fact they seem to have a piece of the higher power in themselves, insead of just getting a chanelling of the power. At first glance last night, I was thinking Palor. I've always liked the sun god. He has credibility, you can SEE him! :P

*ahem* But suggestions are certainly welcome. I dont get any domain spells as a FS, but I do however get feats pretaining to the favored weapon of the deity. So if its not in the phb thats the only info I need.

~HH
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

setanta14 wrote: Does a Favored Soul select a deity like a cleric does? If so, we can give you some suggestions.
I was just taking Nate up on this quote. It made me curious. Never playing in Greyhawk before I was curious as to if there were other gods that might be more approprate to this class. Or if there is a church you guys work with alot that might be suited to me playing a FS from.

I do have an idea of where I want this character's role to be. Healer with a secondary role as the party's mage. Hes really not the "buffing" type. More of the "Lets kick some ass in the name of the god with some devine fire and steel" crusader type. But also making sure to look after the wounds of his brothers in arms.

Not sure if that sounds quite right... but hopefully you get the idea.

~HH
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Here is where you can find info on the deities of Greyhawk:
http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip

In Obsidian Bay, there are temples/shrines/holy places to Heironeous, St. Cuthbert, Trithereon (two opposing groups), Ulaa, Zilchus, Zodal, and Kord for sure.

Others might include Boccob, Beory, Obad-Hai, Pholtus, Celestian, Ehlonna, Fharlanghn, Kelanen, Olidammara, Moradin, Corellon, Delleb, Istus, Ralishaz, Pelor, Procan, Wenta, Norebo, Osprem...others?

If you're going the wizardly divine route, the two main gods of magic in Greyhawk are Boccob and Wee Jas.

Boccob is a true N greater god, and is called "The Uncaring" because he rarely if ever interferes with the affairs of Oerth (the planet Greyhawk is set on). He is generally the patron of erudite mages and scholars.

Wee Jas is LN (~LE), and was initially just the goddess of magic to the people of the Suel Imperium, which was destroyed 1000 years ago during the Twin Cataclysms (Invoked Devastation/Rain of Colorless Fire). She picked up the death aspect during that time as thousands of her worshippers persihed.

Then there is Zagyg... the ex-mayor of Greyhawk City who ascended to demigodhood under Boccob's tutelage... he is a prankster and is very eccentric.

Hardcorhobbs wrote:
setanta14 wrote: Does a Favored Soul select a deity like a cleric does? If so, we can give you some suggestions.
I was just taking Nate up on this quote. It made me curious. Never playing in Greyhawk before I was curious as to if there were other gods that might be more approprate to this class. Or if there is a church you guys work with alot that might be suited to me playing a FS from.

I do have an idea of where I want this character's role to be. Healer with a secondary role as the party's mage. Hes really not the "buffing" type. More of the "Lets kick some ass in the name of the god with some devine fire and steel" crusader type. But also making sure to look after the wounds of his brothers in arms.

Not sure if that sounds quite right... but hopefully you get the idea.

~HH
erilar

Post by erilar »

setanta14 wrote:Wee Jas is LN (~LE), and was initially just the goddess of magic to the people of the Suel Imperium, which was destroyed 1000 years ago during the Twin Cataclysms (Invoked Devastation/Rain of Colorless Fire). She picked up the death aspect during that time as thousands of her worshippers persihed.
Dang, Nate - you didn't even mention that she's hawt! You're slipping!

;)[/i]
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

And she's hot (see Deities and Demigods)
erilar wrote:Dang, Nate - you didn't even mention that she's hawt! You're slipping!

;)[/i]
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Trithereon, I like him. Hes going to be my god. So you said something about two oposing groups?

~hh
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I now defer to Bob to continue on this one :twisted:

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Trithereon, I like him. Hes going to be my god. So you said something about two oposing groups?

~hh
EvilGenius

Heh. Another faction arises ....

Post by EvilGenius »

K. My main character is Kalib Ironfist. He's a high level cleric of Trithereon. He has a fortified cathedral outside of Obsidian Bay (Cathedral of Justice). His lieutenant, Ellington, runs the Temple of Pursuit in the Warf district in OB.

There's another faction led by a cantankerous priest of Trithereon, Corin. He focuses more on rabblerousing. :)

There should be some info on Trithereon in the archives of the Griffcrier, but Ken may have taken those sections offline. Haven't checked in a while.

Trithereon is the God of Individuality, Liberty and Righteous Vengence. Over the years, I had made some roleplaying decisions on how Kalib's faction views things like mind controlling spells (they're very very bad), prison (very very bad), swift execution of those who enslave or harm others (very very good), taking prisoners (distasteful at best), attitudes toward humanoids (if they're actively evil, squash 'em. but otherwise, live and let live), and a few other things.

Corin's faction is much more militant, especially regarding humanoids. They're also much more tolerant of mind-bending magic (charm, command, geas, etc).
Hardcorhobbs wrote:Trithereon, I like him. Hes going to be my god. So you said something about two oposing groups?

~hh
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I have the general info from the Greyhawk deity PDF. I think it'll be alot of fun to play a worshipper from someone else who recently traveled here. Because reading throught the description... seems as if every temple has the potential to have a different view. My personallity will be that of the chaotic paladin. I dont follow the law, but if I see something wrong in my eyes, I'll spring into action and not let it pass.

This will give lots of roleplaying oportunities :D

~HH
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

As long as the character doesn't have a problem with charm/compulsion spells, that'd be great...

Damon.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

He wouldnt have a problem with them. But why mess with those types of spells when you can go straight to justice with devine fire?

Of course I wont get devine fire (flame strike) until much much later. :(

~hh
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The other thing to keep in mind regard gods and temples is that just because a temple doesn't exist in the OB write-ups on the GriffCrier doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all. Because of the development of the campaign, Trithereon and St. Cuthbert have gotten the lion's share of the attention, but its very easy to sneak in new gods, particularly ones without a huge following. And with those, you could always be a misisonary. :)