Episode 8: Not a Drop to Drink

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Re: Episode VIII: Not a Drop to Drink

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Bob, the bear I currently transform into is Polar Bear sized (the largest one I have stats for). How does my bear-form size compare to the one tailing us? (Wondering if I may appear dominant to that bear.)

My init roll: 11+1=12

Jareth again holds aloft the Fey Lantern to activate faerie fire, and then plants it in the ground, hung from his staff.

He then casts Dominate Beast (4th lvl, Wis 18, Wis save to negate), targeting the alpha wolf (closing within 30' if necessary). If the spell is successful, he gives the alpha a telepathic command to instruct his pack to ignore the lowly humans and instead chase the nearby lone bear out of their hunting territory.
Lance, the bears here are a little bit bigger than you when you're in bear form. In prior editions of D&D they would have been considered Dire Bears. :)

We'll pick up the combat/encounter on Sunday night. It will take a lot less time that way. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Bannock will check the dagger to be sure these aren't more wolf than they appear to be.

He will also draw and brandish his flametongue, waving it back and forth menacingly towards the wolves.

(I will be ready for combat on Sunday.)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Treasure from the Vaults:

Pelor’s Orb
There is a beautiful Orb before you, 6” in diameter. The orb seems to be made of some kind of clear amber colored stone, ground to an impossibly perfect globe. Inside there are gently swirling clouds of gold, orange and red, illuminated as if by a tiny sun.

As you observe the Orb, the clouds begin to swirl faster and faster, then dissipate altogether leaving a puzzling and wondrous sight! There in the globe is a miniature reproduction of your campsite, complete with you and your companions! You peer in rapt fascination as the little figures in the orb move in a blocky imitation of your companions’ movement, and you hear your companions conversations echoed in your mind, obviously being transmitted to you telepathically by the Orb. As you look more closely, you notice that some of your companions have a slight golden glow and some have a slight greyish glow, and their magical items sparkle mystically.

Sudden inspiration strikes and you shake the wondrous Orb, causing the whirling golden clouds to temporarily obscure the scene, then clear again, as the campsite around you becomes as bright as if it were noon on a cloudless day. You also believe that you could similarly invoke divine blessings upon the small figures depicted in the Orb, but you will save that for later.

The Orb allows the bearer to use an action to focus his or her will to create an invisible scrying sensor, similar to the invisible sensor of the Scry spell. This sensor must be created in a location that the bearer can directly observe, and the sensor appears at a height of 40’, or at the highest location possible at the chosen location. Once the sensor is created, a miniature reproduction of the location appears in the Orb, as though the bearer was looking down at the target location from the sensor.
The Orb is able to observe a target location for one hour, during which time the bearer also gains the ability to Detect Evil and Good and Detect Magic on creatures and objects depicted within.

While the Orb is observing a location, it can be shaken vigorously to invoke either Daylight or Bless on that location (bearer’s choice). The Daylight effect is at the minimum spell level. The Bless effect is 5th level, affecting 6 creatures. Only one effect can be invoked per use of the Orb and the bearer must still be in spell range to cast the spell on the observed location, though no direct line of effect is necessary.

The Orb will faithfully reproduce any and all activity that can be seen normally within the observed location. Invisible creatures will not be detected by the Orb, and the view is subject to the regular rules of illumination. If the location is dark, the bearer cannot see anything unless he or she can normally see in the dark. The bearer can make a Perception check to see hidden creatures, but has to choose to make the attempt.

The location seen in the Orb is stationary, i.e., it will not follow a particular creature, nor can the bearer will the scene to move. No concentration is necessary to maintain the magical observation, and the bearer can move and act normally without disrupting the observation.

The bearer can refocus his or her will on a new location (or the same location) again after a long rest, provided that the bearer can again directly observe the desired location.
(Very Rare, requires Attunement. Celestial made, Beacon, Conscientious)

Wand of Detect Magic
Bead of Force
Elemental Gem (Earth) x2
Ioun Stone, Protection (+1 AC)

Moonblade
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Good game last night! Thanks to all, and sorry we had to skip the final combat. It would have taken another hour, probably to resolve and I wanted to get everyone back to the prime to move on to other things.

I'm going to post a write up sometime this week, along with some more information about your items, especially the Moonblade, and who may or may not be able to use it, and under what circumstances.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, very fun session, folks. Thanks.

So, we are back on the Prime, right?

Do we level to 9th yet?

And, we have to divy up:
Bracers of archery
Bag pipes
Pelors orb
Moonblade
Wand of Detect Magic
Bead of Force
Elemental Gem (Earth) x2

Correct?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:Yeah, very fun session, folks. Thanks.

So, we are back on the Prime, right?

Do we level to 9th yet?

And, we have to divy up:
Bracers of archery
Bag pipes
Pelors orb
Moonblade
Wand of Detect Magic
Bead of Force
Elemental Gem (Earth) x2

Correct?
You will be back on the Prime and you can level up to 9th.
The treasure list is accurate, except for the Moonblade. That is a special item which is not necessarily treasure, per se. I will explain more when I have the time to do the write up. For now, in summary, the Moonblade is a treasure that is more much more powerful than the party should have at this level. The party is not really meant to use the Moonblade now, rather, this is an item that they will have the chance to develop into and 'win' the right to wield the blade. It's a Quest Item, not Loot. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hmmm, quick poll for everyone: At the end of last session, we had one (big) encounter to go to get you all back off of the Elemental Plane of Water. I was pressed for time and anxious to move on to the next things, buuuuuttttt, I've also been looking at the things I had planned for the adventure and I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to it. And I've been thinking about the fact that it might be less than satisfactory and pretty anti-climactic for you guys.

SO here's the poll:

1) Do you want to continue where we left off and finish the encounter the next time we play?

2) Do you want me to narrate what happened and move on with things?

The next scheduled game is 2/19, FWIW.
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

I'd be happy to finish the water part of the adventure.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm all for moving past that skipped battle through narration and getting back to the Prime and what comes next.
I know that means more work for you, but if we are going to play out that battle, then nothing happens for a month. If we move on, we can continue daily on here with investigations, etc. in town, and build up to the next cinematic set piece for next session. That allows play during the month.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm in the middle. These portals seem pretty integral to the story, so seems a shame to skip over that part.

That said, like Jon I am also greatly enjoying the added storytelling in the forum. That's been a very fun distraction during the week.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Fen's Ego

Post by Fen's Ego »

The hiatus from online interplay would be missed for 3 weeks, but you should unfold the adventure the way you crafted it. Story comes first, however you see fit.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, waiting for Ken's vote. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm in favor of moving the story forward, so my vote's for summarizing that battle and moving on to the Prime.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Righto, narrative advancement it is! :) Gimme a few days, I'm busy angry-posting on FB ..... :P
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Righto, narrative advancement it is! :) Gimme a few days, I'm busy angry-posting on FB ..... :P
No good can come from posting to Facebook.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange