Episode 8.5: Aftermath and Treasure

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Re: Episode VIII.5: Aftermath and Treasure

Post by EvilGenius »

Alisar continues, looking thoughtfully at the group. "Nooowww, Master. Just to clarify, those flippy-flappy things below your belly ... what are they called again? Pegs? Dregs? Oh oh! LEGS!! Yes yes, Legs. A thousand apologies, O Mighty Master, I am NOT an expert on mortals, after all!

Noooow, can you, or can you not, wiggle them about (which is HILAREOUS, by the way) and move through the air like a bird?"

Alisar looks quite seriously and intently at Jareth.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth confirms Alisar's insinuation that Jareth can indeed take the form of a flying creature.

"It's probably not a big deal if we leave the Apparatus here, for now. It is broken, right, and it would be just as hard for anyone else to get out of this hole? We'd make quite the stir returning to town in that contraption. Let's see if we can't find said town. I, for one, could use a warm, dry bed."

Did Captain Husad arrive on the Elemental Plane of Water the same way as Kage? Some kind of weird storm on the Prime, and then their ship sailed through to the EPoW?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Jareth confirms Alisar's insinuation that Jareth can indeed take the form of a flying creature.

"It's probably not a big deal if we leave the Apparatus here, for now. It is broken, right, and it would be just as hard for anyone else to get out of this hole? We'd make quite the stir returning to town in that contraption. Let's see if we can't find said town. I, for one, could use a warm, dry bed."

Did Captain Husad arrive on the Elemental Plane of Water the same way as Kage? Some kind of weird storm on the Prime, and then their ship sailed through to the EPoW?
Yes, the Apparatus is broken and would presumably be as difficult for anyone else to get out of the hole as it would be for you. It's also larger and heavier than the Apparatus in the DMG (I wanted more people to fit in it). So it's a 10' diameter, 12' long metal cylinder and weighs 1200 lbs.

Cpt Husad and his deckhand each arrived (separately) the same way that Kage arrived.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth will request that Alisar conveys us all to the surface, when everyone is ready for him to do so.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Jareth will request that Alisar conveys us all to the surface, when everyone is ready for him to do so.
Alisar looks at you quizzically for a moment. "I will certainly convey everyone to the surface of your most exquisite hole, Master, if you do not wish your companion/servants to have to fly to the top themselves."

Alisar looks thoughtful then brightens. "I suppose it must be tiring for mortals to waggle their legs around to fly. Ha! By the end of my remaining 93 years of service to you, most Insightful Master, I will be THE expert on Mortals!!"

With that, Alisar summons the winds to convey the party to the surface of the excavation. You reach the top and Alisar sets you down gently near the lip of the hole. There is a fairly large clearing here, which looks to be perfectly circular in a radius of a few hundred yards from where you judge Jareth's tower stood.

The excavated area fills much of the forest clearing.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

"It's ... good to be home," Brigga says, then looks around. "I assume we are home."

So ... does it look like home?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:"It's ... good to be home," Brigga says, then looks around. "I assume we are home."

So ... does it look like home?
It looks like the Fellreev to you. Jareth and Bannock can probably provide more insight.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm just glad there's no more water. I can do without the sea for a few years...
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

"Jareth and Bannock, are we truly ... back? I ask because I've been given cause more than once in the last few months to question ... well, to question reality. Or my sanity. Or both."

"Clanggedin's Beard what'd I'd give to be a few miles underground and fighting illithids. Creepy horrors that want to eat your brain, but at least you know where you stand with them..."
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jareth's survival check to determine our location: 10+8=18
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:Jareth's survival check to determine our location: 10+8=18
This definitely looks like the Fellreev. If you had to guess, you'd say your were near the eastern border of the wood, southeast of Farweald, past the Standing Stones/Elven Burial Mound.

If you travel further East you would leave the woods and enter the Bandit Kingdom, north of Rookroost.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

If the party doesn't object, and seeing as we have just rested at the bottom of the pit, now that we are in the clearing at the top of the pit, Bannock will join Jareth in guiding the party back towards Farweald.

Bannock will suggest taking the most direct route, probably through the wood towards Farweald. Using his Survival (d20 roll of 17 +skill ranks of 11 in favored terrain = 28), the Compass ability of his Cloak of Elvenkind to know which direction is true north, and employing his ranger Natural Explorer class feature (group not slowed by terrain, group can't be lost but by magic, group alert to danger, forage for twice as much food, etc.), with he and Jareth leading the party through the wood then the journey shouldn't be too bad, barring interruptions of a fell nature.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Translation: we could put a metal pail over Bannock's head and bang on it with a stick throughout the journey, and he's still get us back to town. hehe.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Translation: we could put a metal pail over Bannock's head and bang on it with a stick throughout the journey, and he's still get us back to town. hehe.
"I'm still not 100% sure this is the right reality ... but Bannock seems certain he knows where he's going. Today, that's good enough for me." -- Brigga.