Alaric Conversion to 5e

For characters who aren't active in a campaign, but who still have plans for world domination.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Alaric Conversion to 5e

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

While I continue to think that 25 is high...

The other thing to consider with Kalib is that his items as they are now... Sword = artifact, armor = legendary, shield = legendary. The original bonuses would have bumped all of Kalib's gear to artifact level. Addtionally, these items give him more combat options than just a high AC. Alaric as is will ONLY have a high AC. No extra abilities from his gear.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:While I continue to think that 25 is high...

The other thing to consider with Kalib is that his items as they are now... Sword = artifact, armor = legendary, shield = legendary. The original bonuses would have bumped all of Kalib's gear to artifact level. Addtionally, these items give him more combat options than just a high AC. Alaric as is will ONLY have a high AC. No extra abilities from his gear.

Heh. Those were the original versions. JusticeSeeker is either Legendary or an Artifact. Kalib's armor now is Very Rare (adamantine is Uncommon, +2 is very rare, advantage on one Chr check per day is a minor ability, i would think). His shield is also Very Rare and is just a straight Animated Shield (no adamantine, no resistance, not called).

I do think it's reasonable to look at the overall power level of the items in question. Yes, adding a few more +s or abilities to Kalib's shield, for example, would certainly push it into Legendary status, whereas Alaric's +2 shield is only a rare item.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Justiceseeker is an artifact per Ken's write-up. I've been adding the rarities together. So (Adamantine) uncommon + (Armor +2) very rare = Legendary. Your last version of Kalib still has the shield written up as Adamantine Animated Shield (so same addition as the armor).

Again, I still think all AC is a one trick pony. Personally I'd still drop the bonuses on the shield and get something else.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Justiceseeker is an artifact per Ken's write-up. I've been adding the rarities together. So (Adamantine) uncommon + (Armor +2) very rare = Legendary. Your last version of Kalib still has the shield written up as Adamantine Animated Shield (so same addition as the armor). .
I think that's not an accurate reflection of an item's power, personally. If you look at the different items at each tier, I don't think that the tiers are additive. For example, +3 armor is legendary, but so is Efreeti Chain, which is +3 and immunity to fire damage and the ability to speak and understand primordial and the ability to stand on and walk across molten lava as if it were solid ground. So if +3 chain mail is legendary then efreeti chain should be a super artifact.

+2 plate mail is very rare, but dwarven plate is also very rare and that gives you +2 to AC and the ability to reduce being pushed by 10'. Dragonscale armor is +1, and advantage on saves and resistance to damage and the ability to sense dragons nearby 1/day.

So my point is that the +s are important and it seems that you can add a few extra abilities without really bumping up the rarity by much.

But this is all interpretive, on either side. I don't think its super important if people think legendary when i think very rare. No big deal. And as I've thought of it more, meh, it doesn't really matter to me if Alaric's AC is high. His magical items are standard and non-controversial. Kalib's magical equipment has never been standard or non-controversial. It probably makes sense to reduce power on Kalib's crazy customized 3E gear in a way that it doesn't make sense to reduce a set of standard +2 plate.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Bob, your post hit the nail on the head of the one issue Ken and I have found with 5E. Magic item creation rules are more rough guidelines than they are actual rules. There's several ways to interpret them, and there's a bunch of items that don't seem to follow the rules the same way others do.

Monsters are the same way. Take two of the same CR monster - one is overpowering for the party, one is a pushover.

End of the day, you say potato, I say patato... and we still wait for Ken to throw his $0.02 in. ;)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: and we still wait for Ken to throw his $0.02 in. ;)
Yeeeaaahhhh, where is that slacker? :P :wink:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

You have reached the life model decoy of Ken Newquist, please leave a message.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Hmmm...thinking Ken has been kidnapped by HYDRA...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:Uhh, also ... how did this thread get 2900 views??? Damon, how many times did you check this after you posted it? lol!
That is really weird. Might be time to do a forum upgrade. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:But this is all interpretive, on either side. I don't think its super important if people think legendary when i think very rare. No big deal. And as I've thought of it more, meh, it doesn't really matter to me if Alaric's AC is high. His magical items are standard and non-controversial. Kalib's magical equipment has never been standard or non-controversial. It probably makes sense to reduce power on Kalib's crazy customized 3E gear in a way that it doesn't make sense to reduce a set of standard +2 plate.
This is my thinking as well. Being a heavily-armored tank is Alaric's thing ... it makes more sense for him to have a high AC.

That having been said ... this is exactly why Cory and I would like to run some high level adventures before tackling Woryx -- we just don't understand high-level play yet. Is AC 25 a big deal? Is having a shit-ton of hit points a big deal? We don't really know right now. We *think* it is, but we don't know. I think a few playtest sessions will tell us a lot about our assumptions.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

For feats I took Heavy Armor Expertise & Mounted Combat. The latter is mostly for flavor, but you never know!

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/