Episode 18: Splish Splash

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
EvilGenius

Episode 18: Splish Splash

Post by EvilGenius »

Placeholder until I do the write up. :D
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Episode 18: Splish Splash

Post by EvilGenius »

The PCs sent the Hammerhart Twins on their way back to Farweald with instructions to lay low until everyone got back and figured out what to do next. Onarra, realizing that it would be difficult to be sneaky with Lil' Buddy's 8' armored form clanking along beside her, decided to hand off the powerful guardian to Gimdriss Hammerheart to keep her safe.

After a day of calming travel through the Felreev, the PCs made camp and discussed the most strategic distribution of their magical equipment. Later on, while most of the party lay sleeping, Onarra heard a strange clacking sound coming from the forest, and the clacking sound was getting nearer. She awoke the PCs, who hurridly prepared for battle, just in time for several huge, mutated crab creatures to burst from the treeline, followed by several lizardmen!

The PCs quickly fought off the strange creatures with both sword and spell. After the battle, Bannock, Jareth and Onarra conferred and informed the party that these creatures were totally out of place in the Felreev. These creatures either inhabited swampy coastlines or the deep, deep oceans. Not knowing what could have brought the creatures here, the PCs settled back into their rest.

The following day the party set off again in the direction of the open portal. Around mid day they came upon a small lake with many of the same crab creatures and lizardmen, but the PCs retreated a bit then stealthily avoided the large group of foes.

A few hours later, the PCs approached the former location of Jareth's tower. When they had been here last, there was a 100' deep, hemispherical excavation, at the bottom of which lay the stable portal. Now however, as they approached, everyone got the unmistakable whiff of salt water. Stopping at the tree line, the PCs looked out at the large salt water lake that now lay overtop of their goal.

After making hurried plans on underwater travel, the PCs all slipped into the strange salt-water lake and quickly sunk to the bottom of the cloudy water. Using the internal buzzing to guide them toward the portal, they set off across the bottom of the lake. After a short distance they saw what looked like floating suits of stylized plate mail and tridents, which immediatly turned toward them and started moving in their direction!

In a short but bloody underwater battle, the PCs defeated the elemental myrmidons and moved on to the open portal where they were met with an even stranger sight. A large figure emerged from behind the portal. It was humanoid but with a fish like head and its lower body was a tumultuous whirlpool. This figure was clad in fine, shimmering silks and sparkling jewels. Unpon seeing the PCs, the figure sighed wearily and bowed toward Jareth.

"Greetings, master. I see that you have returned, finally. I suppose that I am still, technically, bound to your service, despite your long absence, your inexplicable decision to move the tower that you were so desparate for me to help you build, and then throwing said tower into the Endless Sea and crashing it into my own extravagant palace!! Why, one marvels at what commands you may yet have for me."

The PCs all looked at each other uncomfortably, remembering that large portions of Jareth's tower did indeed fall into the sea, most of which missed the location of the portal and fell deeper into the depths. You hadn't had the time or inclination to ponder where they may have ended up, but apparently you now had an answer.

The PCs determined that the marid was indeed, already attuned to the portal, and were able to negotiate a satisfactory deal with him. The Marid would take several valuable gems in compensation for the damage to his home, then return through the portal and release his attunement to it. Then Jareth would release the genie from his remaining term of service.

Eager to leave "this small mudpuddle", the marid kept his side of the bargain and Jareth was able to successfully attune to the portal and force it to close.

The PCs surfaced and climbed their way onto shore, taking stock and wondering what to do next.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!