Learning about Obsidian Bay

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
NukeHavoc

Learning about Obsidian Bay

Post by NukeHavoc »

Cory,

We've got two sources for learning more about Obsidian Bay.

First is the Adventurer's Guide to Obsidian Bay, which provides a broad overview of the city, its history, its layout, and its factions. Read this and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the city is all about, and some of how it relates to Greyhawk proper.

Second is the as-yet-incomplete Obsidian Bay City Book, which attempts to break down the city's locations by district.

Ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Read through the Adven. Guide. Very impressive. It's like what i've been trying to do with my homebuilt setting... only x100. Someday I'll get there.

This stuff is making me more and more anxtious to play. Only two more days :wink:

One thing I have come up with is a region/city/town my character has come from. I've never ventured into Greyhawk before, so maybe someone could make a suggestion there. I was thinking of perhaps being a war-orphin whos traveling with the word of his god, seeking where his special ablities could best be used. Going to be focusing a bit more on healing spells, with some holy vengence, and then some buff and other usefull spells to even it all out.

~Cory
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Well, Greyhawk is definitely the setting where war orphans are commonplace. The current campaign year is Common Year 591/2. The various conflicts collectively called "The Greyhawk Wars" took place in the early to mid 580's. Depending on what god you selected, a better suggestion could be made.

The main conflicts of the Greyhawk Wars took place either in the old Great Kingdom and Nyrond lands, or in the lands surrounding Iuz (the kingdom, and the demi-god).

In the west, Sterich, Yeomanry, and Geoff had a hard time dealing with the giants/drow.

Near the Pomarj, Greater Obsidian Bay (Blue, etc.), the Uleks, and Celene fought off the orcish armies.

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Read through the Adven. Guide. Very impressive. It's like what i've been trying to do with my homebuilt setting... only x100. Someday I'll get there.

This stuff is making me more and more anxtious to play. Only two more days :wink:

One thing I have come up with is a region/city/town my character has come from. I've never ventured into Greyhawk before, so maybe someone could make a suggestion there. I was thinking of perhaps being a war-orphin whos traveling with the word of his god, seeking where his special ablities could best be used. Going to be focusing a bit more on healing spells, with some holy vengence, and then some buff and other usefull spells to even it all out.

~Cory
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Just to make sure... 580 to 591 = 11 years?

I think I came up with a better backstory since the whole war angle is off. I'm looking at healing being my primary specialty at this point (I. E. spells are just about picked out), with some "sun" inspired spells to round out the list. I will be going with Pelor as my god. I like the light/fire spells too much.

Would you like the background posted, or should I just have it?

~HH
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Read through the Adven. Guide. Very impressive. It's like what i've been trying to do with my homebuilt setting... only x100. Someday I'll get there.
Yeah, it only took us 9 years. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Just to make sure... 580 to 591 = 11 years?
Yes, though it's important to note that a near-constant state of war has existed on the Pomarj for the last decade or so; even when there was technically peace between the Orcish Empire (which controls most of the Pomarj) and Obsidian Bay, there was still a lot of skirmishing going on from both sides. Obsidian Bay fell to the Scarlet Brotherhood (and was then overrun by demons ... long story) and was only liberated in CY 589 (if memory serves). There was a sort of uneasy ceasefire between the liberation of the city and cy 591, but then war broke out again.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:Would you like the background posted, or should I just have it?
If there's nothing super-secret about it, then you can post it here, otherwise give it to me & Nate on Friday.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Nothing super secret. Rather ordinary actually. But I'll post it later. During lunch most likely.

~hh
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Or... I'll post it later. I forgot I dont get Office on this computer until some time next week. With my spelling, its best if I wait until I get home at this point.

~HH