Kerth Greenfield, Favored Soul of Pelor

The Obsidian Bay campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Kerth Greenfield, Favored Soul of Pelor

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Kerth Greenfield is the 4th child of 6. He was born to a free, but poor farmer and his wife. His childhood was of that of any farmer’s son. As soon as he could, he started helping out with the chores of the farm. Mostly, they raised crops of various sorts, but they also had a few animals to which he helped out with. When not doing chores, Kerth played with his siblings and with the animals of the farm. Due to the family being farmers, they chose to worship Pelor, to help their crops grow.

The good times would not last however. It was towards the middle of his childhood that the Greyhawk wars began. Kerth ‘s father and brother volunteered to help build defenses at first, and later to rebuild homes and other buildings ruined during the war. His mother and his two older sisters, on the other hand, helped where they could with the wounded. They made meals and bandages, and even acted as nurses at times. It was during this time Kerth, barely a teenager, tried to do what he could. He was never a very strong boy. Not weak, just not strong like his father and older brother. So he helped his mother and sisters when he could. This is what lead to the discovery of something new.

One day Kerth was helping his mother. She was acting as a nurse to the clerics of town. Still being young Kerth was fascinated by the clerics ability to heal. Then curiosity of a young boy kicked in. He went up to a wounded man, and attempted to heal him just as he had watched the clerics do. Miraculously, he got the desired effect. It was nowhere as efficient as the clerics, but he was able to heal none the less. Witnessing what the boy had done, an older cleric took him under his wing in an attempt to hone the new found powers.

Some years, and many healed later, Kerth decided the next step would be to become a cleric. He had already become proficient with the ability to heal, even if it was a bit different from how the clerics did it. It seemed he didn’t even need to pray to use his powers. Things did not go well during the training however. Since his methods differed from the clerics, he was viewed a bit with a skewed eye. Many of the younger clerics took a bit of distrust to him. In the end, he was not accepted into the fold.

So Kerth went back to the farm. He realized he had a talent, and even if the church didn’t want it, Pelor gave it to him for a reason. So he volunteered as a full time nurse, using his healing abilities along-side the same clerics who denied him acceptance. When the wars came to a close, Kerth decided it was a new opportunity. So he packed up the little bit of belongings he had, said goodbye to his parents, and set out into the world, with only Pelor to guide him. Now 24, he’s been traveling for several years. He seeks out places that require his abilities most. He never asks for compensation, and stays in the temples of Pelor volunteering his services there in return for some food and a place to sleep. On occasion, he’s even adventured along side small groups delving here and there into mysteries. He keeps himself armed with the tools he needs to do such tasks, and donates anything extra he acquires to the local churches for defense.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Great Cory... based on your write-up, your character would probably be from the fallen land of the Duchy of Tenh, a Flan kingdom(race of humans culturaly similar to a combination of ancient Celts and Native Americans) in the northeastern Flannaess (the continent of Oerth where the Greyhawk setting takes place). Pelor is one of the more powerful gods of Greyhawk, and is a Flan god widely worshipped by other human races (particularly Oeridians) as well.

Excerpts from Greyhawk "Wars" boxed set regarding Tenh:

The Fall of Tenh

For decades upon decades, the atamans of Stonefist had coveted the Duchy of Tenh--a land warm and lush by the severe standards of the barbarians. Yet for as many years, the Duke of Tenh and his armies blocked the way into those wealthy lands. Based in the walled city of Calbut,22 Duke Ehyeh's patrols watched and guarded Thunder Pass, repelling small forays and delaying larger raids until reinforcements from the city garrison could arrive. For centuries the walled cities and garrisons of Tenh limited the Fists to minor border raids. Preoccupied by skirmishes with the Fruztii, the Fists had not mounted a major attack through the pass for over 30 years.

In that time the Tenhas grew complacent. Believing the northern frontier secure, Duke Ehyeh siphoned warriors from Thunder Pass to more pressing assignments: patrols to intercept foul creatures from the Griff Mountains and the Troll Fens, task forces to hunt down desperados of Rookroost and the Bandit Kingdoms, and standing armies along the increasingly hostile border with the Theocracy of the Pale. With Thunder Pass quiet and the Hold preoccupied, Ehyeh allowed the Tenhas guard in Calbut to dwindle dangerously.

By 582 CY, Calbut lay completely unprepared for the storm of barbarians sweeping through Thunder Pass. The once-great gorge wall that sealed the heights of the pass toppled before the Fists' onslaught and Tenhas runners bearing word of the attack fell between footfalls. The relentless tide of Fists flooded through the pass, inundated the walls of Calbut, and stormed the still-open gates, catching the garrison commander completely unawares.23 Every man among the townsfolk was slaughtered and many women and children carried off to captivity.

Though the loss of Calbut grieved the Duke of Tenh, he expected the invasion to follow the course of previous incursions: the advance would grind to a halt while the undisciplined hordes looted Calbut. During the days--perhaps weeks--the Fists would spend in savage plunder, Duke Ehyeh would carefully muster his army and trap the barbarians in their camps. Slowly the duke drew the army of Tenh together, secretly withdrawing troops from other fronts.

This invasion, however, did not follow the same course as past attacks. While Tenh's forces mustered to waylay the Fists, Sevvord Redbeard pushed his troops forward again. In the brief campaign that followed, the Fists marched down a branch of the Zumker River, easily overwhelming the thin ranks of the Tenhas militia in their path. Within five days of the fall of Calbut, Sevvord's horde laid siege to the walled capital of Tenh, Nevond Nevnend.

Without the assuring presence of Duke Ehyeh, the citizens panicked. Rumors of empty granaries ignited a mob of fearful peasants, who marched on the citadel. In grotesque overreaction, the Council of Lords loosed the citadel guard upon the mob. The protest festered into a riot that spread to every corner of the city. As mob panic reach a rolling boil within the walls of Nevond Nevnend, Sevvord Redbeard laid siege to the walls without. The capital fell, and with it all authority in Tenh.

After the twin disasters of Calbut and Nevond Nevnend, the armies of Tenh were decimated. Sevvord's Fists easily fanned out through the countryside and into the Phostwood. The Duke and Duchess, along with their children, fled their homeland, finding refuge in the court of Countess Belissica of Urnst.

22. The fortification of the frontier actually predates the founding of the Duchy of Tenh. The first defenses were built by the Aerdi, a towered wall at the top of the pass. Calbut evolved naturally at the base of the pass and was already fortified at the time of the Tenhas Rebellion.

23. The less-than-illustrious career of Margeist of Redspan won him the back-waters post of Steward of Calbut, a position in which he "could cause the least harm." Vain and incompetent, the new garrison commander quickly came under investigation by the Knight-Magistar of Tenh for supposedly diverting funds from the garrison treasury. Margeist's guilt or innocence became moot when he disappeared in the sack of Calbut. Rumors suggested Margeist betrayed Calbut, using the capture to screen his escape.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Great Cory... based on your write-up, your character would probably be from the fallen land of the Duchy of Tenh, a Flan kingdom(race of humans culturaly similar to a combination of ancient Celts and Native Americans) in the northeastern Flannaess (the continent of Oerth where the Greyhawk setting takes place). Pelor is one of the more powerful gods of Greyhawk, and is a Flan god widely worshipped by other human races (particularly Oeridians) as well.
I agree -- good write-up. And I agree with him being a Tenh; it's a shattered land, and one that goes well with this character's wandering background. You should be aware that there's a slight prejiduce against the Tenh in Greyhawk now (more in the Greyhawk City and the regions around it down in Obsidian Bay); some of the Tenhites tend to be, well whiners, when it comes to lamenting their lost homeland. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Sounds good. Prejustice is ok with me, because as a favored soul I already have some from the clerics. So just stack it on the back. :wink:

I'll read up about my new homeland in a few minutes. But I wanted to post some questions quick. Is it ok if I have a horse? I'm carring alot of healing supplies, and a bunch of traveling stuff. It would make sence that i've been traveling on a horse (or having a pack-horse as the case would more likely be) Also, I want to take 1000 gp and just toss it aside. It would represent the money/wealth/items I've donated to the church over the years. I figure if I do it this way it more accurately represents Kerth's travels over the years. Or is the 5400 gp already take things like that into account?

~hh
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: I figure if I do it this way it more accurately represents Kerth's travels over the years. Or is the 5400 gp already take things like that into account?
The 5,400 gp is what the DMG things you need in order to be a competent 4th level character. I'm guessing it factors in routine spending (whether on altruistic undertakings, drinking, or wenching), but not excessive "I tithe 50% to my church" kind of spending.

So I'd say go with the regular gold piece value; if you give away 1000, your character will probably be underpowered relative to his level.

ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote: The 5,400 gp is what the DMG things you need in order to be a competent 4th level character. I'm guessing it factors in routine spending (whether on altruistic undertakings, drinking, or wenching), but not excessive "I tithe 50% to my church" kind of spending.
ken
Ok. Thats why I asked. I thought of it this morning at work and I wasnt sure exactly how they discribed it in the DMG. Though Kerth is rather generous with his donations to the curch and the poor, he has no strict rule about how much he gives (since much of his other money is spent on healing supplies).

Thanks
~hh

*edit*
Dang, hope my family got out ok...

Would it be alright to say as farmers they were left alone. They just changed who they tythe to?
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

In raspy Clint Eastwood voice from Heartbreak Ridge with cigar clamped in teeth:

"Looks like Kerth and Prug will be holding hands and taking long showers together into the wee hours of the morning."

Hardcorhobbs wrote:
NukeHavoc wrote:Though Kerth is rather generous with his donations to the curch and the poor, he has no strict rule about how much he gives (since much of his other money is spent on healing supplies).

Thanks
~hh

*edit*
Dang, hope my family got out ok...

Would it be alright to say as farmers they were left alone. They just changed who they tythe to?