Star Wars Mini Game

The forum for little figures blowing up other little figures.
Lars Porsenna

Star Wars Mini Game

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I read over the rules last night, and Cory is right, very simple. So far I have 2 concerns about the rules:

1). So if I'm reading the rules right, Class 1-3 ships can target another ship ANYWHERE on the map??? So if I decide to take (frex) a Neb-B frigate up against the Viscount, and attempt to overwhelm the other guy with fighters (ala many a fine Xwing mission), I am severely hindered in this tactic as the Viscount can essentially unload on my ship, take it out, and I loose the game.

2). Still using the IGOUGO initiative systen. Easy to houserule, and perhaps IGOUGO makes the game more simple, but I would have liked to see something a bit more sophisticated than this...(although this is not a major gripe).

Damon.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Aaanyway...

I was cruising around the WOTC boards, and it looks like I'm not the only one with misgivings on the ranges of ships...

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=744806

Some nice ideas here that I was thinking about last night (inverse range depending on ship class...though right now I think I'd rather want a range of 4 for ALL classes save 4th, as well as using more than one map).

Damon.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Its IGOUGO but its simultanious. So all damage is done in a single phase. I think thats fair.

The ranges on class 1-3 ships are rather large. But that just makes the game quick and dirty. :twisted:
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

While damage is simultaneous, I find its easy to say, harder to implement and track. Although I don't think it will be as bad as in Battletech (which BTW uses simultaneous damage, though no-one I know uses that...), but still I would prefer rolling initiatives...

But the other point, quick and dirty games, I don't think really fits the SW universe. A Star Destroyer is supposed to slug it out for a long period of time, dealing damage and taking the same. The idea that I could take one out in 1 round IMHO does not fit into this setting background. I think toning down ranges would help here, however, but the real determinant is when I play a few games...

Cory, if you want to get together to try a game, we can arrange a night. My house is always available for gaming (and that counts for other games too, BTW).

Damon.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Hows thursday at kens? :P