Just when I was happy about playing Heroclix again...

The forum for little figures blowing up other little figures.
Jonkga

Just when I was happy about playing Heroclix again...

Post by Jonkga »

So, it looks like WizKids has even more changes to Heroclix planned for the 5th anniversary of the game:

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/ma ... ?cid=41324

I can't say I'm happy about this... :(
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

What's the problem though?

Color coded rarity? I think only hard-core collectors will really care about that.

Extra figure in the pack all for $9.99? The price is cheap enough still...PLUS an extra figure.

Character cards? Perhaps...if they do it like Mechwarrior, it will suxxors the big one... But then if they include the appropriate character card in the box with the appropriate mini, seems OK enough. THat would be the clincher, IMHO. But then, it also depends on how many cards are in a box too...

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Please do elaborate. I don't see anything that's a show stopper here. It won't cause me to return to my old Clix buying habits, but I'll probably pick up a booster or three.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, I suppose it's just my usual, "why do gaming companies have to fix things that aren't broken" syndrome. I liked the game as it was when it first came out, and all the changes that it's gone through, and obviously will continue to go through, just make me want to do unspeakably horrible things to my fellow man. It just continues to frustrate me. I guess I don't have as much Heraclitus in me as the next guy...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

More on this later, but my initial reaction is the same as Jon. They just keep messing with things that don't really need to be messed with.

The changes aren't huge. They're not doing REV dials anymore. They're going to sort by rarity instead. So you may not have 3 levels of each figure in an expansion. You may have a common and a rare Thor, for example. Or just a common.

The other 'change' is that they're going to include some specific power cards for certain figs. Think individualized Feat cards.

Overall, I'm not excited but I'm only mildly annoyed. That said, I don't think I'll keep buying. Most of my faves have been made in a playable form, so it seems like a good stopping point.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm all for making the game a little deeper, providing more team-building options, etc.

That said, there's one big mistake being made here. Clix was supposed to be the minis game that doesn't require you to shuffle a handful of photocopied charts. Everything you needed to play (assuming a certain level of rule familiarity) was printed on the base. They executed this goal very well.

Now what do they propose? A bunch of unique powers that require you to juggle a handful of cards. Battlefield conditions I can begrudgingly deal with - one or two laid out on either side of the playfield.

But now, not only to I have to figure out which of 7 carrying cases Radioactive Batman is hiding in, I also have to find the fucking card for Radioactive Batman so I know what the damn Radioactive power does. Overly cumbersome - the game was supposed to be fast & simple. Harumph.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer