The party's plans for the 5/18 session

For discussion of the Expedition to Ravenloft
erilar

The party's plans for the 5/18 session

Post by erilar »

Now that you have the fortune reading in its entirety, here's a thread for you all to discuss your goals for Friday's adventure.

For the time being, I'm going to plan on you traveling to the marsh first. No problem if you want to change - just let me know here.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I still believe the best first step is to go after the Holy Symbol. It's relatively nearby and we should definitely do everything we need to do OUTSIDE of the castle first. I don't think we'll get a chance to go into the castle and retreat back out for something we forgot ..... :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Obregon agrees. According to Madame Eva, both the Holy Symbol and the Sunsword lie outside of the castle. With the town of Barovia in relative safety for now, and with the Burgomaster's Daughter around to see to the town, we should endeavour to reclaim the holy symbol and the sunsword, then make our play to the castle, where we can hopefully recover the tome, activate the sword, and encounter the count. That is, unless he comes to us first.

Also, we should make sure that we do all that can be done for the knight we have strapped to Rathostaz's horse, really, he should be dropped at the town for care, if possible. He could become an ally, or at least provide some info to us, possibly.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Ahhh yes! thank you for reminding me!

Lance, after a day of rest, Donny can cast several Lesser Restorations, Remove Curse/Disease and Curative spells to restore the man to full health.
Jonkga wrote:Also, we should make sure that we do all that can be done for the knight we have strapped to Rathostaz's horse, really, he should be dropped at the town for care, if possible. He could become an ally, or at least provide some info to us, possibly.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Okay - I'll write up some things that the restored knight tells you once you reach Barovia and have a chance to rest.

Before that though, one more new development:

On your forced march back to town, Rathostaz raises his hand for you all to halt and be quiet. He indicates to Pierce and Lysander that he's found some tracks - small human-sized booted footprints. You all investigate, and discover that someone was hiding behind some undergrowth directly in your path, amongst a small thicket of young oak.

From the tracks, this watcher apparently arrived at this vantage point from the same direction you came from. It appears that the watcher has been following you, and that they have circled around ahead of your path. The tracks seem to stop in this patch of undergrowth, but there is no sign of this person. What do you all do?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote: The tracks seem to stop in this patch of undergrowth, but there is no sign of this person. What do you all do?
Well we don't know if this person is friendly or not. But WE are really banged up before we get to town. Obregon is 2nd level. Doneghal is 4th. Ashlyn is 3rd or 4th. Donny's out of magic, as is Pierce (I don't know how Rathostaz is doing).

So I say we totally press on back to Barovia.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Nobody else has any thoughts or comments? Is the consensus to ignore this event and high-tail it back to town?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Pierce will look at the tracks, look at the battered, bruised and bleeding group and then say ... "I think we should make all speed for the village. If this individual is benign, then maybe he will follow us or find us again when we leave. If he's not ... well, best not deal with that right now."

After the party starts moving again. "So ... the swamp eh? Dangerous things live in swamps. Undead things ... err, unlive ... in swamps. And yet, it's close, and we actually know what we're looking for, so I suppose the swamp it is. But maybe we should stock up on some antidote, snake bite kits and 10 foot poles..."

He then looks around for the paladin. "I'm beginning to think there might not be a lot of profit in this land ... but it sure would be useful to know how to kill these damn animated monstrosities. I bet those Lightbringers know a thing or two about their weak points ... but there better not be any poverty vows..."

Pierce would like to join the Lightbringers as well.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Nobody else has any thoughts or comments? Is the consensus to ignore this event and high-tail it back to town?
OOC: Sorry, Lance. I didn't actually get any of these posts until today.

Obregon certainly understands the rest of the group's desire to rest and recuperate. Obviously, he could use some looking after as well. However, he will speak up and say:

"Mayhap it would be a good idea to see if we can't locate this follower of ours. Yes, it could be a threat, but we have shown that we can handle threats. On the other hand, it may be a boon - perhaps it is a member of Madame Eva's entourage, come to give us more useful info. I think it behooves us to check it out a bit, or a t least try, prior to returning for succor."

OOC: and, did we retcon the neglevels or not? I need to know if I need to retool my char sheet...
erilar

Post by erilar »

No one loses any levels permanently from last week's specter encounter. Assume that all saves were made.

I also owe you guys XP from the specter, but it obviously won't be much. Remind me - who all was there?

Obregon
Pierce
Rathostaz
Ashlyn
Lysander
Doneghal

Is that everyone? What are your char levels (undrained)?