Back to the Effect

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Back to the Effect

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

New DLC, Mass Effect Avatar Items, New themes, and now I've gotten a tweet from one of the soundtrack composers! Is it like my birthday or something?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jeez - how many times have I Tweeted that I was listening to Mass Effect OST at work. I feel cheated! :lol:
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Did you hashtag Mass Effect? (#MassEffect)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Downloaded and played the DLC last night. It's basically a place to go and practice your combat skills. The DLC puts you in a simulator and gives you is 4 different options (hunt, capture, survival, and time trial) on one of 3 maps. Despite being an infiltrator with sniper rifle and pistol specialties only... I've already managed to get top scores in 6 out of 8 senarios (the other 4 are initially locked).

Now I was hoping for a new mission like "Bring down the sky", but I think this is a welcome addition to the game. I really wish they had this available earlier when I was dying a lot... IMHO it's not worth returning to Mass Effect just for this DLC, but if you are playing the game anyway it's totally worth the $5.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I finally finished Mass Effect today. As everyone else said ... what a great ending! Makes me wish we had a good SF series in theatres right now (aside from the new Trek relaunch I mean).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect, trying to get some more achievements. Did you know that when you get the sniper rifle and shotgun achievements, it unlocks the ability for non-soldier classes (like engineer or adept) to be trained in those weapons?

And did you know that the engineer allows you to hack enemy robots, allowing you to use them against your enemies? (I'm assuming this is primarily used with the geth and their robotic offspring).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:So I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect, trying to get some more achievements. Did you know that when you get the sniper rifle and shotgun achievements, it unlocks the ability for non-soldier classes (like engineer or adept) to be trained in those weapons?

And did you know that the engineer allows you to hack enemy robots, allowing you to use them against your enemies? (I'm assuming this is primarily used with the geth and their robotic offspring).
I knew some of the achievements convey in game benefits... but the engineer ability sounds awesome! I played for a bit yesterday. Made my way to the research facility on Novaria (did I ever mention how much I hate the Mako?). I'm about to head into the "Hot Labs". Unfortunately I had to quite last night because I got curious and broke into the restricted area in the other lab... since security was shooting at me I realized that wasn't where I wanted to be and shut down the game. It was time for dinner anyway.

I'm going to attempt to beat the game this week before Dragon Age comes out.
erilar

Post by erilar »

If you stick to the main quest line, it's not a particularly long game - you should be able to do so.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:If you stick to the main quest line, it's not a particularly long game - you should be able to do so.
Other than one mission left on Pinnacle Station I have done all other sidequests. Literally, ALL of them. My quest log consists of Novaria, Vermire (sp?)... oh and one mission on Feros I can't complete because I'm passed that point.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Good article Ken! Now if only I could sit down and beat the game...

I will make progress in Mass Effect tonight... I will make progress in Mass Effect tonight... I will make progress in Mass Effect tonight... I will make progress in Mass Effect tonight...
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

For those that didn't see my tweet last night: I beat Novaria. Very fun. But, by the time I was done and arrived on Varmire I was far too tired to deal with the Mako. I hope to beat Varmire and make my way to the ending tonight (with perhaps a side venture over to Pinnacle Station to finish up those achievements).
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Woohoo! I beat it! Fantastic ending! Probably one of the best endings I've ever played through! Loved that game.... except for the Mako. I still hate the Mako. Otherwise I loved it! Can't wait for ME2!

Oh, one thing that bothered me though... for some reason I got one ally achievement and not two. I thought I had used the same two characters for most of the game. I guess playing a game over a two year period makes you forget some of the earlier missions though... ;)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Woohoo! I beat it! Fantastic ending! Probably one of the best endings I've ever played through! Loved that game.... except for the Mako. I still hate the Mako. Otherwise I loved it! Can't wait for ME2!

Oh, one thing that bothered me though... for some reason I got one ally achievement and not two. I thought I had used the same two characters for most of the game. I guess playing a game over a two year period makes you forget some of the earlier missions though... ;)
Heh. At least you got one. I didn't get any; apparently I switched way too much.