Chapter 11: Arrival at Devil's Elbow

Discussions relating to the Paizo adventure Path.
NukeHavoc

Re: Chapter 11: Arrival at Devil's Elbow

Post by NukeHavoc »

setanta14 wrote:Can't see the scale clearly, maybe Ken can give a hint as to distances?
The full bar is 1 mile.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:
setanta14 wrote:Can't see the scale clearly, maybe Ken can give a hint as to distances?
The full bar is 1 mile.

Hmmm, then it seems the island is only about a mile across, and Witchlight only seems just over a mile from the Harbor. Even under extreme jungle/forest conditions, it shouldn't take all day to cross, I wouldn't think.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Yeah, I over estimated the size of the island, though moving through the blast zone around the crater is still hard going because of downed trees and stuff.

Call it 1.25 miles from Witchlight to the harbor as the dragon flies, maybe 1.75 by road given the switch backs. A small team could easily make it to the harbor in a 30-60 minutes by the road (assuming no trouble [evil dm smile].
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Let's call it 1.30 hours to the crater from Witchlight.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

So, what's the consensus old chaps?

Move everyone to where Clegg is at the crater?

Move everyone to the intact buildings near the harbor?

Stay put and fortify Witchlight?

Fortify and split the party to try and convince Clegg to come to us?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Jheru says:
Well, Witchlight doesn't seem to be in great shape, so staying here isn't a necessity, it just seemed like all we really had to do at the time. Given that we can quickly get to Clegg, I'd say we want to meet up with what is left of his troop. If that's at the Harbor, good. If he's already headed for the crater, it shouldn't be impossible to catch up to him.

Then, we probably do want to establish a base for the night, and in the morning continue our investigations refreshed and ready, with as full a force as possible.

We may want to consider where the cave complex the dark elf lady's notes point to are located. The two obvious possibilities are the two towers - but which one? The intact one seems more likely, but a cave complex below the ruined one deosn't seem out of the question either.

Also, getting word back to our ship and eventually the mainland seems importnat, especially in light of the devastation that occurred at the harbor. Any ideas on how we might accomplish that?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Also, getting word back to our ship and eventually the mainland seems importnat, especially in light of the devastation that occurred at the harbor. Any ideas on how we might accomplish that?
I believe the party had been leaning toward using the old lighthouse mirrors in the basement coupled with the lantern. The original plan (by the mages) was to use a pyrotechnics spell cast by Samaritha, but the ship has not responded yet (or at least, has not approached the harbor yet ... but it's only been a day)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Agreed on hooking up with Clegg's crew. I think we should consider using the other (less-ruined) tower as our shelter over night.

I am thinking that Depora's cavern could be one accessible by sea - in the side of one of the shore cliffs, perhaps only visible at a certain phase of the tide?

We also need to discuss (before meeting up with Clegg) what we plan to do with other (non-Tholyr) infected survivors. I don't think we should commit to any protracted journeys or lodging with any infected Clegg-flunkies.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: I believe the party had been leaning toward using the old lighthouse mirrors in the basement coupled with the lantern.
We had discussed this option, but it was going to take a long time. Phil personally votes to abandon that course of action in favor of keeping the group together. Maybe we could take one of the mirrors with us for use in a pinch?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Skender would advocate moving the entire group to meet up with Clegg all at once as well. After we root out the drow, we can work on signalling a ship for a ride home at our leisure, as time won't be of the essence. What is of the essence now is getting the drow/skymetal before they escape the island.

The few tracks we did detect near the crater headed south, so based on that orientation, we should look for caves south of the crater and then probably towards the eastern tower since it's closer, and otherwise they would have passed by Witchlight.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Also, how long has it been since Tholyr and the apprentice mages were bitten by the tentacle-lions? How are they looking? Does it look like things have progressed, or do they look ok for now?
Upweekis

Post by Upweekis »

Jorm agrees. Meet up with Clegg's group, hope he has a healer, and go from there. If he is reticent to help us, We may be able to win him over to our side with the pound of skymetal that we found. I wouldn't mention it if he receives us warmly.

What about the cave entrance the bugs came out of? I think that might be a back door into a the cave system.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Good point, though Skender would rather tangle with drow than stirges.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Also, how long has it been since Tholyr and the apprentice mages were bitten by the tentacle-lions? How are they looking? Does it look like things have progressed, or do they look ok for now?
It's been about a day in both cases. The two infected apprentices are looking sickly and fatigued. Periodically you can see something move beneath their skin, stretching it in unnatural ways. If you had to guess, they don't have long.

Tholyr, the hale and hardy dwarf that he is, looks much stronger. Both the apprentices and Tholyr need to make Fort saving throws (DC 13).
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
Jonkga wrote:Also, how long has it been since Tholyr and the apprentice mages were bitten by the tentacle-lions? How are they looking? Does it look like things have progressed, or do they look ok for now?
Tholyr, the hale and hardy dwarf that he is, looks much stronger. Both the apprentices and Tholyr need to make Fort saving throws (DC 13).
Ok, cool. Tholyr's Fort bonus is +5. I'm going to spend a hero point before the roll to give my an additional +8, for a +13 bonus. In Pathfinder, does a roll of a 1 on a save constitute automatic failure?
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!