Episode 8: Not a Drop to Drink

The 5th Editon playtest campaign.
erilar

Re: Episode VIII: Not a Drop to Drink

Post by erilar »

Fen's Ego wrote:Still holding the bracers and thus, unaware of the "shimmering" wall, she asks, "and just how are we getting back? Something from your chest look like a key?"
Jareth mentions that the wall now looks like it did from the other side, so we should be able to pass through. He concentrates as before to sync the time fluctuation (?) and attempts to make like Alice through the looking glass.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
Fen's Ego wrote:Still holding the bracers and thus, unaware of the "shimmering" wall, she asks, "and just how are we getting back? Something from your chest look like a key?"
Jareth mentions that the wall now looks like it did from the other side, so we should be able to pass through. He concentrates as before to sync the time fluctuation (?) and attempts to make like Alice through the looking glass.
Jareth, you concentrate on the wall for a moment and see the time distortion synchronize. Once it does, you step forward into your own reflection, as before, and disappear through the wall.

Onarra briefly huffs and snorts in her best dwarven impression (and stomps once just to sell it), then concentrates on her reflection and steps through herself into the wall.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The rest of the party sees the back wall of the Mirrored Alcove start to sparkle, then Jareth and Onarra step out of the mirrored wall.

Jareth steps forward to exit the alcove, but he stops short in surprise. The middle section of the illusory chest is now solid!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:You move into the outer cavern. Are you trying to be stealthy or anything? Or just clanging up, dwarf-style, maybe with a few extra heavy stomps? :)
Sorry -- missed this update.

I was looking to stay in our cave, but near the entrance (I may be mis-remembering the layout). Brigga would move cautiously, but at the end of the day she's still a dwarven battle wizard so ... yeah, being truly quiet may be difficult.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote: Jareth steps forward to exit the alcove, but he stops short in surprise. The middle section of the illusory chest is now solid!
Hey, look Onarra! Maybe we need to press the left and right buttons in Mirror Land to make the side compartments "real" here?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote: Jareth steps forward to exit the alcove, but he stops short in surprise. The middle section of the illusory chest is now solid!
Hey, look Onarra! Maybe we need to press the left and right buttons in Mirror Land to make the side compartments "real" here?
Well, there ARE two other mirrored walls around the chest .....
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:For those outside in the main cavern:

The weird fish-men dove back into the pool a few moments ago. But now the water seems to be churning and choppy. Also, from the tunnel leading to the outside, very strong wind has started to blow into the chamber, making a low howling noise. It looks like quite a storm is starting up outside ....
"If a shark pops out of there it's all yours..." kage takes a step back and goes into a defensive stance.
After a few more moments of nothing happening except for the wind moaning down the tunnel, you start to see some lightning flashes outside of the tunnel. Huh, seems like maybe a big storm out there.

However, since the fish-men don't make an appearance, all of you head back into the Crystal Cage and see Onarra and Jareth step back through the mirrored wall.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:However, since the fish-men don't make an appearance, all of you head back into the Crystal Cage and see Onarra and Jareth step back through the mirrored wall.
"It's almost as though they're getting good at doing that." -- Brigga

Brigga will keep Gar at the entrance, instructing him to watch for the return of the fishmen.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

The Genie, Alisar, welcomes Jareth back. "Ahhh, Master, welcome back! I see you avoided the sleeping gas and time distortion, Good for you!! I remember when Masters Balisar and Naziah snuck through the Fey Mirror and tried to access your most prized possessions while you were away. They didn't come out for 2 months! You easily captured them upon their return!!"

"So Master, will you be accessing the Fel Mirror or the Beastly Mirror as well?"
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:The dancing flames have the same out of sync property in the reflection directly behind the illusory chest. The two mirrored walls on either side of the chest do not have that property (neither Onarra nor the flames are out of sync).
Also, as you are studying the mirrors to see if the reflections match, you inadvertently concentrate on one of the mirrored walls and for a moment, everything takes on a light bluish hue and you feel a slight chill. You hurriedly look away and the reflection in that wall goes back to normal.
Hmm, guessing the Fel mirror is the one with the weird blue chill effect? This level of trap detectery is beyond Jareth's abilities.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Also, as you are studying the mirrors to see if the reflections match, you inadvertently concentrate on one of the mirrored walls and for a moment, everything takes on a light bluish hue and you feel a slight chill. You hurriedly look away and the reflection in that wall goes back to normal.
Hmm, guessing the Fel mirror is the one with the weird blue chill effect? This level of trap detectery is beyond Jareth's abilities.
You voice your opinion to the party. Alisar listens intently (as he does to everything that Jareth says) but looks a little confused that you don't seem to know your own stronghold. He starts explaining, speaking somewhat slowly and very distinctly. "Yes, oh glorious Master. The Fel Mirror is here", he grandly gestures to the mirror next to him. "It leads to your alcove in the ShadowFel. And that mirror there, you call the Beastly Mirror, leading to your alcove in the Outer Plane known as the Beastlands." Alisar finishes speaking, though he clearly is waiting on you to say something in return ...
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote:Alisar finishes speaking, though he clearly is waiting on you to say something in return ...
Jareth tries bluffing on for size: "My companions appreciate your melodious explanation, Alisar. Frees my mind to elegantly plot our next course of action."
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:Alisar finishes speaking, though he clearly is waiting on you to say something in return ...
Jareth tries bluffing on for size: "My companions appreciate your melodious explanation, Alisar. Frees my mind to elegantly plot our next course of action."
Alisar's chest puffs out a bit in pride at your compliment. "A thousand thank you's, glorious Master. I shall continue to provide detailed explanations of things that you should obviously already know." Alisar sketches an elaborate bow. "We are currently in the Crystal Cage, Master, where, interestingly enough, you commanded me to stay some years ago as punishment for failing to prevent your former companions, Naziah and Balisar, from entering the Fey Mirror and attempting to access your most secure vault. And also where you commanded me to never tell you anything that you didn't seem to already know, in case someone tried to impersonate you and gain access to your most valuable possessions or to attempt to usurp my loyalty to you. As if that were ever possible, Master!"

Alisar gestures broadly at your companions, "And with us are several of your fine companions, Master. Here is Master Bannock, who looks much the worse for wear compared to his former presentation. It's not just the wet doggie with him, it's the overall sense of ... muddiness, I suppose. But no matter, I am happy for you Master, that you have seemingly repaired your friendship with Master Bannock.

And here is Mistress Miette, who I have continually warned you against for being an untrustworthy thief. I offer a thousand and one apologies for focusing your attention on Mistress Miette instead of the Masters Balisar and Naziah when THEY are the faithless dogs who betrayed you and incurred your just and terrible wrath.

Here is Mistress Brigga, wearing bulky, heavy armor, as always, even though, as I have previously pointed out, it makes her look somewhat frumpy and is altogether unflattering to one already so short. As always, she looks as though she wishes to hit me in the face with her Hammer (which I note she is not currently carrying). I believe that is her favorite, perhaps only, facial expression. And there is her tiny genie slave her ugly mud-vase." Alisar points to the Beaker of Plentiful Potions hanging from Brigga's pack. "The ugly thing is a VERY appropriate prison for such a small and powerless genie. He looks quite bored, as is only fitting.

And here is a servant of yours who I am not familiar with, o great and glorious Master. He appears quite plain and uninteresting. I assume he tends your garden and perhaps midden. Or perhaps you brought him along as a small meal for one of your other servants. Perhaps the doggie?"
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erilar

Post by erilar »

As you can see, Alisar, Balisar and Naziah are no longer amongst us - so count yourself lucky. Now please cease educating my servants on their own appearances, and instead make yourself useful explaining how faithful Miette might safely access the Fel and Beastly alcoves. My plans require the contents of those chests. For the moment, I need to focus on these tomes without distractions.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

"Of course, Master Jareth, at once!" Alisar bows low again. "Thief Miette! Pay close attention!! As the Master well knows, you must concentrate on either Mirror to synchronize your being with the plane on the other side. With the Fey Mirror, you synchronize yourself to the possible time distortion. I believe elves or others with Fey ancestry have an easier time passing the Fey mirror than those without.

With the Beastly Mirror, you must become attuned to the animal nature within in order to pass. Once inside though, be warned, do not slay any of the beasts you may find! For it is said that if you slay a denizen of the Beastlands, you may be cursed to assume it's form and stay for all eternity! This mirror is more easily accessed by those with a bestial nature themselves. I am sure you will have NO problem entering the mirror, Thief!

The Fel Mirror is a fouler thing. The Great and Glorious Master has said that one must come to terms with one's own mortality in order to pass into the ShadowFell. I know not what lies within, though I do recall my Most Excellent Master saying that all would have an equally easy or difficult time accessing the Mirror since Death is a companion to us all." Alisar beams at Jareth. "You are QUITE philosophical, Master. For a mortal."

"I believe that if each section of the Master's Most Wonderful Chest is properly opened in it's own location, that the final chest is made corporeal here in the Crystal Cage for a short time. It is TRULY a clever and most secure method of safeguarding your most valuable possessions, Master."