Wait! Disney is doing WHAT?!!

A place for members of the public to meet, talk and pass out.
EvilGenius

Wait! Disney is doing WHAT?!!

Post by EvilGenius »

From Scifi:
Disney announced that the upcoming syndicated fantasy TV series formerly known as Wizard's First Rule will officially launch as Legend of the Seeker and will kick off with a two-hour premiere on Nov. 1.
K. For those who aren't familiar with Wizard's First Rule, see this thread on Nuketown:

http://www.nuketown.com/books/offtheshe ... 0#comments

Soooooo, icky graphic bondage and torture
+
Disney

:/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

see, when i heard this book was being developed, i thought it was for a movie, and I STILL didn't think it was a super idea unless they were going for an R or NC17 rating.

And even then it would still be icky and I wouldn't watch it.

But as a TV SERIES done by DISNEY .......

I don't get it.

Are they just going to cancel the last half of the book and make up a different story?

And if so, can they make a more interesting first half of the book, too? :)

Lame.
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

O.M.G!

This is the quote by Sam Raimi:
"Terry Goodkind is a brilliant author and I fell in love with his books, reading them with my family," Raimi said. "In discussing these incredible story lines and rich characters with my friends and partners Robert Tapert and Josh Donen, we agreed that Wizard's First Rule would make an amazing television series -- one that could be produced with compelling, self-contained episodes."
He read this book with his family?!!?!?!?

Am I mis-remembering this book? Was there or was there not 1/3 + of the book devoted to the capture and torture of the main character, with plenty of psychologically horrible details about how they trained the torturers to do what they do?
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Okay, so apparantly I'm not misremembering.

According to Wiki, this was the torture chick:
Denna
Denna was a Mord'Sith and a captor of Richard while he was in custody of Darken Rahl. Denna was assigned to torture Richard so he would be compliant and provide the text from the Book of Counted Shadows which would allow Darken Rahl to open the Boxes of Orden and unleash the Keeper, thus granting himself immortality. Denna fell in love with Richard, due to his insistence on showing her compassion despite the way she treated him. She eventually asked him to kill her to free both himself from Darken Rahl's clutches and herself from her role as a Mord'Sith. She gave Richard her agiel as a token of her love right before he killed her.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Maybe the Raimi family is like the Manson Family?
EvilGenius wrote:He read this book with his family?!!?!?!?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Yeah, I really don't know how you get around the S&M stuff, which shows up in other books in the series as well (at least, from what others tell me). It's not 1/3 of the book, but it's a hefty chunk of the later part of it, and it's not ahem, family friendly.

Related note here's the official site, with trailer: http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, historically, Disney does have a pretty strong track record of acquiring the rights to a property, and then scrapping most of the source material and Disnefying what's left into a new whole of thier own devising. So, I would expect it to be pretty radically different from the book.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
moths

Post by moths »

One thing that is guaranteed to be good about this is Bruce Spence. He appeared as the Mouth of Sauron in the extended LotR, but is probably better known as the Gyrocaptain in the Mad Max series.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wow - I hadn't know that was the guy that played the Mouth of Sauron, but it totally snapped into place for me. That guy has one really unique facial shape. (I know the Mouth was also CG'ed a bit as well.)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Goodkind on the upcoming series

Post by EvilGenius »

hmmmm.
Seeker Fans Reassured

Terry Goodkind, author of the best-selling fantasy series The Sword of Truth, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming Legend of the Seeker TV series will not disappoint fans of the original books.

"I think what readers read the story for is because they want to watch and follow characters that they love and hate," Goodkind said in an interview at Comic-Con International in San Diego last month. "They want to be with those characters and follow that story and know what's going to happen. Exactly what those characters do isn't as important."

Seeker is based on Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule and follows the adventures of a young woodsman named Richard, a mysterious young woman named Kahlan and a powerful wizard named Zedd, who band together to stop the rise of a dark wizard.

"If the characters are great characters and you want to journey with them, the story is secondary," Goodkind said.
EvilGenius

Re: Goodkind on the upcoming series

Post by EvilGenius »

"If the characters are great characters and you want to journey with them, the story is secondary," Goodkind said.
See, I don't know about this. It kind of makes sense but honestly, characters aren't enough. They also have to be in a story that's interesting, IMO.

Once the story is established and done, THEN have the further adventures or whatever. But I think it's a misunderstanding on the part of the author to so completely divorce character from story. Ideally, character and story rely upon each other and enrich each other.

So bringing well loved books (not by me, but by someone, I guess) to a tv series is awesome but saying out of the gate that the story kinda doesn't matter as long as we like the characters seems to be missing half of the equation.

On the other hand, artistic theory aside, if all they're cutting out is the bondage/torture crap, I can see their point. :)