Star Wars Campaign: what are you thinking of playing?

Our KOTOR campaign.
erilar

Star Wars Campaign: what are you thinking of playing?

Post by erilar »

Cory: spaceship captain/owner
Ken: force-sensitive engineer 1st mate
Brendan: Wookie scoundrel (hacker subtype)
Damon: Mon Cal or Sullustan jedi. Or a protocol droid who becomes an assassin/warrior droid. Or a (fighter?) pilot.
Bob: Jedi
Nate: undecided
Lance: Probably a human jedi (consular type). Or, a gunslinger scoundrel, or astromech droid tech class that also contains a transmitter that allows the ship's "Cortana" AI to communicate with the party. Maybe this last char (and the AI) could be an NPC?
Jon: unknown
George: unknown (playing?)

Post here with any concepts you're working on, or if I forgot anyone.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
T1Mirage

Re: Star Wars Campaign: what are you thinking of playing?

Post by T1Mirage »

erilar wrote:George: unknown (playing?)
Yes, I will be playing.
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'm planning on playing a non-force using, non-force sensitive soldier. I plan on wearing armor and wielding heavy blaster pistols and rifles (provided I can get access to them). Considering sub-skills in demolitions as well.

Playing a human is temping, for the extra feat, etc., and they are the most prominent race in Lucas' stories. However, I am leaning towards some other races, so probably won't be human.

Have we made any other decisions about character creation? Did we say anything about starting credits (or just by the book)? What about credits earned from 1st to 2nd level? What about allowable/available races/classes? Are we using the KOTOR book or the saga book, or both? What about allowed starting equipment or any equipment restrictions?
Last edited by Jonkga on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I am working on a similar, though different character... a multi-classed Scout/Soldier. Also interested in armor, blaster pistols and rifles, and maybe some kind of melee weapon, like a spear. Armor Specialization and Commando Talents, etc.
T1Mirage

Post by T1Mirage »

I was thinking of something along the lines of a ranger. Skills but yet Combat oriented. Maybe some demolitions
The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.

It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:Have we made any other decisions about character creation? Did we say anything about starting credits (or just by the book)? What about credits earned from 1st to 2nd level? What about allowable/available races/classes? Are we using the KOTOR book or the saga book, or both? What about allowed starting equipment or any equipment restrictions?
No, we haven't discussed any of this. And the 2nd level thing is still up for discussion, if you'd rather do something else.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote: What about allowable/available races/classes? Are we using the KOTOR book or the saga book, or both?
Regarding races, IIRC the KotOR book says that all the classes in the Saga book are available in the KotOR setting, but that the primitive races (ewoks and gungans) are extremely rare, as they do not travel off-world. Call me tonight if you want clarification and I'll look that bit up.

We'd be using at least the Saga and KotOR books, right? (At least I hope so, since the group has begun to buy the KotOR book...)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

So to try and start answering Jon's questions ...

Source Books

I think we need to work through some of this as a group, but by default I'd say anything in the Saga Edition core rule book and the Knights of the Old Republic book is in, assuming it is appropriate to the time period (which I think most of the generic stuff is (like weapons, equipment, etc.) and the group as a whole is cool with it. This would include, races, feats, talents and force powers.

There are some races that aren't in the KOTOR setting (gungans, ewoks) but I don't think any of us are looking to play them.

That said, there *are* different kinds of licenses to own certain classes of weapons (commercial, military, etc.) and I think those restrictions still apply in the KOTOR universe. Which isn't to say that you can't get the uberblaster without a military license if you can find an underworld contact to sell it to you, but I don't think folks should start with anything they have secured a license for.

Starting credits: I'd go with max credits per your class. I'm not sure if the game addresses how many credits you get when you start at a higher level. I'll check out the Order 66 podcast forums to see if they know; if someone figures it out in the meantime, please post. If all else fails, we can ad hoc something.

With regards to people who want to have access to a starship, please check out the "setting up the setup" thread, where we are discussing that:

http://www.griffcrier.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2185

Having low-level characters own their own starship can get a bit sticky, especially for those who don't get one ("hey, why don't *I* have a 100,000 credit piece of equipment?) so we need to work that out so everyone's comfortable with where we land.

Again, these are just my thoughts on things, so please post your ideas.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I think we need to work through some of this as a group, but by default I'd say anything in the Saga Edition core rule book and the Knights of the Old Republic book is in, assuming it is appropriate to the time period (which I think most of the generic stuff is (like weapons, equipment, etc.) and the group as a whole is cool with it. This would include, races, feats, talents and force powers.

There are some races that aren't in the KOTOR setting (gungans, ewoks) but I don't think any of us are looking to play them.

That said, there *are* different kinds of licenses to own certain classes of weapons (commercial, military, etc.) and I think those restrictions still apply in the KOTOR universe. Which isn't to say that you can't get the uberblaster without a military license if you can find an underworld contact to sell it to you, but I don't think folks should start with anything they have secured a license for.

Starting credits: I'd go with max credits per your class. I'm not sure if the game addresses how many credits you get when you start at a higher level. I'll check out the Order 66 podcast forums to see if they know; if someone figures it out in the meantime, please post. If all else fails, we can ad hoc something.

I think we are all in agreement that the KOTOR book and the Saga edition book are in. If anyone isn't cool with that, please speak up. I know Ken and Damon, and maybe others, have some other books, but those are mostly for background and DM stuff, I would expect. I think grabbing feats and equipment and such from other sources should be vetted by the group, learned or acquired in game, etc.

My question really did stem from some of the timeline differences between the KOTOR book and Saga edition book. Specifically about races, no joke at all, I am very heavily considering playing a Gungan. I know the KOTOR book says they are largely isolationist, and haven't really ventured off-world. But, I don't see them as low-tech as say the Ewoks or the Gammoreans. They do have a higher level of tech, and so could support spaceflight. I was thinking about a being a strong soldier type (much more Roos Tarpals than Jar Jar Binks) who does not serve in the Gungan forces, but instead goes off-world to explore and learn about the Republic and other star systems, etc. (much like the Quorian pilgrimages from Mass Effect).

I am also totally down with the licensing aspect of heavy weapons ans such that both books present. I'd say we shouldn't start with military or restricted items. I would say it might be acceptable to start with things that are simply licensed, as the book explains that those just need to be purchased, much like buying a hunting or fishing license. We would just need to buy the license as starting gear also. Anything more I'd say would need to happen in game.

As for starting gold, the book does explain 1st level, but I think it assumes playing from 1st level every time. I didn't see any rules for starting more advanced, but I'll check again.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Does anyone remember the propigation rate of starting gold at other levels in D&D? That might be a way to figure it out...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Here it is, broken down in a proportion of each successive value broken down compared to a ration by being divided by the previous value.

i.e., 900 is 9 times bigger than 100 (average starting gold)
2700 is 3 times bigger than 900
5400 is 2 times bigger than 2700
9000 is 1.667 times bigger than 5400
13000 is 1.444 times bigger than 9000 in ad nauseum

100 X
900 9.000
2700 3.000
5400 2.000
9000 1.667
13000 1.444
19000 1.462
27000 1.421
36000 1.333
49000 1.361
66000 1.347
88000 1.333
110000 1.250
150000 1.364
200000 1.333
260000 1.300
340000 1.308
440000 1.294
580000 1.318
760000 1.310

So, all we need to do is plug in the average starting wealth for the SW PC classes in the first spot, and extrapolate from there.

This is what it looks like assuming 500 Credits as the starting average (I don't have the books yet, but they're ordered, so I don't know what the real value is... but I remember starting credits was in the hundreds)

SW Saga/KOTOR
Ratio Credits/Level
0.000 500
9.000 4500
3.000 13500
2.000 27000
1.667 45000
1.444 65000
1.462 95000
1.421 135000
1.333 180000
1.361 245000
1.347 330000
1.333 440000
1.250 550000
1.364 750000
1.333 1000000
1.300 1300000
1.308 1700000
1.294 2200000
1.318 2900000
1.310 3800000

Lars Porsenna wrote:Does anyone remember the propigation rate of starting gold at other levels in D&D? That might be a way to figure it out...

Damon.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:Specifically about races, no joke at all, I am very heavily considering playing a Gungan. I know the KOTOR book says they are largely isolationist, and haven't really ventured off-world. But, I don't see them as low-tech as say the Ewoks or the Gammoreans. They do have a higher level of tech, and so could support spaceflight.
A gungan? I already knew I was going to need to roleplay a character with more patience and zen than I personally have, but now you're really challenging me. To be fair, I guess a character like Captain Tarpals would be cool, but one like Jar-Jar would almost certainly precipitate my fall to the Dark Side... :lol:

Seriously though, the gungans aren't supposed to have interstellar flight tech themselves, but per Wookiepedia the planet Naboo is colonized by humans 70 or 80 years after time we're considering as a setting. So, it'd be very plausible that interstellar races have discovered and visited Naboo in our time frame, and that a few adventurous gungans have hitched rides elsewhere.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:
Jonkga wrote:Specifically about races, no joke at all, I am very heavily considering playing a Gungan. I know the KOTOR book says they are largely isolationist, and haven't really ventured off-world. But, I don't see them as low-tech as say the Ewoks or the Gammoreans. They do have a higher level of tech, and so could support spaceflight.
A gungan? I already knew I was going to need to roleplay a character with more patience and zen than I personally have, but now you're really challenging me. To be fair, I guess a character like Captain Tarpals would be cool, but one like Jar-Jar would almost certainly precipitate my fall to the Dark Side... :lol:

Seriously though, the gungans aren't supposed to have interstellar flight tech themselves, but per Wookiepedia the planet Naboo is colonized by humans 70 or 80 years after time we're considering as a setting. So, it'd be very plausible that interstellar races have discovered and visited Naboo in our time frame, and that a few adventurous gungans have hitched rides elsewhere.
Yeah, I'm even brushing up on my Gunganese just for you. :wink:

And, the Gungans don't have their own ships or spaceflight yet, but the planet has been visited, so getting off-world doesn't seem a stretch to me. And, the Gungan description certainly doesn't restrict them from using technology, and they are frequently referred to as developing bio-based tech like their plasma-ball weapons and the shields to their undersea cities, so catching on to spaceship tech once they've ventured out into the world doesn't seem odd to me either.

I'm really warming up to this idea.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Jonkga wrote:no joke at all, I am very heavily considering playing a Gungan.
OMG! WTF?! :shock: :D

The ability to speak does not make one sentient!!! lol!
moths

Post by moths »

If you'll remember, the Gungans as a whole were badass. They had shield-tech mounted on giant battle beasts, hurled (little f) force globes at enemies, and some had extremely cool catfish mustaches. Their army was were well disciplined, and they had a really organic, natural feel going on.

Unfortunately, we primarily saw the exception. It would be like trying to get an impression of humanity by watching Jerry Lewis movies.