Unorthodox?

Our KOTOR campaign.
EvilGenius

Unorthodox?

Post by EvilGenius »

I can't find anywhere in the Saga rules where it says that Jedi cannot wear armor.

The Jedi class does not start with any Armor Proficiency, but nowhere does it say that armor is restricted (not under the Force section, the equipment section, the armor section, the armor proficiency feats themselves or the Jedi class description).

So one of the other builds I was considering was an asskicking lightsaber duelist. And I was going to give him a level of soldier or scout and outfit him with light armor.

So according to the rules that should work, right?

From cannon sources, Vader wears armor, Obi-Wan wears partial stormtrooper armor in the Tartakovski Clone Wars cartoon and in the Lucas Clone Wars cartoon.

So that should work I think.

What do you guys think?
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

That would be fine IMHO.

Really wish SAGA kept the DR armor paradigm though, so that armor wasn't useless at higher levels... :(

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I think its cool... nothing says Jedi "Knight" like armor.
NukeHavoc

Re: Unorthodox?

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:=So that should work I think. What do you guys think?
Untraditional, but I don't think there's anything in the rules to prevent it, and there is a Force tradition built around constructing your own armor (though I can't remember what it's name was ... I think it's in the core book).
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

Armored Defense: add EITHER your heroic OR your armor bonus, whichever is HIGHER to your Reflex Defense

Improved Armored Defense: add your heroic level PLUS 1/2 your armor bonus, or just your armor bonus, whichever is HIGHER

So, if you're a Soldier, you still maintain at least some benefit from armor at every level.
Lars Porsenna wrote:That would be fine IMHO.

Really wish SAGA kept the DR armor paradigm though, so that armor wasn't useless at higher levels... :(

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:That would be fine IMHO.

I don't. IMHO it would run counter to the nature of the Star Wars universe, where most armored individuals have life expectancies measured in seconds (with a few notable exceptions of course).

I like it as it is; armor will give you an advantage in certain areas, even at higher level (what with Fortitude Defense bonuses and augmentation capabilities) but a skilled non-armor combatant isn't totally outclassed by them (e.g. Obi-Wan and Jango Fett's battle in Clone Wars).

Not saying it models reality ... but I think it does model Star Wars :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Re: Unorthodox?

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:=So that should work I think. What do you guys think?
Untraditional, but I don't think there's anything in the rules to prevent it, and there is a Force tradition built around constructing your own armor (though I can't remember what it's name was ... I think it's in the core book).
Jensaarai, pg 107.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

While nothing prevents it in the rules, I think an argument could be made that mainstream Jedi would look down up it. Jedi are suppose to be about using the Force for knowledge and defense -- what does it say about your mindset if you rely on physical armor for defense rather than your true ally, the Force?

That said, KOTOR's all about variant Force traditions, so I'm not arguing against it ... just suggesting that such a route might generate conflict with more traditional Jedi.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

NukeHavoc wrote:While nothing prevents it in the rules, I think an argument could be made that mainstream Jedi would look down up it. Jedi are suppose to be about using the Force for knowledge and defense -- what does it say about your mindset if you rely on physical armor for defense rather than your true ally, the Force?

That said, KOTOR's all about variant Force traditions, so I'm not arguing against it ... just suggesting that such a route might generate conflict with more traditional Jedi.
Yeah, I think it sets up some interesting tensions. The Sith (Malak, Revan, Vader, etc.) all use armor, as do other force traditions. Many of the later Jedi use armor, at least at some points (hell, Luke runs around in stormtrooper armor and/or a flight suit for a bit even). And, given the focus on swords and lightsabres in the KOTOR games, armor seems like a no-brainer. Just like Revan and Malak split with the "traditional" stick-in-the-mud Jedi who wouldn't commit to joining the Mandalorian Wars, the Councils might not like the idea of a Jedi in armor, but I bet more than a few Jedi Knights on the front lines would adopt such gear. In fact, any Jedi who joins the ranks later might already know how to use and have a set of armor. Just the younglings "brainwashed" by the Council from a very young age might not ever learn to be proficient wearing armor.

Hell, there's even a guy who has vambraces that block lightsabres, what's to say some Jedi get armor that blocks lightsabres for fighting Sith and other Dark Jedi?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I look at it this way: Jedi are generally peace keepers and negotiators. Therefore, they don't walk around in armor because that can be seen as a bit intimidating. However, as we saw in the clone wars, some of the Jedi who went to war began wearing armor (others were so quick they didn't worry about it). So, depending on the time period I wouldn't be surprised to see many armored Jedi.

Relate this to Bob's Dark City character Kato, when he's out there investigating, he's not showing off his armor. But when it's time to fight, he reveals what he's really wearing.

So I don't see why we couldn't have armored Jedi.
erilar

Post by erilar »

KotOR let jedi wear armor. Some of the force powers couldn't be used in armor, though - do the Saga rules do that? I can't remember.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:So I don't see why we couldn't have armored Jedi.
I'm not saying we shouldn't have Jedi in armor, just that it could set up some interesting tensions among factions in the Jedi Order (complete with a Jedi Archivist pointing to an extensive chart of Jedi who wore armor and their rate of turning to the dark side ....) :)

If nothing else, it would be a great symbol of the difference between the Jedi Order and the Revanchists during the Mandalorian Wars.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revanchist_(faction)
Therefore, they don't walk around in armor because that can be seen as a bit intimidating.
Exactly. So what does it say about the Jedi choose to wear such armor? I'm not saying Bob's hypothetical jedi would be a Dark Sider for wearing armor, but I can see factions within the Order arguing against it (particularly the more pacifist ones).
erilar

Post by erilar »

I can also envision a faction of jedi preaching that Dark-Siders and Sith are an ever-present threat, and that a truly vigilant jedi must always be on their strongest guard. Kind of like Jedi Homeland (Homeworld?) Security. :D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Much like we've been doing, I wasn't arguing either way, just stating my own stand-point on the topic. :)
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »