SW Skill Challenges

Our KOTOR campaign.
EvilGenius

SW Skill Challenges

Post by EvilGenius »

Cross posting from Nuketown:

I was thinking about it and really I don't see why you couldn't put in a skill challenge for almost anything, even multiple times per session if you want.

There are tons of things that we do in the course of a normal game which can be handled by skill challenges.

Find out where the traitor is lying low? Gather Info skill challenge. Each part you successfully complete allows you to follow his 'trail' that much farther. Loose out on a check in the skill challenge and misinterpret or get wrong info. Fail the skill challenge altogether and the quary gets wind of your search and high tails it for some other location.

How about chasing enemies who are trying to flee (or trying to escape from someone chasing you)? Especially in a city environment. We've never had a really good way to model the chase because we don't have accurate street level maps of wherever we were.

Now it's not a problem. Skill challenge focused on stealth, deception (bluff), awareness (spot/listen), climb (take to the rooftops!), open locks (to get into that locked door at the end of the deadend ally) (and then to successfully lock it behind you and get away!), use computer to sound an alarm targeting your pursuers (even if they're the local security forces. Confusion helps you get away), knowledge: local (they're doing construction on that road! Turn the other way!!), ride (if you're on a horse), pilot (if you're in a landspeeder), hell even make a quick gather info roll as you run past some bystander, (hey, where can i get a bunch of chickens!?!).

And if the players are doing the chasing, they can do all of the same types of things to find their quary.

How about one of our super-all-time-favorite adventure tasks: interrogation. We've been trying to do it for like, 30 years and I'm honestly no better today than when I was 7. I've honestly thought about taking criminal justice courses to help me get better at it! :)

But now, it's an awesome skill challenge. Go the persuade route or the intimidate route. Or both with good cop/bad cop.

How about interfacing with strange computers, like in the first adventure? Now that you're a little more prepared for it, it would be a great skill challenge to be able to slice into the computer, get the base schematics, find the prisoners, turn off the security systems, overload the turbolaser and send the pirates on a goose chase to the front of the base while we escape out the back.

Fail on any of those tasks and maybe we would have had to fight a little more as the pirates were alerted to our presence, we weren't able to disable the base defenses so we have to deal with force fielded rooms while dodging blaster turret fire and security droids, we could temporarily disable the turbo laser but not destroy it, etc.

I think the whole concept PERFECTLY fits in with this style of play.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I think Skill Challenges are port-able into any game that uses skills. Want something different in GURPS? Skill Challenge! Savage Worlds getting dry? Skill Challenge! etc. Yes,you could even do this in the Mechwarrior RPG.

That being said, the whole finding Torg segment of the adventure would NOT work as a skill challenge and have quite the same impact...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:That being said, the whole finding Torg segment of the adventure would NOT work as a skill challenge and have quite the same impact... Damon.
Well, I think that depends a little on how you set up the skill challenge. Follow the clues gets you to the specific bar, everything else that happened inside is left to freeform.

I don't know specifically how it played out last week but I'm envisioning the skill challenge framework as a method of setting up mini-encounters along the way so every we're looking for someone it isn't as quick as "roll gather info. You find out he's at this cantina".

It also allows the DM to have prepared certain clues. If you get stuck in looking for someone, you've got some other avenues already mapped out.

The DM doesn't have to tell the playes "Skill Challenge #1: Begin Now!". In fact if he doesn't, absolutly nothing changes from the player perspective. But the DM has a way to organize the information and provide options to the players and has a framework for rewarding them (with XP) for 'tracking down the traitor'.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm all for integrating them into our SWSE game where they make sense. I really liked the Skill Challenge concept.

Bob, you know just bringing this up makes you a 4E sinner and stains your soul for all eternity, though, right? :twisted:

I'm just saying...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

erilar wrote:I'm all for integrating them into our SWSE game where they make sense. I really liked the Skill Challenge concept.

Bob, you know just bringing this up makes you a 4E sinner and stains your soul for all eternity, though, right? :twisted:

I'm just saying...
Dude. I've been playing D&D since I was like, 8. My soul is already pretty stained.

It's more noticable now when I have a clean spot on it. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote: Dude. I've been playing D&D since I was like, 8. My soul is already pretty stained.
Bah! Don't listen to the moral majority. Sex, (OK well not drugs), rock & roll, comic books, video games, D&D - they are all good for you!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

[innocent voice]What about unrelenting urges to commit mass murder, sir? that's not too bad, is it?[/innocent]
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

EvilGenius wrote:[innocent voice]What about unrelenting urges to commit mass murder, sir? that's not too bad, is it?[/innocent]
What are you talking about? You don't work at T-mobile anymore!

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Lars Porsenna wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:[innocent voice]What about unrelenting urges to commit mass murder, sir? that's not too bad, is it?[/innocent]
What are you talking about? You don't work at T-mobile anymore!

Damon.
Heh. TMobile was not the beginning of the murderous urges .....