Flashback Soldiers

Our KOTOR campaign.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Heather is flying to Pittsburgh this weekend to see her dad, so child care is part of my Friday planning.

Since we're already doing a one-off, would you guys be OK with Zack playing one more soldier, or him playing my soldier character slot with my help? He's been pretty interested in the SW RPG, and I thought this might be a good opportunity for him to check it out. I don't want to cramp anyone's "adult time", so please be honest about your reaction. He is nearly 13 now though, so most of our humor isn't going to cause him major psychological damage anyway. :)

FYI, Heather's dad has a Grade 3 (of 4) glioma brain tumor, which is the reason for her extra visit. It is apparently a kind that grows all in with the brain tissue, so not an operable thing. They are going to treat it with chemo and radiation, and hope to shrink it. It's causing fairly severe weakness and numbness on his left side extremities, which is how it was diagnosed.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

No problems with Zack playing here... and I hope your FIL's treatment goes well.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Package upgrades (each character pick one):
Republic Combat Armor (replaces light armor)
Commando Special Rifle (replaces Blaster rifle)
Cory, what are these two items?

Is the RCA a Medium-weight version of the default Republic armor?
How is the CSR different from a blaster rifle?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I'm ok with Zack playing. Just means I can increase the encounter further :twisted:

BTW, I am planning to push the CR's a bit harder. Be prepared with alternate names for your characters... just in case. (If someone dies we won't roll new characters, we'll just have them "respawn" as another trooper)

These are both from the KotOR source book in the Republic chapter. To sum up:

Republic Combat Armor (Ref +6 / Fort +2 / Max Dex +2/ Spd 4)
Commando Special Rifle (same as rifle except 3d10 damage, only 25 rounds)
Last edited by Hardcorhobbs on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm fine with Zack being there. I think he'll do fine with Star Wars, and probably better than with D&D since things move faster.

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

republic light armor: +4 Ref, +1 Fort, +3 max dex - standard issue armor

republic combat armor: +6 Ref, +2 Fort, +2 max dex - step up in armor, similar to mandalorian neo-crusader armor. has internal comlink and low-light-vision capabilities.

Commando special rifle is a sawed-off rifle preferred for its light weight and stopping power. uses more energy, power packs only supply 25 shots vs normal rifles 50 shots, but the commando does 3d10 damage vs. the blaster rifles 3d8.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:BTW, I am planning to push the CR's a bit harder. Be prepared with alternate names for your characters... just in case. (If someone dies we won't roll new characters, we'll just have them "respawn" as another trooper)
Is it ok if I roll up a slightly different guy to use as my respawn? He'll still be a medic, but it would give me a chance to stat out some slightly different builds, or a different race or such.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

And, Lance, I'm totally cool with Zack joining us at the table. Should be fun. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jonkga wrote:Is it ok if I roll up a slightly different guy to use as my respawn? He'll still be a medic, but it would give me a chance to stat out some slightly different builds, or a different race or such.
Sure, but let me clarify further. I'm not *planning* to kill your characters during the session. However I am going to be pushing the challenge rating system. So there is a chance you will die. So yeah, you can make backup characters, but don't feel obligated to do so.

Although, if your that excited to try out different builds... :wink:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:republic light armor: +4 Ref, +1 Fort, +3 max dex - standard issue armor
My character is likely a single-class aristocrat, so he'll probably be taking this armor (and burning a feat to do so, as aristocrats don't get light armor proficiency).

That ok with you Cory?
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

NukeHavoc wrote:
Jonkga wrote:republic light armor: +4 Ref, +1 Fort, +3 max dex - standard issue armor
My character is likely a single-class aristocrat, so he'll probably be taking this armor (and burning a feat to do so, as aristocrats don't get light armor proficiency).

That ok with you Cory?
Yeah, thats the armor in the basic package.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Zack's character

Lau Fallin CL 4

Medium Cathar soldier 4
Init +7; Senses Perception +1
Languages Basic, Catharese

Defenses Ref 18 (flat-footed 15), Fort 18, Will 13
hp 54; Threshold 18

Speed 8 squares
Melee bayonet +5 (1d8+3) or
Melee bayonet +5 (1d8+4) with both hands
Ranged light repeating blaster +5 (3d8+2) with autofire or
Ranged light repeating blaster +8 (3d8+2) with braced autofire or
Ranged light repeating blaster +5 (5d8+2) with Burst Fire or
Ranged light repeating blaster +8 (5d8+2) with braced Burst Fire
Ranged frag grenade +9 (4d6+2, 2-square burst)
Base Atk +4; Grp +9
Atk Options autofire (light repeating blaster), Burst Fire, Devastating Attack (heavy), Dirty Fighting, Penetrating Attack (heavy), Point Blank Shot, reactive claw
Special Actions brace (light repeating blaster)

Abilities Str 13, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
Talents Devastating Attack, Penetrating Attack
Feats Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Burst Fire, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (rifles), Weapon Proficiency (heavy, pistols, rifles, simple)
Possessions bayonet, encrypted comlink, frag grenade, light repeating blaster, Republic light armor (+4 armor, +1 equipment), utility belt (3 day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser)

+1 to hit and damage at point blank range (<31 squares)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Lance's character:

Krazek Turen CL 4

Medium Zabrak soldier 4
Init +9; Senses darkvision, heightened awareness, low-light vision; Perception +2
Languages Basic, Zabrak

Defenses Ref 20 (flat-footed 18), Fort 23, Will 15
hp 64; Threshold 28

Speed 4 squares
Melee bayonet +4 (1d8+2)
Ranged blaster rifle +6 (3d8+2) or
Ranged blaster rifle +1 (3d8+2) with autofire or
Ranged frag grenade +6 (4d6+2, 2-square burst)
Base Atk +4; Grp +6
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle), Dirty Fighting, Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Harm's Way, Shake It Off, Tough as Nails

Abilities Str 11, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Talents Harm's Way, Tough as Nails
Feats Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Extra Second Wind, Improved Damage Threshold, Point Blank Shot, Shake it Off, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Endurance +11, Initiative +9, Perception +2 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse), Treat Injury +7
Possessions bayonet, blaster rifle, encrypted comlink, frag grenade, Republic combat armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment), targeting scope, utility belt (3 day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

lance, looks like you and Zack have come up with some pretty cool soldiers. Both Cathar and Zabrak are races I've been playing around with for alternate builds to my character. They look great.

I'm excited for tonight - I can't wait to game with all you guys again - it's been too long! :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Aargon Aan CL 4

Medium Gran noble 3/soldier 1
Force 7
Init +9; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +8
Languages Basic, Gran, 1 unassigned

Defenses Ref 19 (flat-footed 17), Fort 19, Will 17
hp 34; Threshold 19

Speed 4 squares
Melee by weapon +3
Ranged blaster rifle +5 (3d8+2) or
Ranged blaster rifle +0 (3d8+2) with autofire or
Ranged blaster rifle +0 (4d8+2) with Rapid Shot or
Ranged blaster pistol +5 (3d6+2) or
Ranged blaster pistol +0 (4d6+2) with Rapid Shot or
Ranged frag grenade +5 (4d6+2, 2-square burst)
Base Atk +3; Grp +5
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle), Careful Shot, Dirty Fighting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Special Actions Battle Analysis, Bolster Ally, Inspire Confidence

Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Special Qualities target awareness, triple vision
Talents Battle Analysis, Bolster Ally, Inspire Confidence
Feats Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Careful Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skill Focus (Knowledge [tactics]), Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Initiative +9, Knowledge (tactics) +13, Perception +8, Persuasion +9
Possessions blaster pistol, blaster rifle, 1000 credits, frag grenade, Republic combat armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment), utility belt (3 day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser), targeting scope

Worth noting:

* Target Awareness: Aargon takes no penalties on Perception checks because of distance (up to 50 squares).
* Triple Vision: Once per encounter, aim as a swift action
* Bonus Gran Feat: Precise shot if you have Point Blank Shot (which I do)

Regarding talents, I was torn between Inspire Confidence (+1 bonus to attacks and skill checks to those around Aargon) or Lead by Example (if you hit a target, others get +1 to attack, +1 damage die) but I decided Inspire Confidence is a more utilitarian talent, and comes in handy in more situations.

If you wonder why I have three talents, it's because I'm multiclassed; when you pick up a second class, you get to pick a talent from that class. Nifty. :)