Friday Morning Quarterbacking (10/21 edition)

The former Blackrazor addiction.
NukeHavoc

Friday Morning Quarterbacking (10/21 edition)

Post by NukeHavoc »

So what the heck went wrong last night? By the time I was ressurected, it was just me and Durric at the top of the platform, and the rest of you some where far, far below.

Did someone fall off?

All in all, I had a blast last night. I know things got a bit ... testy ... near the goblin room, but all-in-all, not a bad adventure (well, except for the disasterous failure at the end part).

Doing it again with voice (even if only some of us are able to do voice) would probably be a good idea. Heck, if Lance's bandwidth can handle it, I might even be able to bring my laptop to his place.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Here's what I can remember:

Danduin's aggro radius is pretty big for that dungeon. Jon and I had discussed whether or not to pull the next bunch of pirates down the ramp, or just fight them from the top.

There is a big, huge goblin boss on the deck of the ship across from that top platform, and we were worried that Danduin, or possibly Durric, might aggro them while we were fighting the trash mobs. We came to the conclusion that we'd be ok, but that wasn't the case.

As soon as we started fighting the pirates, I heard the goblin and his entourage shout alarm and saw them come running. The gobbo also brought with him any other mobs he ran across in the process. Things got very hairy very quickly.

It's impossible for me to keep aggro on >>5 mobs, and people started dying, Zil 1st I think. Danduin fell off the platform (or jumped to drag mobs away from us) and then died down on a small island in the water.

I went down to the island to kill the mob that was hovering over Bob's corpse, and Jon rezzed Bob. As I was making my way back up to the plank boardwalk, I got jumped by two elite mobs. I panicked, not expecting baddies, and I got wasted. Things went downhill quickly again.

Next time, we'll do better, since we all know what to expect. I was also taking a very slow pace, since I'm new to tanking so many elite mobs. Hopefully, if we wipe again, all the mobs wont have respawned.

---

As for the testiness, Bob and I talked about it later, and I apologized for being short. It's pretty tough tanking an instance - probably the hardest WoW role I've played so far. It's kind of your responsibility to keep everyone alive and safe, and it's a lot to manage. Stack that with the frustration of playing on a laptop keyboard that I was unfamiliar with, and hopped up on cold medicine = grouchy Lance.

In normal questing, dying is no big deal. In an instance though, as we saw, too many wipes and the adventure is over (if you don't have more hrs to spare). So, just trying to keep everyone alive. Really, a lvl 16 is a pretty big challenge in there due to the huge aggro radius, but I think we did *really* well.

Bob knows that instance very well, so nothing away form him about being bold - I was just worried about my ability to keep us from wiping if we got mobbed. Chat communication totally sucks, so that much worse...

Anyway, IMO in all we did awesome. That last accidantal boss aggro was probably not recoverable, no matter how well we played. Just too many elites.

My vote for both Rookie of the Year and MVP goes to Damon. Awesome off-tanking. Every time a mob got past me, he was on it instantly and had the aggro back off the squishies. Awesome job, Damon!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I remember rezzing, and being surprised that it was just me and Durric up on the platform. I tried first aiding him, but unfortunately he got toasted by the bad guy before I could heal him. Then I killed that guy, but by then the folks below were in a world of hurt.

It was very, very odd to be standing on the platform, all by myself, with the rest of the party dead.

Very much a Merwyn moment.

So for the teleport spell to work, you need to get special runes as components? Are those only available in Stormwind?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yeah. You're looking for a reagent vendor. Only a few spells need those - I know Druid rez spells do, and I think some higher-lvl 'Lock spells amongst others.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Yeah after the 1st battle I rezed Zil, and by that that time I had used my Lay-on-Hands ability AND my other healing ability so I was tapped in abilities. I ran around loking for Dand to rez him, but DNF...

Damon.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

As far as what I saw last night, Lance is pretty much correct. My aggro radius was pretty large and standing on the top platform I attracted the attention of the boss elites on the top deck.

Once they all came, they weren't actually attacking me, they were all on you guys. I was trying to use AoE spells, but they weren't super effective, which made it more difficult to concentrate firepower and take down a particular mob or boss. My bad, lesson learned. :)

Once the first two deaths occured, I started taking a bunch of hits. I was definitely drawing most of the aggro then. So I jumped off the level we were on and landed on the lower level, hoping the mobs would follow me and give everyone a respite. Durric and I think Quendarin were still alive at the time.

Once the Mobs got close, I jumped off the side down to the little rock next to the boat. The mobs had to run all the way to the off-ramp and then swim over to the island. I got silly then and tried to lob fireballs at the oncoming swimming mobs. Once they got to the island, they shanked me pretty quick, but then they just stood around me for about another minute.
erilar

Post by erilar »

EvilGenius wrote: My aggro radius was pretty large and standing on the top platform I attracted the attention of the boss elites on the top deck.
My bad, lesson learned. :)
It wasn't your fault. That same thing had happened to another Deadmines party I was in before. For some reason, I didn't think that it would happen again. (duh) :)