Borderlands

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
NukeHavoc

Re: Borderlands

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm Siren 9 right now. And yeah, I'm taking plenty of Advil. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

As of last night I'm almost level 16. I ended up playing with my friend Rocky last night and we were having a blast. He's level 19, so we were able to tackle the next boss mainly by him taking point and me keeping him healed. Very fun stuff. Found a bunch of great weapons including vampiric grenades which sap life from opponents and give it back to me. Also found a few great weapons, though the best were still too high level for me.

The coolest thing is I found out there are more mod's than we even knew about. I received a backpack mod that increased my inventory and a mod that further increased the damage my turret can do. There are also character mods you can find as Rocky is a Solder: "Heavy Gunner". Not sure exactly what it does but MAN do I love the customizable nature of this game! I just wish you could change the character models a bit more than just colors...
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sorry I couldn't join you guys. Combination of my family bogarting the TV and me getting too sleepy... :evil:

What are Rocky and Chris's GamerTags?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Rocky is LoboRock, Chris is crosen. Only Rocky has borderlands thus far. I'll be home around 11 if anyone wants to play this morning.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

By the way... I do have a level 10 hunter sitting around. So if I get too high level with my solder I can just run the hunter with you guys.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I think I know why Xbox has been so screwed up lately; when I was trying to get my wireless router to work with my Airport Expresses to extend the network, I blew away all my custom settings. It was those settings (like having UPnP active) that allowed my Xbox to play well with others.

Now I just have to remember how I had things setp before...
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

And in other networking news, I spent the day running CAT5 cable down to the living room. So, I should have a really strong connection from now on. If the jacks and plugs I terminated the cable with work, that is... Off to try plugging in the 360!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Yay - it worked first try!! So if any of you guys need one of those crimpy tools that puts the ends on CAT5 cable, I have one...

I'd also feel so much more triumphant about this project if I hadn't put my foot through the hallway ceiling while I was bumbling around the attic. [sigh] :roll:
erilar

Post by erilar »

I will be spending the bulk of my evening tonight exploring Pandora - I asked the family this morning to kindly reserve the living room for me tonight. After hours of ripping off and replacing paneling, sawing and re-screwing drywall, drilling holes into mystery spaces, crawling and pulling cable through dusty and fiberglassy nooks, and fumbling teeny little wires into fiddly little jacks - I need a serious break!

Heth and Zack were busy all day yesterday, so I figured I'd pull that cable in a couple hours and then get some Xbox time in. I was sooo deluded re. project length. (And I haven't even fixed the hallway ceiling yet...) :lol:

Also, Jon - we need to make a date to play some XBLA Magic (or other game of your choice). Lemme know!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hopefully I'll be able to get online as well. I setup a static IP for the Xbox and threw it into the DMZ, so with any luck I'll have better connectivity. Not a perfect solution, but hopefully it'll hold for now. I'm also going to call RCN and see if I can get a cable modem made after 2002 that might actually, you know, work with Xbox 360.

Ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I might be able to join you for a bit tonight... Monday's are normally a TV/DS night for me; but I can play until Big Bang comes on (9:30).
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I can play until Big Bang comes on (9:30).
We just started watching this show. I vacillate between thinking it's hilarious and thinking it's insulting. I've known a lot of nerds, and no one is THAT nerdy. I mean, sure - nerds dress poorly - but no one dresses as ridiculously as the skinny roommate guy - etc., etc..

Guess it just strikes a nerve. I'm sure gay guys are annoyed at the way the token gay guy on every sitcom is portrayed. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:We just started watching this show. I vacillate between thinking it's hilarious and thinking it's insulting. I've known a lot of nerds, and no one is THAT nerdy. I mean, sure - nerds dress poorly - but no one dresses as ridiculously as the skinny roommate guy - etc., etc..

Guess it just strikes a nerve. I'm sure gay guys are annoyed at the way the token gay guy on every sitcom is portrayed. :)
Ignore it and embrace the love. No seriously, after a while I think you'll come to see that there are a ton of jokes you will ONLY get if you are a nerd. So while it may seem insulting atm, you should come to love it :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I agree with Cory, here. The characters are not supposed to represent us as geeks - they are in varying advanced stages of nerd-dom on purpose, not to be representative. However, the focus of major storylines about the geek topics we know and love, from science to games to well, the gamut of geeky pursuits, well, that's the appeal to me. They amp up the characters' nerdiness for the broad laughs, sure, but that doesn't make it any less fun for me.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

FYI - I think I have my router issues figured out. I was able to get in four games of Halo 3 matchmaking last night without dropping (which is huge; typically I can only get through a single game, if that). Disabling the router firewall is what did the trick (though I made sure to double check that the individual computers on the network have their shields raised).

My Siren is currently 13th level BTW.