The Mandalorian Interlude

Our KOTOR campaign.
NukeHavoc

The Mandalorian Interlude

Post by NukeHavoc »

We've got one more major story arc in the current timeline, and then we're jumping to the Mandalorian interlude, in which we'll play Mandalorian warriors at the beginning of the Mandalorian invasion of the Republic.

Our current thinking (as of last night) was to run the Mandos characters at 8th level (probably playing them from 8th to 9th, maybe longer if folks are really into the campaign). This gives everyone the chance to pick up a prestige class (if they want it).

I suggest a 28 point buy (they're Mandalorians after all; I think they should be a cut above your ordinary heroes, at least for this mini-campaign).

As far as restrictions go, I personally want to exclude all Jedi and Force users. We don't see their like among the Mandalorians, and I for one am excited to see how the game runs without Jedi around. :) I could possibly see a Force sensitive (no powers, just able to use the Use the Force skill) as more of a hunch, and less of a mystical insight.

What do you think? What kind of character do you want to play? I'm interested in either a noble/officer, soldier/scout or a soldier.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Re: The Mandalorian Interlude

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I'm thinking of a Soldier/scout or scoundrel/soldier myself...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Ken, I'm playing a soldier right now in the regular campaign. My plan for this interlude was to *not* play a soldier, and instead play a force-using class. I haven't fully detailed a character for this yet, but I was thinking some sort of self-taught force user. Non-lightsaber wielding, but fully versed with an array of force powers. I don't know much about the Mandalorians other than the Fetts were of their ilk (never read *any* star wars stuff other than seeing the movies), so I didn't know that the force was verboten to them.

What do you think?
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I guess part of the problem here is that there is no base force-using class that isn't a Jedi. So, technically, I'd have to play a Jedi from the mechanics standpoint, but from the story standpoint he definitely would not be a Jedi. I was just thinking playing a force-user would allow me to play a different character from my regular campaign character.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

OK, looking at the rules again, obviously I don't have to play a Jedi character (ignore my previous post). I can of course take a regular class, with the Force Sensitivity and Force Training feats, and then build up one of the Force talent trees. And, for this character, that is of course where I'd see the build going.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

The Mandalorians are a warrior culture known for their use of technology in warfare and their code of honor; Wookipedia has a good write-up on them: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian

They aren't Force-users, though they have fought alongside Force users in the form of the Sith and the Krath. Personally I think a Mandalorian would likely look upon the Force as well, cheating. :)

That said, they actively seek out a war with the Republic in the hopes of prompting a response from the Jedi, whom they view as a worthwhile challenge. And they did fight along side the Sith and the Krath, so it's not so much that they are opposed to Force users as they as a culture don't rely on the Force. It's just not their thing.

What does the rest of the group think? At the very least, I'd only want one Force user in the group, as I'd really like to play up the Mandalorian feel of the mini-campaign.

Ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I don't have any specific objections, and there is prescedent: in the LotF era (right after NJO) a Clone Wars era Jedi hid out amongst the Mandos for around 50 years or so.

I really think it depends on how Jon plays The Force. I think overt abilities like Move Object would be a bit OOC for a Mando that has picked up a few tricks; but something like Force Stun I think would be IC. Also there are a few powers that give prescience and other non-overt abilities.

Damon.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

To make sure I'm getting your abbreviations:

OOC: Out of Context
IC: In Context

That right?
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I read his abbreviations as Out Of Character and In Character, but I think that comes to the same understanding of his comment.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Lars Porsenna wrote:I don't have any specific objections, and there is prescedent: in the LotF era (right after NJO) a Clone Wars era Jedi hid out amongst the Mandos for around 50 years or so.
In my opinion, there's a difference between a Force user hanging out with the Mandos, and a Force-using Mando. I prefer the former to the latter.

I also think it depends on how we approach the Mando campaign. One of the things we'd talked about before was examining the central conflict of Mandalorian society: traditional Mandalorian culture (clan, based, rugged individualist, do-it-yourselfer-from-hell) versus the neo-Crusader culture (militant, conformist, bent on galactic domination).

The traditional Mandalorians allied with the Sith and Krath in the Great Sith War fifteen years ago because their leader was defeated in single combat by one of the Sith Lords. They are ultimately defeated by the Republic, and this defeat causes a rift within their society between those who believe they should stay true to their original warrior code, and the neo-crusaders, who think that their biggest mistake was in allying themselves with the Sith, and that they should try and conquer the galaxy themselves. These neo-Crusaders also believe in fighting a true war effort - Mandalorians traditionally never tried to conquer and hold territories. In the new era, they do so and use said worlds to fuel their war effort. Not only do they use them to produce material (weapons, ships, etc.) but they also conscript soldiers into their army, attempting to indoctrinate them into the Mandalorian way.

For old school Mandalorians, much of this feels wrong, and yet, there's no arguing with its success. So the question becomes... what do you do? Stay true to yourself and your culture, or adapt/evolve that culture to be successful?

Unsurprisingly, I personally like the individualist, old-school Mandalorians. :) Given that Jon doesn't know a lot about the Mandalorians, having him play an outsider, perhaps one who joins up with our hodgepodge group of traditionalist Mandalorians, could work out well. So could having a neo-Crusader or two in our ranks (just to stir in some intra-party tension. :))
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, this all sounds a little weird to me. The purpose of this interlude is what: to play the bad guys of this conflict for a brief change of pace before we get back to the good guys? I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why we'd want to play Mandalorians as characters.

Edit: again, not trying to be a dick, just not really sure of things here. I get that Boba Fett was bad-ass, but from what I've read in the KOTOR book, I'm not sure I really like the Mandalorians much. But, I've never been one to be part of the invading army. ;)

And, as for my character, I guess after reading more, I don't know that I'd want to play him as an outsider. I was thinking simply of a Mandalorian with force powers. If that won't work, I guess maybe I don't really get this piece, as I've already scratched my soldier itch in the regular part of the campaign.
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Personally, I'm going to be playing a traditionalist Mando that has been caught up in things. I look at the factions this way: traditionalists are like Libertarians with a deep warrior culture, whereas the Neo-crusaders are more like Nazis, or at least that's my impression.

I would also say playing a Mando does not make you "evil." You can easiily play a "dirty Harry" type character if you want (though perhaps less so if you're a Neo-crusader)...

Damon
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Lars Porsenna wrote:
I would also say playing a Mando does not make you "evil." You can easiily play a "dirty Harry" type character if you want (though perhaps less so if you're a Neo-crusader)...

Damon
I don't know, a culture based upon taking over other planets to get resources/more warriors sounds pretty evil to me.

Not sure I get what you mean by the "Dirty Harry" reference.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Nothing I see in the KOTOR book description of the Mandalorians seems to preclude force-using. No, none of the sample characters are force sensitive, and yes, they seem to basically do without it (there is that line about beings having powers they don't understand). However, if they are all about the battle, how would a force using soldier who focuses on force grip, force slam, force stun, etc., not fit into wading into the thick of thinks and blasting the heretical non-mandalorians with the force?

Again, just a question. I obviously don't know what any of this even means. ;)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

The traditionalist Mando culture does not specifically advocate conquest; that's the Neo-crusaders. Traditionalist Mandos have an individualist-warrior culture that emphasises self-reliance (with guns).

Re: dirty harry. I'm referring to the Clint Eastwood movies of the '70s....

Damon.