Batman: Arkham Asylum

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
EvilGenius

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Post by EvilGenius »

I picked this up today and it is just awesome!! I strongly recommend it!! :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
EvilGenius

Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm going to say this again because it bears repeating: Arkham is friggin cool!!!

And one aspect that I especially love is that they've got Mark Hamil voicing the Joker and Kevin Conroy voicing Batman. They voiced Joker and Bats in the yet-to-be-topped Batman:The Animated Series. I think Harley's voice is the same, too. So that's very cool. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I've pitched reviewing this game, so I may be playing it soon. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Bob, how's your impression changed after playing it for a few more days (if any)?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I'm still loving the game. The graphics are REALLY good. The art style, visuals and game movement reminds me of BioShock. The voice acting is top notch. So far there are a lot of voice actors from Batman: The Animated Series. The story is cool and of course, Batman is just awesome.

There are a ton of details for the comics fans, too. In one section there's a blackboard showing nightshift schedules for Arkham docs. Tommy Elliot (Hush) is one of the docs. The patients are all from Batman's Rogue's Gallery BUT the schedule shows their real names. So there's a doctor assigned to Jervis Tech, Waylon Jones, etc. There are security systems installed by WayneTech, approved by Lucius Fox. Batman consults with Oracle. It's all Very Cool.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Wow - a 92 on Metacritic. Looks like Rocksteady hit this one out of the park. It's about time that Bats (and comic books in general) finally got a grade-A treatment.

Let's hope that the sales are retardedly high, and that it spurs publishers to spend some real scratch on more A-list heroes. Like a Spider-Man game that's actually good, frex... :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

The X-men Legends/Ultimate Alliance series has been pretty good. In fact, MUA2 comes out this month.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:The X-men Legends/Ultimate Alliance series has been pretty good. In fact, MUA2 comes out this month.
Really? The last Marvel Ultimate Alliance totally sucked...
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Wow - a 92 on Metacritic. Looks like Rocksteady hit this one out of the park. It's about time that Bats (and comic books in general) finally got a grade-A treatment.

Let's hope that the sales are retardedly high, and that it spurs publishers to spend some real scratch on more A-list heroes. Like a Spider-Man game that's actually good, frex... :)
Yeah, every single review I've listened to or read has been incredibly impressed with the game.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jonkga wrote:Really? The last Marvel Ultimate Alliance totally sucked...
... Well I liked it.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:
Jonkga wrote:Really? The last Marvel Ultimate Alliance totally sucked...
... Well I liked it.
I guess it really dissappointed me, especially because it didn't have some of the same features that previous games had, so it really just felt like a by-the-numbers button-masher.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote: I guess it really dissappointed me, especially because it didn't have some of the same features that previous games had, so it really just felt like a by-the-numbers button-masher.
I'm in Jon's camp on this one. MUA felt like there was little strategy, even to what powers you used, and very button-mashy. In addition the screen got super cluttered to the point where Zack and I would lose our characters in the scrum. There were just so many particle effects going off at once is was like trying to have a boxing match inside a fireworks display. :)

But always, to each their own. Hoping MUA2 fixes these things and still works for everyone, because we obviously like the property.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Played a couple hours of Batman: Arkham Asylum on the PS3 at Deb's brother Chris's house tonight - amazing game! They really nailed Batman in this one - plays like an interactive graphic novel - like you're the real Batman in the real Batman universe. And, really cool game play. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And, for the record, Scarecrow is awesome!
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I got this game for Christmas, so now I get to really play through it. I'm absolutely loving it so far - no wonder Rocksteady got props at the VGA's.
erilar

Post by erilar »

This will prob be my next purchase - really looking forward to it.

I've gotten into Assassin's Creed a bit lately, but if I'm going to play a sneaky guy beating people up, I think I'd rather I was Batman!!