Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed.

A place for members of the public to meet, talk and pass out.
NukeHavoc

Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed.

Post by NukeHavoc »

When I ordered my copy of the DMG 2 from Amazon, I saw they also had the second edition of Mutants & Masterminds (a d20 superheroes game) and I decided to pick that up as well. I'm heard lots of good things about this game, and I'm interested to see how its classless/hitpointless system works.

Should be here within the next week or so. :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Excellent. As you said, it's a game I've heard good things about, and always wanted to check out more. I'll be interested to take a look at it and hear what you think of it upon your perusal of it.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Dibs on the Brown Hornet!!!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Dibs on Wolvie...

I actually think this would've made a great alt-campaign....

Damon.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Lars Porsenna wrote:Dibs on Wolvie...

I actually think this would've made a great alt-campaign....

Damon.
it would have been. But then you had to go and mention "W". :P
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hmmm. Well, turns out that Amazon won't be shipping that particular book for 3-5 weeks, so it's going to be a while.

I'm surprised there's so much interest, but then again, I guess given the number of comic book fans among us, it's to be expected. :) If we did run a one or two shot (I think there are some adventure modules out there I could pick up) I'd want folks to run original characters, perhaps patterned after iconic ones, but still original.

Ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Is there a random mutant power table? I'm all about letting fate decide my powers. Static electricity control, here I come!!!

:wink:
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:Is there a random mutant power table? I'm all about letting fate decide my powers. Static electricity control, here I come!!! :wink:
I'm not sure. I never read the first edition. They've got a bunch of teaser stuff up on the site, including the "Character Creation" chapter, so it might be in there.

Ken
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

They give you the chapter one in pdf. I parused it and it seems quite nice. I do not think there are random mutant powers the way the system is build (it wouldnt really work), but still seems like a cool system. Reminds me of BESM, but at this short glance looks like it eliminated the power-gaming problems. Definitly intrested in checking it out!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

heh. I just skimmed through the character creation rules. I'd love to see how Bob would use this to min/max the perfect superhero. :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:at this short glance looks like it eliminated the power-gaming problems.
Eliminated .....

Power-gaming ....

problems .......

I understand all of those words individually, but altogether they're just nonsensical mush. :? :?:
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

ok how about:

eliminated the BLATENT power-gaming problems with BESM.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Something that I think is cool about this game is that everyone starts at 10th level, so you've got plenty of points with which to buy feats, skills, etc.

Yep, you buy all that stuff. So if you want to have someone who's a huge brawler, but not much on the books, you'd simply buy up his base attack bonus, and skimp on the rest.

Pretty cool IMHO. And I think just about everyone in the campaign could get into playing this, with the possible exception of Nate.
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

I'd give a superheroes game a try... I often considered buying the Marvel Superheroes game as a kid, but never got around to it.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

:) See, I disagree that power gaming is a "problem".

In my experience (27 yrs of gaming), power gaming only becomes a problem when you also abandon roleplaying.

For example, my dwarven fighter Luc is constructed with a powergaming attitude, but I also added roleplaying aspects on top of that. Most of my characters are like that (except Prug, strangely enough). So many of my characters are tough, maybe bordering on broken, but they still work within a game because they're more than just uber combat stats.

"Powergaming", IMO, is a perfectly valid style of play and is even necessary in many circumstances. No one like getting their butt whooped in every single fight (except damon). And even 1 "powergamed" character can help save the rest of the "roleplaying" party when things get hairy.

It's all in the roleplaying. Combat stats are just that. They can be weak or strong, but it still all comes down to the roleplaying.
Hardcorhobbs wrote:ok how about:

eliminated the BLATENT power-gaming problems with BESM.