Dragon Age Origins

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
EvilGenius

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Post by EvilGenius »

Cool, Jon!

I stopped by my local BestBuy tonight to pick up a copy for the PC. But they only had it for the 360. :( So I'm ordering online tonight. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

I thought about getting back into PC games as well. While the xbox is nice for a console game, I'm constantly dissappointed with the interface. I definitely cannot see myself playing a Total War style game on the xbox, and I think I'll look for HALO wars om PC as well...

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

If anyone else is interested in the 360 version, let me know. I have an extra review copy of the game.

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Awesome Jon! You and Bob can join us as we compare stories. Let us know what you guys roll up.

As for PC vs Console debate... I'm just not interested in continually upgrading my computer to play games on it. My laptop and 360 are about the same age and I can't play Dragon Age on the Laptop. I am absolutely fine with the limitations of the console interface over the PC if it means I don't have to root around in my system once a year. Besides, I'm really enjoying the Console version of Dragon Age It's got it's own quirks... but at least I'm not stuck in an alternate dimension with invisible walls. :P
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Well, I put in the game last night, and ended up playing til about 3am. :)

I rolled up an elven mage, and went through the entire background story, and got out to the first town. Some combat, and the spell selection is very deep, but really lots of moral quandries and ethical dilemmas - very cool gameplay. So far, I'm enjoying it heartily.

This morning I logged on and created a Dwarven Commoner warrior, and only just began his questing.

I'm pretty sure I might try out most if not all of the origins first, to see what I really want to play as my first "real" character through the entire story. Man, so many options, and so much good content already even. :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Oh, and I'm not really bothered by the graphics - sure, it's not as amazing as the trailers for FFXIII, but then, it seems to fit the story and setting just fine, and so far hasn't done anything to take me out of the immersive experience at all.
erilar

Post by erilar »

Jonkga wrote:Oh, and I'm not really bothered by the graphics - sure, it's not as amazing as the trailers for FFXIII, but then, it seems to fit the story and setting just fine, and so far hasn't done anything to take me out of the immersive experience at all.
I'm definitely not bothered by them. My comment was intended to be "DA:O would have been even more awesome if the textures were 2009-sharp". As is, it's a very enjoyable game.

I think your research into which background you ultimately want to play is a good idea. The game is so long that playing several chars is improbable if you actually intend to finish. :D

I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse with my archer, but we'll see how it plays out. I think that, due to the interface, a melee character might be the most satisfying. Also, as a ranged character I feel a little like I did in WoW - I don't get to see much of the combat action because I'm yards and yards away.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I was going to play through some of the origins before playing through the game... but I got hooked and kept playing. At this point I'd like to finish my playthrough before playing the other origins. Otherwise it may take 2 years for me to beat the game ;)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, I've played 5 of the 6 backgrounds so far - and I gotta say, choosing is going to be hard.

I played as a Magi (an elf), a Dwarven Commoner, a City Elf, a Human Noble, and a Dwarven Noble so far. All I have left is a Dalish elf.

Not only was each one awesome, but I could see how I could even play the same origins over and over and never play them the same way. So cool.

I love the magic system, and will most likely run a mage, but I was also loving the dual-weilding rogue I made (twice, once as a dwarf and once as a human), and that will almost assuredly happen as well.

All the choice you have for skills, talents, ability points, equipment, and spells is a bit overwhelming also - it may take me a could playthroughs to figure out the builds I like best, so that I can go back and play through with those builds.

And, I love how some of the origins paly off of each other - most notably the Dwarven ones - there is some story overlap between the Commoner and Noble plots - no spoilers, so nuff said for now.

Very awesome game so far - and really I'm just beginning. :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

I rerolled last night as a City Elf rogue. I was a little bored with the game's implementation of archery, and I couldn't see all the cool stuff going on in the melee scrum since I was at a distance. My damage output also seemed very lame.

So, dual-wielding rogue it is. I am doing LOTS more damage (completely wrecking baddies, truth be told), and my party is getting through combats much more easily (vs struggling). We just finished the Kokari Wilds area.

The City Elf origin was stirring and very well written (and I hope it didn't freak you out too much, Jon). Without spoiling, it sets you up to potentially HATE the human nobility. The story really sucked me in, and I literally looked up at the clock and went "holy shit - it's 2am!!" last night. :lol: The Dalish Elf origin story was much less interesting and a bit contrived.

I'm enjoying this race and char more than Erilar the Dalish Elf, mostly I think because I'm not trying to impose my vision of Erilar and how he should play on this game. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the game now that I'm more comfortable with my choice.

I highly recommend setting the left trigger to toggle the radial menu vs. the default (holding the trigger in to keep the menu up). I'm now able to pause, give commands to each char to set up the fight, and then let 'em rip. Much more like KotOR than Mass Effect was.

I've also started experimenting with the Combat Tactics window for my party members. Settings like telling Alastair to attack any enemy that attacks me is giving me a lot of freedom in combat. He whomps them, gets their attention, and then I can run around and backstab the crap out of them. Hurlocks do NOT fare well with me and Al doing the flank dance. He'll Shield Bash them and knock them down, and about the time they can stand, I nail them with Dirty Fighting and throw sand in their eyes. :D
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:I rerolled last night as a City Elf rogue. I was a little bored with the game's implementation of archery, and I couldn't see all the cool stuff going on in the melee scrum since I was at a distance. My damage output also seemed very lame.

So, dual-wielding rogue it is. I am doing LOTS more damage (completely wrecking baddies, truth be told), and my party is getting through combats much more easily (vs struggling). We just finished the Kokari Wilds area.

The City Elf origin was stirring and very well written (and I hope it didn't freak you out too much, Jon). Without spoiling, it sets you up to potentially HATE the human nobility. The story really sucked me in, and I literally looked up at the clock and went "holy shit - it's 2am!!" last night. :lol: The Dalish Elf origin story was much less interesting and a bit contrived.

I'm enjoying this race and char more than Erilar the Dalish Elf, mostly I think because I'm not trying to impose my vision of Erilar and how he should play on this game. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the game now that I'm more comfortable with my choice.

I highly recommend setting the left trigger to toggle the radial menu vs. the default (holding the trigger in to keep the menu up). I'm now able to pause, give commands to each char to set up the fight, and then let 'em rip. Much more like KotOR than Mass Effect was.

I've also started experimenting with the Combat Tactics window for my party members. Settings like telling Alastair to attack any enemy that attacks me is giving me a lot of freedom in combat. He whomps them, gets their attention, and then I can run around and backstab the crap out of them. Hurlocks do NOT fare well with me and Al doing the flank dance. He'll Shield Bash them and knock them down, and about the time they can stand, I nail them with Dirty Fighting and throw sand in their eyes. :D
I concur on all counts here. :)

Yes, I was unsure if I really wanted to do the City Elf origins after reading a bit about it, but it was well written, and I got to slay lots of guys ot sate some of my horror.

I also really like the dual-weilding rogue combat - very much fun.

I also benefitted from having read all your posts about the interface, etc., as I've been using the LT toggle method from the get-go.

And, yes, setting up your guys with custom combat tactics is really the way to control the battle. It worked well for me both as a caster and as a melee combatant.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I finally got to past the big opening fight, and just arrived at the first village, and I'm starting to really dig it. I have to say that at least for the mage, the opening scenes felt a little like busy work. Not bad, but I wanted to get into the guts of the adventure immediately and instead I had to wait to get through my origin, plus the big fight.

In any case, now that I'm into it, I'm enjoying it a lot. I like the combat system, and honestly, I have little desire to play this on a PC. I'm tired of keyboard shortcuts and the like; sitting on my couch and accessing all of the submenus from the popup menu is fine for me.

I'm looking forward to getting in some more Dragon Age this weekend.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I finished all the origins last night. Some are better than others, but ultimately I really liked all the stories. I've re-rolled a human mage to begin my first real playthrough, but I'm sure I'll go again as a dual-wielding rogue as well.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I have now completed the Elven quests, the mage quests, the stronghold DLC, and the golem DLC. I doubt I'll play tonight... but if I do I'll likely head to Redcliffe. My dual wielding warrior just got whirlwind, which is an awesome power! I also unlocked my second specialty. You do indeed have to find someone willing to train you. Can't wait to play more!
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: I have to say that at least for the mage, the opening scenes felt a little like busy work.
So you're a human mage? (Are all mages human in this setting?)

Hardcorhobbs wrote:My dual wielding warrior just got whirlwind, which is an awesome power!
What exactly does Whirlwind do? I'm not too far from that one either.

Which skills are you guys focusing on? I'm interested in any feedback on Traps and Poisons. (My rogue just picked up the second tier of Poisons, but I don't have the distillation juice for my 2nd tier recipes yet.) Lockpicking seems to be a good choice for rogues. Has anyone done pickpocketing? What happens when you get caught?

Spoilers beyond if you haven't completed your origin story!

I also played more last night. My city elf rogue just arrived in the first town (just after Morrigan joins the party - starts with an "L").

I continue to be shocked at how much more effective my party is now. On my first run through, we barely pulled off killing the ogre at the top of the signal tower - I think I was the last one alive. This time, we killed him in like 8 seconds - it didn't even seem like a setpiece battle. The first time, I thought we were toast! :D
Last edited by erilar on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.