Dragon Age Origins

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
Hardcorhobbs

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

I agree, the visuals definitely look like a step back from Mass Effect. As for being hooked... I totally am. I set out thinking my initial character was just to try things out. Then I spent the whole night playing as her. There was definitely a point last night where things just got awesome and I couldn't wait to play more. Speaking of... is it time to go home yet?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So I ran into a snag yesterday, as I started dieing over and over. I have two theories as to why. Either A) I haven't been playing tactically enough and it's starting to show, or more likely B) because I wasn't originally planning to keep this character I let the game auto level my allies. I think this was a huge mistake as my mage has no AoE spells. I think a single AoE spell could get me out of my current pickle... Without them it's really tough. I've read in several of the reviews that mages are the most powerful class in the game. I'm starting to realize it. I have a few more tricks to try tonight.... but I may just end up starting a new character.

But... you have to experience all the origins to get all the achievements anyway ;)
erilar

Post by erilar »

So where is the switch to say "please don't auto-level my party mates"? I'm very much hoping to get some play time in tonight.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:So where is the switch to say "please don't auto-level my party mates"? I'm very much hoping to get some play time in tonight.
Actually, it works the other way. When you get into the leveling screen it prompts you to level up as though it were your own character. You have to actively hit the Yellow button to auto level. It even prompts you "do you want to keep these changes". I normally wouldn't use it, but like I said in the beginning I didn't intend to keep this character. So when I did I just kept auto leveling. I shouldn't have auto leveled simply because then I'd know what abilities my allies have...

It's ok though... I'm going to re-roll as a Templar tonight... or at least thats how I'm going to roleplay it ;)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: It's ok though... I'm going to re-roll as a Templar tonight... or at least thats how I'm going to roleplay it ;)
Templar is one of the Warrior specializations, so be sure to pick that class to max out your theme. If so though, how can you justify any mages in your party?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:Templar is one of the Warrior specializations, so be sure to pick that class to max out your theme. If so though, how can you justify any mages in your party?
It would be fine as long as the mage is sanctioned by the Circle of Magi. It's the Templar's duty to watch over the mages, only killing those that turn like the Blood Mages *coughDamoncough* and abominations.

However, I was thinking and the sucker for achievements in me says I should play another origin. I might go with a Dwarven bard like my character in George's campaign. An heir to the Dusthammer throne.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

My review copy apparently shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'l be staring my own quest soon. :)

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Wow, yeah I was REALLY unfocused the first time through. Combats have gone much better for me this time through. I'm about at the half-way point to where I was and already a higher level, plus I have better gear. Apparently I didn't do enough exploring the first time through either...

Oh I ended up with the Female Human Noble with aspirations to be a templar. I've already seen slight variations in the game as I've chose some different text choices. I tried the Dwarven Noble... but it didn't really look like the story I was hoping for (not bad... just different from what I would expect). I'll check out the dwarves eventually, but for now I just created a version of my original character.
erilar

Post by erilar »

I'm a Dalish elf rogue, progressing along the archery path towards the Ranger specialization. I'm still not sold on DA:O's archery mechanic, but I'm going to stick with it for a while. I think part of the problem is that my party has been small up to this point, and enemies can easily slip past the melee fighters and get in my face. My sword-swinging buddies also seem to be doing a lot more damage than me. I just lucked out and bought a Level 4 longbow at the fortress vendor, so we'll see if that helps.

Does anyone know the max adventuring companions you can have in your active party? I'm trying to determine if I should take the lockpicking talent (Deft Hands) myself, or wait until another rogue joins the party. I keep running into chests I can't unlock, and that's annoying. I've been trying to keep Erilar a pure archer (i.e. a non-thief combat rogue), but I think fights might go better if I don't have to keep another rogue in the party in lieu of another armored fighter? A melee rogue might work well though?

Also, is there a "pause the action" button?? Or is that basically the left trigger menu? In the video reviews I've watched, people playing the PC version were clearly pausing the action just like you could in KotOR. I think they may have removed that function from the console versions to make them more "actiony". I liked the way KotOR froze the action when a new combat started, and you could give all your characters their commands before proceeding.

I would highly recommend that people take some points in the Coercion skill. In Bioware games, typically only your main character affects the conversational options, so it's pretty important to increase their personal skills. Coercion opens both "Persuasion" threads (based on your Cunning attribute and Coercion rank), and "Intimidation" threads (based on Strength attribute and Coersion rank). I just took a rank in Coercion at the end of my session last night, and I'm already getting noticeably more dialogue options.

Progression-wise (spoiler free), I just finished the Kokori Wilds area last night and returned to the fortress to take my "big test". Next, the big battle.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Also, is there a "pause the action" button?? Or is that basically the left trigger menu? In the video reviews I've watched, people playing the PC version were clearly pausing the action just like you could in KotOR. I think they may have removed that function from the console versions to make them more "actiony". I liked the way KotOR froze the action when a new combat started, and you could give all your characters their commands before proceeding.
According to IGN's 360 review, yes:
You can still pause the game and issue commands, but you'll need to keep the left trigger held down to do so, which gets old quickly while trying to micromanage battles. For the most part, the radial menu works well, but there are a limited number of quick command slots. Programming battle preferences is useful, but every now and then the character will disregard your commands and utilize basic actions instead of skills or abilities. Furthermore, even with preferences set up, characters frequently act on their own idiotic accord -- running blindly into traps that they should clearly be able to see and disarm. Combine this with your party's poor path finding skills, and you'll clearly want direct control over everyone.
From your post though, I'm guessing that this isn't what you were looking for.
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

NukeHavoc wrote: From your post though, I'm guessing that this isn't what you were looking for.
I did know I could pause that way, but I was also getting annoyed at holding down the trigger while inputting other commands. I was hoping there was a button that meant "toggle into pause mode". Now that I think about it, maybe in the option screen you can change the L-trigger behavior to "toggle-into-menu-mode" instead of "hold-for-menu"?
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:I'm a Dalish elf rogue, progressing along the archery path towards the Ranger specialization. I'm still not sold on DA:O's archery mechanic, but I'm going to stick with it for a while. I think part of the problem is that my party has been small up to this point, and enemies can easily slip past the melee fighters and get in my face. My sword-swinging buddies also seem to be doing a lot more damage than me. I just lucked out and bought a Level 4 longbow at the fortress vendor, so we'll see if that helps.
They will for a bit. But once you get a few archer talents and some magic arrows you should start seeing your damage catching up.
erilar wrote:Does anyone know the max adventuring companions you can have in your active party? I'm trying to determine if I should take the lockpicking talent (Deft Hands) myself, or wait until another rogue joins the party. I keep running into chests I can't unlock, and that's annoying. I've been trying to keep Erilar a pure archer (i.e. a non-thief combat rogue), but I think fights might go better if I don't have to keep another rogue in the party in lieu of another armored fighter? A melee rogue might work well though?
You can have 3 allies at any time. As your a rogue I suggest taking lockpicking. You'll want a mage (or two), and a meat-shield (or two). IMHO there's really only room in your party for one other rogue.
erilar wrote:Also, is there a "pause the action" button?? Or is that basically the left trigger menu? In the video reviews I've watched, people playing the PC version were clearly pausing the action just like you could in KotOR. I think they may have removed that function from the console versions to make them more "actiony". I liked the way KotOR froze the action when a new combat started, and you could give all your characters their commands before proceeding.
If you go into the options screen you can set it so the left trigger is the pause button at a click instead of holding it. Then a second click will un-pause.
erilar wrote:I would highly recommend that people take some points in the Coercion skill. In Bioware games, typically only your main character affects the conversational options, so it's pretty important to increase their personal skills. Coercion opens both "Persuasion" threads (based on your Cunning attribute and Coercion rank), and "Intimidation" threads (based on Strength attribute and Coersion rank). I just took a rank in Coercion at the end of my session last night, and I'm already getting noticeably more dialogue options.
I have two ranks in it at level 4 :P
erilar wrote:Progression-wise (spoiler free), I just finished the Kokori Wilds area last night and returned to the fortress to take my "big test". Next, the big battle.
Yeah... I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say the party stuff will start to make more sense very soon.
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

FYI, take random encounters on the road seriously. I've been wiped out three times thus far just trying to travel elsewhere. Two of those times I didn't save before traveling and had to do some adventure parts over again.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Have I mentioned that Deb is an amazing girlfriend? If not, she most definitely is: she just surprised me with a copy of Dragon Age: Origins!

I now know what I'll be doing tonight! Woo Hoo :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
erilar

Post by erilar »

Nice! :D