The Hunt for the Obsidian Phoenix

Our KOTOR campaign.
NukeHavoc

The Hunt for the Obsidian Phoenix

Post by NukeHavoc »

This information reflects data that the party has been able to glean from their information gathering.

Q: Where have the Obsidian Phoenix attacks occurred?

A: There are ten attacks that occurred in triangle of space between Taris and Dantooine and Ord Mantell, though touching down on none of those worlds. Two occurred outside this area.

Q: Whom is the Phoenix attacking?

A: A: The targeted ships include the First Destiny (lost with all hands off of Dantooine, carrying a shipment of Datooine wine) and the Terrible Theologian (carrying high-end computer components, destroyed outside of Ord Mantell; the crew survived in escape pods, led by Captain Gellas)

Almost all of the ships had divergent cargo including imperfect but still valuable gems, obscure metals, unique wines, a cache of old Krath blaster rifles, holovid components, starship navigation components, etc. They share the trait of being relatively small, fairly expensive, and highly portable. All but two of the ships had passed through Taris within a month of being attacked by the Obsidian Phoenix

It’s the exceptions to the rule that prove most interesting. The Phoenix has attacked 12 ships over the last eight months. Ten were within its normal hunting grounds, but there are two that were not.

The Startrader was slow-moving cargo/passenger freighter carrying low-grade agricultural equipment and supplies to the Outer Rim agricultural world of Kaldrik. Examining its passenger manifest reveals it was transporting a Kel Dor Jedi named Num Feng (Jedi 10). The ship was destroyed as it arrived in Kaldrik space, and Num Feng was never found.

The other ship was the Sapphire Solace. It was a Science Academy-chartered ship that had been exploring the shattered moon of Teleron V in the Outer Rim.

Neither ship passed through Taris.

Q: We should know a bit about the Phoenix from its days around Zebulon. Perhaps what kind of weapons and tactics it used in the past?

A: Korinth Cloudskimmer, a captain for Starrior Expeditions, has been keeping up with the pirate investigations on Zebulon. The original pirate attacks targeted vessels that carried specialized mining and exploration equipment (on the way to the Prime) as well as rare gems, metals and wood (on the way back from the Prime).

Their modus operandi involved jamming long-range communications using an electronics package on their freighter, disabling the enemy ship, boarding it, stealing what they needed, and then blowing the ship. They would occasionally take prisoners if it suited them. Their attack freighters were occasionally augmented by a wing of small interceptor-class starfighters, but they had to abandon those fighters on Zebulon.

To the best of the colony’s knowledge, the pirates only ever attacked ships they knew everything about – flight plans, cargo, ship’s complement. The only exception were when they attacked the Ruby Raptor when it was carrying the heroes to the Prime to investigate the pirates, but even then they knew the flight path and the crew complement; they just underestimated their effectiveness.

Q: Where does the Obsidian Phoenix berth?

A: According to Koth, At Point Nadir, a comet-based shadowport located inside this triangle of space.

Q: What does Koth know about Point Nadir?

A: Koth has never been to the shadowport, but knows more about it than Highlife. The port is apparently located in some sort of rogue planetoid in the Outer Rim, possibly a comet or asteroid. It is ruled by the Anjiliac clan of Hutts, and they take its security very seriously; people have died simply for talking about it.

Q. Highlife is going to start studying the local star charts. I'm looking for spacial anomalies, asteroid belts, wreckage fields... basically anything we could possibly use to our advantage in a starship battle with the Phoenix.

The Ghost Walk Cluster immediately springs to mind. While not part of the Obsidian Phoenix’s normal hunting grounds, it is in the Outer Rim and has something the pirates have already expressed an interest in: the Rock Garden of Qualis and the Monastery of Celestial Balance located there. The would-be Jedi informer Dobsin (“Dobby”) had been looking to sell the location of the Monastery to the (now dead) Sith warrior Braln when they met at The Hole in the Wall on Nar’Shadda. Dobby believed that there was some sort of ancient Jedi relic that allowed the monks to maintain telekinetic mastery over the entire Rock Garden, something that would have been of great interest to the Sith knowledge cult.

The Ghost Walk is also home to the supernova remnants known as The Shrouds (a thin, gaseous nebula that nonetheless might be useful for partially concealing ships in a fight), the Burning Veil (a gaseous shell that’s excellent for hiding ships, but which was created by solar flare eruptions … and those flares can be dangerous) and the Boomer Debris Field (home to the overlapping Oort Clouds of the stars Anteholo and Boron, as well as several thousand mines. It is also home to the shadowport known as Bor Nik Tros (aka The Haunt), where the Aeon Harrier once set down for repairs.

Naturally, the cometary cloud around Ord Mantell is another excellent option (especially given that you have a hidden battlestation there now. :)) If you'd like other options, let me know and I'll come up with them. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Re: The Hunt for the Obsidian Phoenix

Post by erilar »

So, perhaps we can create a juicy target to entice the pirates into an ambush? A freighter (the Regress) shipment supposedly laden with some expensive, but easily portable, cutting edge communications processor chips or some such?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

erilar wrote:So, perhaps we can create a juicy target to entice the pirates into an ambush? A freighter (the Regress) shipment supposedly laden with some expensive, but easily portable, cutting edge communications processor chips or some such?
This is what I was thinking, except for using the Regress as bait. Not because I'm not willing to be the bait (lets be honest, I'd prefer not to be, but would on the right conditions), but because the Pirates know the Regress. It was their ship. Using the Regress may tip them off. I'm thinking two options: 1) BT is in the market for a second freighter. We could purchase that ship and use it as bait or 2) BT has done a bunch of work for Starrior Expeditions, and have great relations with Capt. Cloudskimmer. We might be able to talk them into helping take out the pirates once and for all. Plus it wouldn't be a bad plan to have another ship we could rely on (just in case Koth isn't on the up and up).

I also have an idea for the high end electronics. BT is a business partner with a company on Ryloth who produces cutting edge hyperdrives. Perhaps we could be "transporting" a load of these?
erilar

Post by erilar »

Hardcorhobbs wrote: I also have an idea for the high end electronics. BT is a business partner with a company on Ryloth who produces cutting edge hyperdrives. Perhaps we could be "transporting" a load of these?
Okay, except are these bulky parts? So far, it looks like the pirates like expensive and highly portable merchandise (the Star Wars equivalent of gems in D&D). That's why I was thinking high-tech chips - small and expensive.

We don't necessarily have to actually obtain this cargo - the shipping manifest just needs to look like we are carrying it. Maybe Capt Cloudskimmer and/or the authorities on Zeb Beta could help us set up this fake paper trail?? Or some hacking on Zulen's part?
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:I also have an idea for the high end electronics. BT is a business partner with a company on Ryloth who produces cutting edge hyperdrives. Perhaps we could be "transporting" a load of these?
Actually, those are navicomputers, not hyperdrives. Much more portable. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Heh, yeah I meant navicomputers...
erilar wrote:We don't necessarily have to actually obtain this cargo - the shipping manifest just needs to look like we are carrying it. Maybe Capt Cloudskimmer and/or the authorities on Zeb Beta could help us set up this fake paper trail?? Or some hacking on Zulen's part?
This is exactly why I was figuring on using this company. We're already business partners, it wouldn't be hard to get them to create the paper trail.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

If we don't want to use the Regress for fear of tipping off the pirates, how about we use Koth's ship as bait?

And we could set the trap at our new asteroid base. Have him start transmitting distress codes, reporting that he's being attacked by drones and then that he's been disabled by the drones. And we'll see who comes looking. :)

But the Jedi will have to try and hide their presense from the Dark Lady. That may be tricky.
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

EvilGenius wrote:If we don't want to use the Regress for fear of tipping off the pirates, how about we use Koth's ship as bait?
FYI Koth doesn't have a freighter.
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

NukeHavoc wrote:
EvilGenius wrote:If we don't want to use the Regress for fear of tipping off the pirates, how about we use Koth's ship as bait?
FYI Koth doesn't have a freighter.

(best Jess impersonation). USELESS!!! :P :)
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

You know, I still wanna go see the shadow port. In person. I PROMISE to try and be sneaky!!!!!!!! :D

Ooooooo! Maybe we could pretend to be selling info on Sith stuff, like the crazy creating teleporty stuff!!!! I bet THAT would lure the sith chick out!!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

RIP Korinth Cloudskimmer and the rest of the Starrior Expeditions crew who came to help us. If only the DM hadn't used his evil DM powers to hit you with criticals destroying both your ships outright... :(
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Guys, thanks much for a great round of gaming and socializing last night. Much fun was had. And that space battle was indeed epic. :)
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:RIP Korinth Cloudskimmer and the rest of the Starrior Expeditions crew who came to help us. If only the DM hadn't used his evil DM powers to hit you with criticals destroying both your ships outright... :(
yeah, critical with concussion missiles!! 8d10x4!!!!

But to be fair, I scored two crits with the laser turret in the Arc Fighter and one when I rolled for Whiskey in the Harrier. :). Plus the crit that Cory rolled as Whiskey to end the battle. It was a pretty deadly night all around. :)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Thanks for battling through to the end guys -- I think it was well worth staying up until 2 a.m. :)
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

Good stuff!

Anyone interested in running some SW ship combats, for fun, sometime?

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/