Offline for a while

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
NukeHavoc

Offline for a while

Post by NukeHavoc »

I'm going to be offline for a while, basically until I can get a wireless connection working for my Xbox 360. I'm also looking at switching the entire house over to wireless N, but I have to verify that my various devices can support it (IIRC, the airport express that I have can't do N because it's one of the older ones, which is a potential sticking point as that handles the printer).

I expect to be back online in a month or so (sooner if I can find my G wireless bridge...)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Re: Offline for a while

Post by erilar »

Ken - I have a wireless G adapter for 360. We're currently using it for Zack's 360, but there's ethernet in his room - I've simply been putting off buying a switch.

Lemme look into a switch, since that's something I wanted to do anyway, and I can lend you our 360 wireless dongle until you can find yours. Microsoft's prices for those things are ridiculous...
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

That'd be cool. I'm also looking at getting a wireless router and reformatting it with some open source software to server as a bridge for all of the game room devices, but finding the time to do the research has been difficult. :)

So yeah, I'd love to borrow your bridge in the meantime. Thanks!

ken
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ordered Zack's ethernet switch today, so whenever Amazon gets it to us. :)
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Ken - we obviously haven't gotten our switch yet, but would an Airport Express work for you until you decide what you're doing with your router setup? We have one we're not currently using.

You link up the Express with your router, and then you should be able to connect it to your Xbox with an ethernet cable, right? (We used to use this one to stream music, so I'm not 100% sure what it's capable of.) this one only supports 802.11G, and we haven't flashed the firmware in ages, so not sure what wireless security protocols is supports?
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

erilar wrote:Ken - we obviously haven't gotten our switch yet, but would an Airport Express work for you until you decide what you're doing with your router setup? We have one we're not currently using.

You link up the Express with your router, and then you should be able to connect it to your Xbox with an ethernet cable, right? (We used to use this one to stream music, so I'm not 100% sure what it's capable of.) this one only supports 802.11G, and we haven't flashed the firmware in ages, so not sure what wireless security protocols is supports?
I looked into this, and it turns out that it's dependent on the version of Airport Express. If it's one of the newer ones then you can use the Ethernet port. If it's one of the older ones, then that port's only useful for connecting it to a router or DSL modem. Unfortunately both of my Airport Expresses are the older varieties.

Anyway, I think it's worth a try.