XBLA Magic: the Gathering

Discussions of games for Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PC, Mac and other platforms.
erilar

XBLA Magic: the Gathering

Post by erilar »

I just heard this morning that there's a second Magic expansion in the works for a 2010 release. It adds new decks, new AI opponents, and 3 new cards for each of the existing decks.

Bob, just as an FYI since you're a new potential player - you absolutely won't need to buy any expansions to compete in XBLA Magic. The decks from the original release are just as powerful as the ones from the expansion(s). Didn't want you thinking this would be a cash race like the tabletop version. Basically, the attraction of the expansions is simply more variety once you've played the pack-in decks a lot. So far, the game is very well balanced.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
EvilGenius

Re: XBLA Magic: the Gathering

Post by EvilGenius »

Ok, so I downloaded the full MtG game on Friday. I've played the basic Green deck to the final opponent. I like it so far. I can DEFINITELY see how this was as addicting or more addicting than HeroCrak!

And I have some of the same types of issues with the game as well. My opponent keeps hitting me with spells from the Black deck. They're insta-kills (Terror, for example) and I find the mechanic completely overpowering. They cost 1 mana to cast and can instantly destroy a creature that I had to build up to for like, 7 turns. It's even worse when I've added an enchant or two to the creature first! :)

It's a fun game, and I want to play through with the Angel deck next. But there are just some of those things which really annoy me whenever I see them ......

Definitly looking forward to playing games against you guys, though!
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, that black deck is designed around card advantage primarily (via forcing discards from your hand) and creature destruction secondarily. Since your green deck is designed completely around creatures, that deck will be one of your tougher opponents.

That said, your green deck is designed around getting lots of sizable creatures out very quickly. Even the smaller critters can be pumped up to dangerous strength with Giant Growth and/or Overrun. So, don't worry too much about one creature getting blown up. If your deck is working correctly, you'll just replace it with an even bigger critter next turn. Leverage this deck's strengths by playing cards early on that get you more lands on the table or into your hand, and you'll soon be making critters way faster then she can kill them.

Note that the black card Terror is actually pretty balanced. Even though it's only two mana, it can't kill black or artifact creatures. For only one mana, blue could also zap a critter via Unsummon, for instance. Red could also blow up many critters with direct damage with two mana. White could make it useless via Pacifism, etc.

Many two-color, more advanced decks won't fall to this mono black deck as easily. White and green mono-color decks may have slight weaknesses to that black deck, while mono black will be weaker against artifact decks or those that also contain black.

Since there are only a limited number of decks here - especially in the base game - there is a little bit or rock, paper, scissors going on. As you unlock more of the cards for green though, I think you'll find it to be very powerful. It's just a one trick pony - critters and more critters.
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
erilar

Post by erilar »

Also, be sure to play through the challenges, or whatever they call them. They are basically one-turn puzzles (some VERY tricky), and also help to teach you some pretty cool tricks in the process.

As you play more and more, you'll find that you continue to have epiphanies and learn deeper and deeper strategies - just like we did with HeroClix. I think the M:tG strategy is much deeper and more elegant though. Even though we can't make our own decks on XBL, the challenge is to discover exactly what each deck was designed to do, and playing towards that strategy. It's a great feeling when the deck is just clicking and you're getting decent draws - you'll simply crush your opponent if you play the proper cards at the proper time.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

I agree with Lance; there's a lot of depth there, but it takes time to tease them out. :)

The instant kill decks can be your most frustrating opponents -- the blue decks are even worse than the black one -- but once you figure out their tricks, you'll be able to adjust your strategy accordingly. With the Green Creature deck, it's all about getting a few critters out quickly and hammering your opponent with Giant Growth early on while simultaneously getting as many land cards in play as possible. When that deck is firing on all cylinders, you can have 4-5 land cards out while your opponent is stuck with 2-3.

From a munchkin "watch me do 30 points of damage to you in a single round" perspective, I think the Green/Black elf deck wins hands down. It's all about these weanie elves banding together to suddenly do massive amounts of damage as you play uber cards that say, grant each creature a +1 bonus for each similar creature in play (e.g. you have 3 elves out, now you have +3 to each elf) coupled with other super cards that let you spawn a 1/1 elf creature when you cast a green spell.

It's awesome. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I agree with all of the strategy points you're making, and I like the green deck a lot for exactly the reasons stated. I always end up with 8+ land cards and I often have a bunch of critters out with blanchwood armor, then I get giant growth and overrun and well, it's beautiful. :). I've taken a few opponents down to -30 land. Even got an achievement for it. :). I've unlocked 16 out of the 17 cards for it, but I want that last card!! :)

I find the green deck is also weak against flyers. Spiders have reach, and I think the biggest wyrm may have reach, but otherwise I have difficulty defending against flyers. It's a particular problem vs blue and white decks.

I still think the insta-kill cards are a little too powerful. All of the cancel, pacifism, terrorize cards cost very little to play, seem abundant, and can take out very powerful creatures.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Dude, I can't wait til we can play this all together again - fear my "lean-back" elves! :)

Seriously, I agree here that the game is greatly balanced. At first, I had some problems with certain decks - even red, for instance, would burn my green guys right to the ground with axes and stupid one-point spell-casting "Tim" wizards. And yeah, frustrating. But, once I played a few hands, I really found that any deck could take out any given deck, given the luck of the draw and employing good strategy. Much fun to be had.

Definitely do the challenges - I learned a great deal that helped my strategies. Sure, I would have probably grokked these things on my own eventually, but these really brought the ideas, and the accompanying fun, with alacrity. And, they aren't all easy, and there's a cetain joy in accomplishing them, as well.

My biggest gripe is the stupid DB's who dump a game when it looks like they will lose - I know it's part of online play, but it still sucks.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

erilar wrote:Since there are only a limited number of decks here - especially in the base game - there is a little bit or rock, paper, scissors going on.
Surely you mean: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock! :)
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

EvilGenius wrote:I agree with all of the strategy points you're making, and I like the green deck a lot for exactly the reasons stated. I always end up with 8+ land cards and I often have a bunch of critters out with blanchwood armor, then I get giant growth and overrun and well, it's beautiful. :). I've taken a few opponents down to -30 land. Even got an achievement for it. :). I've unlocked 16 out of the 17 cards for it, but I want that last card!! :)

I find the green deck is also weak against flyers. Spiders have reach, and I think the biggest wyrm may have reach, but otherwise I have difficulty defending against flyers. It's a particular problem vs blue and white decks.

I still think the insta-kill cards are a little too powerful. All of the cancel, pacifism, terrorize cards cost very little to play, seem abundant, and can take out very powerful creatures.
Yeah, they seem plentiful at first, but get your opponent to pacify a few Lizard monks because they can regenerate, and watch him quail when you *then* bring out the wyrm and he's got no more pacifys - its all about timing. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Jonkga wrote:Surely you mean: Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock! :)
For this to work we can't all pick Spock...
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

So speaking of playing online together, when is anyone available for a little online magic?
Last edited by EvilGenius on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'll probably be on around 11:30pm tonight... :)
erilar

Post by erilar »

Well, tomorrow is XBL night, so I should def be able to play then. Not sure about tonight yet though. Fairly certain I won't be up for Jon's 11:30p arrival. :)

(FYI, my internets seem to be fixed for reals now. Verizon finally came to the house last Thur and checked the line quality, etc. The capacitance was overly high considering our close proximity (5300 ft) to the central office. So, they switched our physical routing to a different path, and swapped out the card at the central office. We're supposedly running on all new hardware now, but time will tell...)

I was actually online last night, but playing possum due to trying to finish BC2 for the Nuketown review. Need to get some BC2 multiplayer in tonight if possible.
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

I'll be around tomorrow night also - much earlier, as it's my day off. :)
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Sorry, I'm out. My company is still in town until Thursday.