Mando Clan Name

Our KOTOR campaign.
Hardcorhobbs

Mando Clan Name

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

So my thought for the Mandalorian Interlude is that you are all from the same clan. This will make it very easy to link you all together, plus frankly I already worked this angle into my arc ;)

So, anyone have any clan name suggestions?
Jonkga

Re: Mando Clan Name

Post by Jonkga »

I don't even know what would be appropriate - what are the clan naming conventions?

Are they given D&D goblin-tribe style names like the "Red Blades"?

Or, do they name the clan after it's strongest member, like the "Fetts"?

Or, do they follow a more Scottish clan name style convention?

I've no idea. The movies don't mention clan names, and I've never read any of the expanded universe stuff, so someone else is probably going to need to weigh in on this.
"Here are your waters and your watering place.
Drink and be whole again beyond confusion."
-- "Directive" by Robert Frost
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

There are no naming conventions that I can see. I say just come up with a cool sounding name. Here are the examples from Wookieepedia: Beviin, Bralor, Fett, Ordo, Skirata, Vevut.

Read more here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Hardcorhobbs wrote:There are no naming conventions that I can see. I say just come up with a cool sounding name. Here are the examples from Wookieepedia: Beviin, Bralor, Fett, Ordo, Skirata, Vevut. Read more here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian
Exactly so. I spent a fair amount of time researching that the other day, and came to the same conclusion. It's basically the rule of cool. :)
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

Yeah, but with both Fett and Ordo listed, it seems to be last name = clan name thing (Boba Fett, Canderous Ordo).
Jonkga

Post by Jonkga »

So, I did some reading on Wookieepedia, and it seems that while some of the leaders of clans used their name for the clan name (Fett, Ordo, etc.) it seems not everyone in the clan followed suit.

And, there was much written on the Mando'a language, so I started looking through vocabulary lists for some insight.

I was putting together phrases like "kot be olan" meaning "strength of a hundred", but while these phrases communicate that "small clan that's tougher than their size would indicate" feel I was going for, they don't seem to don't seem to fit with the names that were presented as sample names.

So, I suggest that we call ourselves Clan Olan, roughly translating to "the Hundred". It gives it a militaristic feel, and is implies without really explaining a cohesive, threatening group. And, in cryptic Mandalorian fashion, we certainly don't have to explain it to those we conquer when they ask - that is until they join us. ;)
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Jonkga wrote:So, I suggest that we call ourselves Clan Olan, roughly translating to "the Hundred". It gives it a militaristic feel, and is implies without really explaining a cohesive, threatening group. And, in cryptic Mandalorian fashion, we certainly don't have to explain it to those we conquer when they ask - that is until they join us. ;)
I like it!
"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me. I'll try and be a tad more quiet as I desperately struggle to break free -- and save all creation!" -- Doctor Strange
erilar

Post by erilar »

Sounds good to me!
"This enemy you cannot kill. You can only drive it back damaged into the depths, and teach your children to watch the waves for its return." - Quellcrist Falconer
setanta14

Post by setanta14 »

But Randy Richards was an Olan Mills photographer... not cool.
NukeHavoc

Post by NukeHavoc »

Pah. That only matters in Greyhawk...
Lars Porsenna

Post by Lars Porsenna »

While I have no problem with the Olan clan name, how about Kotbelan? Or Kobelan?

Damon.
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
Modeling the Ecuadorian Military: https://ecuadorianmilitary.blogspot.com/
My Book Blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
My Minis Blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
EvilGenius

Post by EvilGenius »

I like Olan. Easy to say, easy to shout as a warcry. :)
Another daring escape for the intrepid Spaceman Spiff!
Hardcorhobbs

Post by Hardcorhobbs »

Nice Jon! I like it!